Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Beer Lovers Chat thread

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChapelTom)
    Not where I live in the North!

Been on Beers of Europe, I also have a beer from each of these countries coming! Will take my tally to 41 countries I've tried beer from!

Austria
    Bangladesh
    Barbados
    Canada
    Estonia
    Ethopia
    Finland
    Greece
    Guatemala
    Jamaica
    Kenya
    Laos
    Latvia
    Mauritus
    Namibia
    Romania
    Slovenia
    South korea
    Thailand
    Vietnam
    You sound like a good pub buddy, chatting and trying out / drinking beers! Whay :P
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Beers of Europe is a place that sells beer and has an online shop. So decided to order some beer from 'odd' countries.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you can ever get there in person I recommend it, it's so good, literally just a warehouse of beer, beer glasses, spirits, wines, everything. It's just amazing, my mates dad used to own it (or still does, I can't remember)
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Went to Cambridge beer festival yesterday (twice). Tried about 10 beers, some great stuff - we agreed that the German beers were the best, although I tried not to say it too loud in case I got my Camra membership revoked for treason. I'll be back at the weekend to see what's left!
    • 68 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Went to Cambridge beer festival yesterday (twice). Tried about 10 beers, some great stuff - we agreed that the German beers were the best, although I tried not to say it too loud in case I got my Camra membership revoked for treason. I'll be back at the weekend to see what's left!
    Any particular faves I should check out? :tong:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I'm trying more foreign ales as well as real ale, purely as some of the places I like to visit only have 2-3 hand pulls on.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ)
    The blackbar stuff was good, I had a couple of theirs. I also had Ape Ale - which was a bit like Brewdog Punk. Had a couple of nice milds.

The foreign beers were on rotation so it depends whats on. I tried a vollbier, a kolsch a hefeweizen and a dunkel lager. The dunkel was the best, one of the nicest I've tried. I'm looking out for a Marzen next time.

Didn't have a single bad beer. I'll probably be back at least 2 or 3 more times this week, I've got at least 10 more I want to try, its only a 15 minute walk from my flat and I get free entry so why not?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I'm trying more foreign ales as well as real ale, purely as some of the places I like to visit only have 2-3 hand pulls on.
    Yeah, sometimes I'm in the mood for real ale, sometimes I want something cold, and its nice to have something that is both cold and tasty, which is where bog standard lagers don't really cut it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have a brilliant local near me with 5 real ales on tap, 3-4 change pretty much every day! Currently loving Doom Bar though, dark, fruity, bitter. Common as it may be, it's quite a favourite at the moment!

Still have a gallon of beer waiting for me there after winning their pub quiz
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, sometimes I'm in the mood for real ale, sometimes I want something cold, and its nice to have something that is both cold and tasty, which is where bog standard lagers don't really cut it.
    I feel like this in the Summer sometimes - I'll want a break from the dark ales and stouts and have something lighter, but I don't often go for blonde or amber ales. These are the times I revert to a European pale lager, although I'm normally longing for the barely-existent Spanish homebrew lagers you get in the middle of nowhere at some dodgy tapas bar.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some of the hoppier, summer ales I've had recently have been foul. They easily turn bad and the last two I had were either off or just foul tasting. I think for the next few weeks I'll stick to Pilsners, Weizens, Belgian Whites and darker ales.

Its Mild May and I'm hoping to find plenty of milds today/Friday.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some of the hoppier, summer ales I've had recently have been foul. They easily turn bad and the last two I had were either off or just foul tasting. I think for the next few weeks I'll stick to Pilsners, Weizens, Belgian Whites and darker ales.

Its Mild May and I'm hoping to find plenty of milds today/Friday.
    I love Mild, its one of the only two English beer styles I really love, a nice light nutty mild and a big strong hoppy IPA. Stouts/Porters I find a bit too bitter, and golden ales I find a bit insipid and vegetably.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's very irritating that they hold a beer festival during exam term!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    It's very irritating that they hold a beer festival during exam term!
    I finished my exams about a week ago, so it couldn't be better timing thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thought I'd join this thread as i'm mad on real ale! Seen someone on here talk about Doombar and from previous experience, I'm not to mad on that ale, however it is okay I suppose. Can't knock any Fuller's Beers really, everyone of them fantastic along with Jennings and Theakston's beers. Moving into Sheffield Hallam Uni in September near Central Quay so not far off the famous Kelham Island. What a treat!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Got myself a large bottle of Hoegaarden, brilliant.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did a session that included:

Brooklyn Lager
    Anchor Porter, Steam
    Delirium Blonde
    Erdinger Kristal
    Segres
    Thornbridge Halcyon
    Red Willow Endless

Plus about 7 real ales before that
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a good session Tom. I think I've had a couple of those. Which was the best?

I am now off to the beer festival for a large cheese platter and about 10 halves of different beers. Enjoy your Thursday evenings, I will certainly enjoy mine.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Beer mixed with Jager...

Spoiler:
    Show

It'll get you drunk pretty quickly.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ)

What did you try/what did you think?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: November 1, 2013
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.