Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

FILESERVE scamming me: Need help on this

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so i purchased a 6 month membership with Fileserve many months back. I proceed to email them (as there is no other option on the website) for cancellation purposes a couple of days before the 6 months end. I also assume that an email wasn't needed as it very much seemed like recurring memberships were only going for 1 month memberships. However i got a reply back about 4 days later saying my credit card details had been removed. This was after the 6 months, and so i had been charged. Livid, i got back to them threatening court action. I have not had a reply for over a week now. So i can only assume they are trying to pull a quick one. £34.99 at stake here, so a fair bit of dollar.

Now, i am going to get into touch with Lloyds TSB to ask them to reverse this payment. I presume this is right? And what dept should i look into for this?

I can only presume they have no leg to stand on as:
    (A) I emailed before my subscription ended to cancel it
    (B) I'm pretty confident 6 month memberships never recur anyway.
    (C) I have not downloaded one thing since it renewed so they can't say i'm taking advantage of this now.

I presume i shall contact lloyds seeing as fileserve are doing nothing? And anyone else got trouble with them or any other file sharing site?

Cheers
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Ok, so i purchased a 6 month membership with Fileserve many months back. I proceed to email them (as there is no other option on the website) for cancellation purposes a couple of days before the 6 months end. I also assume that an email wasn't needed as it very much seemed like recurring memberships were only going for 1 month memberships. However i got a reply back about 4 days later saying my credit card details had been removed. This was after the 6 months, and so i had been charged. Livid, i got back to them threatening court action. I have not had a reply for over a week now. So i can only assume they are trying to pull a quick one. £34.99 at stake here, so a fair bit of dollar.

Now, i am going to get into touch with Lloyds TSB to ask them to reverse this payment. I presume this is right? And what dept should i look into for this?

I can only presume they have no leg to stand on as:
    (A) I emailed before my subscription ended to cancel it
    (B) I'm pretty confident 6 month memberships never recur anyway.
    (C) I have not downloaded one thing since it renewed so they can't say i'm taking advantage of this now.

I presume i shall contact lloyds seeing as fileserve are doing nothing? And anyone else got trouble with them or any other file sharing site?

Cheers
    Sounds like you are taking all the right steps, just make sure you keep communicating with them in writing alone, the cancellation before the subscription ended is particularly important. Just contact Lloyds Customer service and they will put you through to the correct department, they are usually quite good with that sort of thing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Since you paid with credit card, you will have a easier time getting your money back. Something simmilar happened to me with website hosting. I cancled my supscription way in advance which also included a free domain, somehow they cancled the hosting service but when due still charged me for the domain.

I called the bank, explained, they send me a letter with a form I think it was and to provide evidence of cancellation, printed email, posted back to them and got the money back.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dada55)
    Since you paid with credit card, you will have a easier time getting your money back. Something simmilar happened to me with website hosting. I cancled my supscription way in advance which also included a free domain, somehow they cancled the hosting service but when due still charged me for the domain.

I called the bank, explained, they send me a letter with a form I think it was and to provide evidence of cancellation, printed email, posted back to them and got the money back.
    Yeh i called them up and they will be getting it back to me soon. Fileserve might contest but i emailed them again because they are fundamentally in the wrong as i emailed to cancel before the 180 days were up and i found this in their Terms of Use:

British Pounds Sterling
    (f) Where you select a thirty (30) day Premium Membership, your Payment Method will be charged Nine Pounds Sterling and Ninety-Nine Pence (£9.99). Where you do not cancel your Membership during the thirty (30) day Membership period, your Membership will renew every thirty (30) days atNine Pounds Sterling and Ninety-Nine Pence (£9.99) until canceled. You acknowledge and agree that FileServe™ will not obtain any additional authorization from you for this recurring payment. Every time that you use the Services, you re-affirm that FileServe™ is authorized to charge your Payment Method and to have the fees applied to same.
    (g) Where you select a seventy-five (75) day Premium Membership, your Payment Method will be charged Nineteen Pounds Sterling and Ninety-Nine Pence (£19.99). Membership will renew every seventy-five (75) days at Nineteen Pounds Sterling and Ninety-Nine Pence (£19.99) until canceled. You acknowledge and agree that FileServe™ will not obtain any additional authorization from you for this recurring payment. Every time that you use the Services, you re-affirm that FileServe&trade is authorized to charge your Payment Method and to have the fees applied to same.
    (h) Where you select a hundred and eighty (180) day Premium Membership, your Payment Method will be charged Thirty-Four Pounds Sterling and Ninety-Nine Pence (£34.99).
    (i) Where you select a three hundred and sixty-five (365) day Premium Membership, your Payment Method will be charged Fifty-Nine Pounds Sterling and Ninety-Nine Pence (£59.99).
    (j) Where you select a seven hundred and thirty (730) day Premium Membership, your Payment Method will be charged Ninety-Nine Pounds Sterling and Ninety-Nine Pence (£99.99).

Obviously nothing about recurring subscription through the 180 day method. So very misleading. So that too. Basically emailed them they were in the wrong. Don't bother to contest or i'll be on their asses.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 16, 2012
New on TSR

What do you think of the BBC?

UK Parliament wants to hear your views

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.