The Student Room Group

Sociology Unit 4 - Crime - 19th June 2012 - Notes - Disscussion and more

Scroll to see replies

Original post by irumz93
-
Um lol, i don't think it will as it came up in Jan 2012 i think. However, FAMOUS LAST WORDS lol :wink:

LOL
I reckon Merton's strain theory/ethnicity/suicide/realism or punishment might come up! It's defo between thosee topicss
Guys are theories: Merton, Cohen, Miller and Cloward and Ohlin ALL Functionalist subcultural theories? What do they all even belong to... I just spend time revising them but don't know who they belong to? :s-smilie:
Original post by Unientry2012
Guys are theories: Merton, Cohen, Miller and Cloward and Ohlin ALL Functionalist subcultural theories? What do they all even belong to... I just spend time revising them but don't know who they belong to? :s-smilie:

Merton is seperate to subcultural theory, he has his own theory (Strain), don't think Cohen is subcultural either but not 100% sure on that one.
Reply 824
Original post by onlyyouknowbest
Here are some notes that I made on action theories! I don't know if it's clear to you guys, but I understand it. If anybody needs help with action theories...feel free to PM me or reply :smile: I'm happy to help!

That was brilliant thanks!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Where would you talk about crime prevention and punishment?
For crime prevention, the media could be used in that. Situational crime prevention, though, could also for example be a left realist idea as it is done over time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JamesR1993
For crime prevention, the media could be used in that. Situational crime prevention, though, could also for example be a left realist idea as it is done over time.

Aint done the media yet, just starting suicide, but ty, yeha i just see that you could easily link them to the realist ideas, e.g the bus terminal being redesigned with the right realist
Original post by coolasacucumber
Aint done the media yet, just starting suicide, but ty, yeha i just see that you could easily link them to the realist ideas, e.g the bus terminal being redesigned with the right realist

bus terminal???
bus terminal???

Anti-vandalism i reckon.

Right realism is more common though, as it is quick and easy for governments to do as well as usually being favoured by the voters. (brief part of media for ya :tongue:)
Original post by Rads.X
That was brilliant thanks!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

You're welcome :smile:
Original post by JamesR1993
Anti-vandalism i reckon.

Right realism is more common though, as it is quick and easy for governments to do as well as usually being favoured by the voters. (brief part of media for ya :tongue:)

Ohhhh, all that "broken window thesis" stuff. Boy I hope thats right and not left or i'll look like a total twit haha. Haven't yet got to realists.

For crime and deviance (for Functionalism) there are three parts:
Durkheim's functionalist theory of crime
Merton strain theory
Cloward and Ohlin subcultural theories

Merton, Cohen, Durkehim, Cloward and Ohlin are the only sociologists for functionalism (crime and deviance section)
bus terminal???

Felson noticed the port authority bus terminal was subject to bag thefts and homeless people washing in the sinks, so he redesigned it making smaller sinks and the cubicles bigger so bag could go in with the person and crime went down. This links to the right realist 'broken windows' theory by Wilson and Kellings

Hope that clears things up
For crime and deviance (for Functionalism) there are three parts:
Durkheim's functionalist theory of crime
Merton strain theory
Cloward and Ohlin subcultural theories

Merton, Cohen, Durkehim, Cloward and Ohlin are the only sociologists for functionalism (crime and deviance section)

Oh your so kind to answer, thank you :biggrin:

Felson noticed the port authority bus terminal was subject to bag thefts and homeless people washing in the sinks, so he redesigned it making smaller sinks and the cubicles bigger so bag could go in with the person and crime went down. This links to the right realist 'broken windows' theory by Wilson and Kellings

Oh your brilliant, your explanation brought back memories of my teacher explaining. Thanks x

Or you could talk about the 'Clean car programme' if that example is too difficult to remember!

The clean car programme basically got rid of all cars in the subways in the USA and were only returned to its owners after graffiti was removed...this was an effective form of environmental crime prevention as it ultimately abolished graffiti in subways! (Environmental crime prevention is influenced by Wilson and Kelling's article on broken windows) ...
Or you could talk about the 'Clean car programme' if that example is too difficult to remember!

The clean car programme basically got rid of all cars in the subways in the USA and were only returned to its owners after graffiti was removed...this was an effective form of environmental crime prevention as it ultimately abolished graffiti in subways! (Environmental crime prevention is influenced by Wilson and Kelling's article on broken windows) ...

clean car and bus terminal, you got it. I think I'd briefly remember them both.
Gosh you people are so helpful! It isn't like this at my college where people just hate on other people who are trying to do well and NOBODY helps anyone. Like dog eat dog :damnmate:
Or hardened postboxes :tongue: that's the one i remember haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending