The Student Room Group

What is your 'Most Annoying Medical admissions Interview...ever!'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
And don't get me started on Edinburgh... No interviews for a course which leads to a job where absolutely everything hinges on your manner and personality, something which can't be assessed through exams or personal statement. *sigh*

Edinburgh is a lovely medical school, that can't be disputed. However, I completely agree that I have no idea why they, and also Southampton, can possibly give offers to potential medics without interviewing them. It sort of makes me lose respect for them because you are looking for future Doctors who are going to look after people, not just people who are going to pass the Science exams.
Reply 41
Original post by theatrical
They were just seeing how you can communicate in difficult/unfamiliar circumstances. As doctors we'll come across much more challenging situations with patients.

Ya haha I know :tongue: it was fun though. My Dundee MMI was the one I found the most fun actually, although it was like one of my worst interviews out of the four haha! Ah well, I'm not too bummed out I didn't get an offer from them so whatever!
I think it would go down incredibly badly with the interviewer!

Senior doctors being in constant communication is just a fact of life. I've had doctors texting in PBL sessions, answering their phones in lectures and, the worst example, using their phone while examining an OSCE station. If I were to do any of those things I'd be in trouble, if a doctor does it you just have to accept it.

If a doctor is so busy and another interviewer is present, they can leave the room. The start of this line of quotes was for interviews at Oxbridge, where you can expect that they'll do that kind of thing to pressure applicants. Hopefully, a doctor would be understanding enough not to reject you straight away for protesting against their rude lack of attention, just like if my interviewer had to leave the room, I'd understand.

Original post by Sherbet
I had a slightly harsh interviewer at Manchester too, not mean but a little sharp, when was your interview?

27th January. :smile:
Original post by Mero8
And don't get me started on Edinburgh... No interviews for a course which leads to a job where absolutely everything hinges on your manner and personality, something which can't be assessed through exams or personal statement. *sigh*

Yeah, this is why i feel i can't apply to them, i don't think i can rely on my paper application to carry me through a competitive process like this, and since they don't interview i know i'll be up against those who are better than me on paper.
Shame as well, looks a very good school and a great city.
(edited 11 years ago)
They were just seeing how you can communicate in difficult/unfamiliar circumstances. As doctors we'll come across much more challenging situations with patients.

I was doing a night shift on call last week when we were called to see a delirious patient. His oxygen sats were very low yet he was refusing to put the oxygen mask on until the police arrived (he thought he'd called the police through his tv remote control to report a murder). He was going purple yet we couldn't force the oxygen mask on him - what do you do? It all comes down to communication skills.

oh my what happened then? :O
Reply 45
Original post by CraigKirk
If a doctor is so busy and another interviewer is present, they can leave the room. The start of this line of quotes was for interviews at Oxbridge, where you can expect that they'll do that kind of thing to pressure applicants. Hopefully, a doctor would be understanding enough not to reject you straight away for protesting against their rude lack of attention, just like if my interviewer had to leave the room, I'd understand.

27th January. :smile:

Same day as me haha, what time was your interview?
Original post by Sherbet
Same day as me haha, what time was your interview?

Errrm, I can't remember exactly. It was in the afternoon, I think maybe 1.30? It was the last set of the day.
It has to be at my SGUL interview.

It was the work experience station - the woman was really lovely, and we were discussing my oncology placement, which she seemed fascinated in. I thought my answers were decent, but then she smiled, showed me the scoring sheet and made no attempt to cover the 2/5 she awarded me for the station.

What made it worse was that the bitch was smiling as she did so.

Needless to say I was subsequently rejected.
Reply 48
Original post by fallenangel
It has to be at my SGUL interview.

It was the work experience station - the woman was really lovely, and we were discussing my oncology placement, which she seemed fascinated in. I thought my answers were decent, but then she smiled, showed me the scoring sheet and made no attempt to cover the 2/5 she awarded me for the station.

What made it worse was that the bitch was smiling as she did so.

Needless to say I was subsequently rejected.

Sorry but I laughed so hard when I read this hahahahahah!!! Ah well who cares :tongue: you have a place at Leicester anyways so it's their loss!
Original post by Wickersham
Sorry but I laughed so hard when I read this hahahahahah!!! Ah well who cares :tongue: you have a place at Leicester anyways so it's their loss!

Glad to have amused you haha

& yeahh appreciate it buddy, Leicester is pretty awesome. Are you an applicant/med student?
Reply 50
Original post by fallenangel
Glad to have amused you haha

& yeahh appreciate it buddy, Leicester is pretty awesome. Are you an applicant/med student?

Ya I'm an applicant :smile: got an offer from Nottingham.
Reply 51
At my Cardiff interview I got asked about what I'd do if a patient refused treatment. I went on to say all about explaining the pros and cons, showing statistics etc and explaining everything fully.
The gentleman who was interviewing me, who had hardly spoken and had sat there looking very uninterested said 'You do realise parents beat up their children don't you?' I replied with 'Yea of course I know parents beat their children' but in a really standoffish way.
I then realised he was trying to help me with how to answer further but I felt like such an idiot.

I also replied to the 'Why Cardiff?" question with 'Well I love Wales and Welsh people :smile:"

But I got an offer! So I guess I did something right!
Reply 52
Errrm, I can't remember exactly. It was in the afternoon, I think maybe 1.30? It was the last set of the day.

Mine was the last set, I think it was at 2pm though, you were probably in my interview haha!
Original post by Sherbet
Mine was the last set, I think it was at 2pm though, you were probably in my interview haha!

Yeah, it probably was the 2pm then. I'll refrain from guessing who you were in case you intend to hide your identity on TSR, but my name is pretty obvious!
Reply 54
Yeah, it probably was the 2pm then. I'll refrain from guessing who you were in case you intend to hide your identity on TSR, but my name is pretty obvious!

I had on a grey dress and blazer, I didn't really go on TSR then but at every interview people kept talking about it and I was curious haha. Did you have short light brown hair? I kept in touch with a couple of people from it.
Original post by Sherbet
I had on a grey dress and blazer, I didn't really go on TSR then but at every interview people kept talking about it and I was curious haha. Did you have short light brown hair? I kept in touch with a couple of people from it.

I do! Hmmm, I was apparently famous when I was there (not my own claim!) for my tsr presence :tongue: they made quite a big deal out of it.

Does your name begin with K or C? I've kept in touch with a few of them, mainly 'Rozca' if you remember me asking who that was :smile:
Reply 56
I do! Hmmm, I was apparently famous when I was there (not my own claim!) for my tsr presence :tongue: they made quite a big deal out of it.

Does your name begin with K or C? I've kept in touch with a few of them, mainly 'Rozca' if you remember me asking who that was :smile:

I wasn't really on here then, I've just come back from my ski season and as I'm unemployed I'm now wasting loads of my time on here lol. I have a couple of people on Facebook, but no one on here. Yes my name begins with C haha.

Who's rozca?
I'm not sure that she'd want me to reveal her identity, but you can member search her and send her a PM if you'd like. Sounds like you've had fun! I'm still employed and studying AS levels, so I have plenty to pass the time by!

EDIT: oops, meant to quote you here:
Original post by Sherbet
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by Happydude

I don't even know why St Andrews think they can still offer a decent course, given that you can't even finish the course there and have to be carted off to Edinburgh/Manchester!

QUOTE]

St Andrews actually does have a pretty decent course. And we can go on to any of the Scottish unis for clinicals, not just Ed/Man.

I have met students from several of the other unis who have all been very complementary about the st andrews students when they join their years. So for all it may seem a strange set up, St Andrews are actually producing some pretty decent pre clinical students!

And as for interviews, Glasgow was not the best for me.. Rather than listen to what I said, or finding out more about my experiences and why I wanted to do medicine, they used it as an opportunity to slag of nurses. My feedback was like someone elses interview!!
Reply 59
I'm not sure that she'd want me to reveal her identity, but you can member search her and send her a PM if you'd like. Sounds like you've had fun! I'm still employed and studying AS levels, so I have plenty to pass the time by!

EDIT: oops, meant to quote you here:

Oh ok, fair enough haha. Yes I have, very bored now that I'm back, I'm not used to having free time. Excited about getting off to uni?

Quick Reply

Latest