Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

SWTOR failing?

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:

As highlighted in the 2 red boxes, is it not a bit soon for such a new mmo to offer free returns and "invite a friend" on the front page?
    Also I heard that it recently has open weekends as well.
    Does this mean that they do not have as many players as they wanted/need?

Can anyone who plays SWTOR say what the server loads are like; are they full, medium load, or empty, and how are current player trends going?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    83 views and no comments? :curious:
    Well then either no one does play SWTOR thus can't comment, or there is a lot of denial going on.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    SWTOR is fun soloey for the story, everything else in the game is a mirror of WoW.

I lol'd at the return now and play for up to 7 days...I expect that from WoW or something older than 4-6 months? Obviously players are leaving in the hundreds, I left within one month myself.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    83 views and no comments? :curious:
    Well then either no one does play SWTOR thus can't comment, or there is a lot of denial going on.
    I just wanted to know what SWTOR stood for.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I played the game for <1month. I found it completely boring anda repetition of WoW but with less fun to it to be honest, from what i've heard from other gamers, the game is losing players at a fast rate.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    It seems people are leaving by the truckload; the few friends I had who tried it gave up after less than a month. Said it just wasn't fun at all.

I think most gamers are putting what little mmo-faith they have left in Guild Wars 2
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    I think most gamers are putting what little mmo-faith they have left in Guild Wars 2
    I really don't know why people are putting faith in GW2. The gameplay doesn't look too wildly different from most mmos, and the voice acting is pretty bad. After experiencing SWTOR's awesome storylines and voice acting (the only 2 good things about swtor) it sorta makes GW2's story-telling and acting really bad.

MMOs have the worst gameplay of any genre. And they are all missing the 1 thing that they desperately need: Community Control. The only MMO that has this is EVE, which is probably why it's still going so strong. EVE is completely controlled by its community. Why don't other developers follow suit? I thought devs loved to steal.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course people are leaving.

They expect every game to have exactly the same features and the same amount of content as WoW or another game on launch despite it taking years for those games to get to that stage.

Though, there are a lot of performance issues that people claim to be experiencing.

But then again it's really hard to tell imo. People try games for the first 30 days and decide they don't want to play it any more whereas others continue to subscribe for the rest of the games life.

So far I've found it's more leaned towards solo and that's fun for sure. But I heard there isn't much endgame content or something. Too many people divided among the servers is also painful if you're on a low population server (but transfers are on the way!)
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really, really wanted SWTOR to be amazing, and certainly the story (or stories) is, but there's just not much to do apart from that.

So I created a new EVE account. Forgot how amazing it is. EVE forever.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why did they make this and not KOTOR III?

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??????
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TM94)
    Why did they make this and not KOTOR III?

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??????
    I know
    A series that had good fighting, a fantastic storyline, and this is the drivel we get. Part of me does hope that it fails as punishment towards Bioware ****ting on their KOTOR fanbase.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    The subscription method is outdated. This is why I'm playing Guild Wars 2 and not SWTOR. Why no KOTOR III? It's not like they can't use the Star Wars IP. Maybe Obsidian should make it using Dragon Age's engine?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I played it for about a month... ... the storyline elements were entertaining enough, but yeah, I couldn't get over the "Single player KOTOR 3 would have been better" - and in fact, even thinking of how ME3 implemented multiplayer - KOTOR 3 could still have featured the "4 player multiplayer" missions (can't even remember what they were called) from SWTOR as a multiplayer element, as they were quite fun. I liked the dialogue choice rolls. Hilarious when 1 person is darkside and wants to kill someone and the other three are lightside and don't, then the roll goes to a killer, and the other three are like "NooOOoOoOooo!! Percy!! ". Heh. But yeah that would have been awesome - optional multiplayer quests in a mainly single-player proper KOTOR 3. Which is basically what SWTOR ended up being. Except with a flimsier storyline, no cutscenes, and too much grinding required to be a fun single-player experience.

Oh well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know
    A series that had good fighting, a fantastic storyline, and this is the drivel we get. Part of me does hope that it fails as punishment towards Bioware ****ting on their KOTOR fanbase.
    I second that.

Bioware has pissed me off with pretty much everything they've done since EA took over.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I played swtor and quit after the first month... None of my guild played it anymore, just after launch there were 100+ people in the main space station thing then after a month you would be lucky if there were over 4. I nicely wasted £40 on that game

Hopefully TERA will be better or ill just get the panda game.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are two types of MMORPG. Those that copy WoW and those that try something new. Whenever a new MMO launches it usually goes something like this:

MMO fan tries innovative MMO: "Aww, but it's not like WoW!" Goes back to playing WoW.
    or
    MMO fan tries WoW Clone: "Aww, this is just a rip off of WoW!" Goes back to playing WoW.

And so the circle is complete.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hostile17)
    I second that.

Bioware has pissed me off with pretty much everything they've done since EA took over.

Haha. The amount of hate EA get is cute. If 'gamers' these days didn't have such ****ty taste EA wouldn't be nearly so evil.

/content with occasionally playing games from the true 'golden age' of gaming, i.e. c. 1995 to c. 2005
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maturestudy)
    There are two types of MMORPG. Those that copy WoW and those that try something new. Whenever a new MMO launches it usually goes something like this:

MMO fan tries innovative MMO: "Aww, but it's not like WoW!" Goes back to playing WoW.
    or
    MMO fan tries WoW Clone: "Aww, this is just a rip off of WoW!" Goes back to playing WoW.

And so the circle is complete.
    The problem is though that 99% of games fall into the second example. Name me one mmorpg which is not Eve, is not a WoW clone, and was not utter crap

(Original post by concubine)
    Haha. The amount of hate EA get is cute. If 'gamers' these days didn't have such ****ty taste EA wouldn't be nearly so evil.

/content with occasionally playing games from the true 'golden age' of gaming, i.e. c. 1995 to c. 2005
    From what I have seen, it has nothing to do with taste, but everything to do with addiction. I say this due to the amount of people commenting on how they need a new game. Not want, nor would like, but need a new game. That is just damn worrying.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The problem is though that 99% of games fall into the second example. Name me one mmorpg which is not Eve, is not a WoW clone, and was not utter crap
    Ah, it's an interesting point. You see, it's entire subjective.

What makes a game a WoW clone? Two factions pitted against each other? Hotkey button combat? Instanced dungeons? Raiding for purple coloured loot? The fact is that WoW did not invent any of these, therefore using the term WoW clone is completely inappropriate.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maturestudy)
    Ah, it's an interesting point. You see, it's entire subjective.

What makes a game a WoW clone? Two factions pitted against each other? Hotkey button combat? Instanced dungeons? Raiding for purple coloured loot? The fact is that WoW did not invent any of these, therefore using the term WoW clone is completely inappropriate.
    Well - everything.
    The combat is the same, the layout of the game (no storyline, walls of texts from different NPC's, same factions (good v bad), same classes, same ****ty graphics, same dungeons/raids/end-game, even the same coloured loot.

Yes, EQ made most of it, but WoW did it the best and made it "commercial" and is the largest competition, like how apple is to the mp3 player. But it all comes back down to: Why is every mmorpg like WoW?
Updated: April 29, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.