Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the iPod Touch any good?

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Our university bookstore currently has a selection of them in stock and I've got £350 of store credit going spare. I've currently got no portable music player and I'm seriosuly considering buying one. Can anyone, fanboy or otherwise convince me to make the purchase/put me off?
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil2wkd)
    Our university bookstore currently has a selection of them in stock and I've got £350 of store credit going spare. I've currently got no portable music player and I'm seriosuly considering buying one. Can anyone, fanboy or otherwise convince me to make the purchase/put me off?
    (Assuming it's the current generation)

As a portable media player, they're pretty great. They have access to what's still the best app platform on the market, and the screen is gorgeous for playing games and watching video on. Audio quality isn't anything stellar but for the casual user with basic earphones the difference between players is nigh-on undetectable anyway. It's thin, light, excellent build quality and backed by Apple's stellar customer service. If you've got credit that's only going to be wasted on rubbish stuff like academic resources, it's a worthwhile buy if you think you're going to get sufficient use out of it [=
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)

As a portable media player, they're pretty great. They have access to what's still the best app platform on the market, and the screen is gorgeous for playing games and watching video on. Audio quality isn't anything stellar but for the casual user with basic earphones the difference between players is nigh-on undetectable anyway. It's thin, light, excellent build quality and backed by Apple's stellar customer service. If you've got credit that's only going to be wasted on rubbish stuff like academic resources, it's a worthwhile buy if you think you're going to get sufficient use out of it [=
    We're coming up to the end of the study year (6 weeks of work-based learning means everything out the way other than that in a fortnight), and we get another bit of bursary when things start up in September. Definitely not to fussed on quality of music-I'm assuming it'd be the same as any other normal iPod?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)

Can you play all your songs in alphabetical artist order like in my 5g ipod nano? i was playing with ipod touch in store and i could make it play songs only in one letter (like all artists that start with "A" were played but not all of the songs that were there).
    • 55 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm using it right now :awesome: on TSR

I like it and it's very convenient
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    We're coming up to the end of the study year (6 weeks of work-based learning means everything out the way other than that in a fortnight), and we get another bit of bursary when things start up in September. Definitely not to fussed on quality of music-I'm assuming it'd be the same as any other normal iPod?
    Yeah it sounds like any other iPod (Well, not as good as pre-2006 models, but again, the differences aren't really discernible though a basic set of earbuds). Don't get me wrong, it definitely doesn't sound bad, it just sounds like very other general purpose player out there =P

(Original post by Annie2129)
    Can you play all your songs in alphabetical artist order like in my 5g ipod nano? i was playing with ipod touch in store and i could make it play songs only in one letter (like all artists that start with "A" were played but not all of the songs that were there).
    Yes you can play all tracks in alphabetical order. The different sorting options on your Nano (Artist, album, song etc) are all there.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    They're a rip off if ya just want it for music, but they do soooo much more!

The new ones (my brother has one) have decent cameras, decent video player, good battery life, easy operating system, good internet browsing and the app store is pretty much endless!

I still use my 3-4 yr old 2nd gen, which works great (though apple don't let me update software any more ) so I can vouch for the reliability and durability.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Think I've been sold! Thanks guys!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes. It's basically an iPhone minus the phone and texting
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've got a 4th gen, and I'm not entirely sure what I ever did without it! It does my budget, keeps me entertained, lets me read the news and tells me when my period is due (there's an app for that!)

Only real downside is that the only way of accessing the internet is via wifi, unlike the iPhone.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    I've got a 4th gen, and I'm not entirely sure what I ever did without it! It does my budget, keeps me entertained, lets me read the news and tells me when my period is due (there's an app for that!)

Only real downside is that the only way of accessing the internet is via wifi, unlike the iPhone.
    :lolwut:

Is there ANYTHING these devices can't do?

I think I have the same one as you, having an iTouch is pretty awesome and is pretty much an iPhone bar the actual use of the phone. I'd deffo recommend one
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cosmobear92)
    :lolwut:

Is there ANYTHING these devices can't do?
    I'm yet to teach mine how to do my washing up for me. Other than that, no!
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well worth it, especially if you aren't even paying for it. I use mine literally all the time for music, the internet, gaming, betting and watching TV.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ivw had mine for well over a year and use it pretty much every day
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah you'd need Siri to explain that!

Out of curiosity, what's the period app called?
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    Before you buy, consider how much it's going to cost. A far better alternative could be to sell your phone / wait until you're round for a new one, and then buy a nice expensive android phone which can do everything an ipod touch can and more.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, in order to do that you need Apples iArms extra that plugs in. It's a snip at £350.

OP, I used to be one of those "anyone but Apple" people. Then I got an iPod Touch 64gb as it was pretty much the best thing available for my needs. I haven't once regretted that decision. They're brilliant.
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cosmobear92)
    Ah you'd need Siri to explain that!

Out of curiosity, what's the period app called?
    Either iP Free, or there's a paid version (geared more towards people who are trying to get pregnant, I think, than those of us who see their period as a good thing, because it means we're not pregnant). I think the paid version is called iPeriod though
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Junaid96)
    Before you buy, consider how much it's going to cost. A far better alternative could be to sell your phone / wait until you're round for a new one, and then buy a nice expensive android phone which can do everything an ipod touch can and more.
    I don't think he'll be able to get a high end android phone from a bookshop =P
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Sadly, in order to do that you need Apples iArms extra that plugs in. It's a snip at £350.
    BARGAINOUS

Especially if it also makes me cups of tea

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sound and vision threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.