The Student Room Group

Are parents generally more protective of daughters than sons?

Scroll to see replies

awwww sheeeeiiiittttttt the kid lives the ****ing life, mad jelly son
Reply 61
dog the kid is the f'ing kid everyone else take heeeeeeed!
Reply 62
It can depend on the situation most of the time. A son who has a disability or any other thing which could make him vulnerable in the society would need protection. If the daughter was very attractive and if boys started touching her, she would need protection. In both instances, protection should be provided if they cant look after themselves. Generally, people tend to protect girls more. But there can be overprotective parents who treat sons like girls.
Besides the whole rape issue, (rapes tend to occur with people who they know, which is also the defence for girls being able to wear what they want where they want etc) what actually makes girls more "vunerable"?

Males are significantly in greater risk of being robbed, mugged, or seriously injured at night when alone. Is it just the whole "physically weaker = more likley to get pyhsically assaulted" mindset or even some form of chivalry here, or am I just missing something?
Reply 64
This definetely applies to asian families..

My parents are so protective over my sisters (they're both 22 and 23)..

I'm 18 (male) and they're not as protective..
Reply 65
Original post by Multitalented me
If you're a parent is this true? If you were a parent would you be more protective of a daughter than a son or would you protect them equally?

You bet. I'm the eldest and the only girl. Didn't get a mobile phone till I was 16 (my brother got one at 14), didn't go shopping with my friends till I finished my A Levels (bro went with his mates everywhere), didn't get to walk home from school with my friends till year 10.. My parents are far more protective of me than my bro.

If I was a parent, I can see how you would worry more about girls, but I would treat them both equally. It isn't fair on girls for them to miss out on opportunities, while guys get to do whatever they want.
Original post by Multitalented me
My point is that "on the whole" females are physically weaker than males which plays a massive part. My personal belief is that the best parents will protect them both equally. Males are more likely to be victims of physical violence yes but you also have to take into account parents protecting the emotional welfare of their offspring as well.

I agree :yep:
Reply 67
My Mum is really protective about me. I remeber about a year ago I wanted to stay over at my boyfriends but she wouldn't let me. Later I 'missed the last bus' to mine and just went to stay with him. That was the ONLY way I could get her to relax about it. I guess for going around town on my own I was lucky because my brother before me fought hard to go out so for me I guess it was easier.
daughtes are so more portected i know i am im wrapped in cotton wool back home and i've always gotta say what and doing ever small detail means something. cant do anything without being questioned

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending