Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ask the Foreign Secretary/ MUN - MHoC relations thread

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you believe the US is violating Pakistani sovereignty by conducting drone attacks on the country without any legislative approval from the Pakistani parliament?
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eff01)
    Do you believe the US is violating Pakistani sovereignty by conducting drone attacks on the country without any legislative approval from the Pakistani parliament?
    It is unfortunate that they don't have approval, but unfortunately some attacks are on the border and hence it is necessary to continue the attack into Pakistani territory. Sometimes it is necessary to conduct these attacks in the name of the greater good. However, I agree that it would be the best solution if they got approval and indeed it would help to ensure that public opinion is behind the US mission rather than potentially against it because they view the mission as a violation of their rights as a sovereign nation.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    It is unfortunate that they don't have approval, but unfortunately some attacks are on the border and hence it is necessary to continue the attack into Pakistani territory. Sometimes it is necessary to conduct these attacks in the name of the greater good. However, I agree that it would be the best solution if they got approval and indeed it would help to ensure that public opinion is behind the US mission rather than potentially against it because they view the mission as a violation of their rights as a sovereign nation.
    So do you condemn this breach of sovereignty by the US administration?
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eff01)
    So do you condemn this breach of sovereignty by the US administration?
    It would be desirable if it were to happen with the approval of the Pakistani authorities, but occasionally you have to bend the rules to get the results. I condemn the fact that the two authorities aren't working together as well as they should, but I can't condemn the success that these missions have had.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It would be desirable if it were to happen with the approval of the Pakistani authorities, but occasionally you have to bend the rules to get the results. I condemn the fact that the two authorities aren't working together as well as they should, but I can't condemn the success that these missions have had.
    Success? These missions have killed many innocent civilians? Is this the TSRHoC line- that the killing of innocent people is some sort of success. I personally condemn this violation of Pakistani sovereignty and urge the TSRHoC to condemn such actions. We should be supporting a country on the road to democracy in standing up to the US and saying that this violation is categorically unacceptable and should be stopped. Obama has escalated the War on Terror not ended it (as he promised).
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you think we should formally recognise the Principality of Sealand as it has now played its first international sporting fixture?
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eff01)
    Success? These missions have killed many innocent civilians? Is this the TSRHoC line- that the killing of innocent people is some sort of success. I personally condemn this violation of Pakistani sovereignty and urge the TSRHoC to condemn such actions. We should be supporting a country on the road to democracy in standing up to the US and saying that this violation is categorically unacceptable and should be stopped. Obama has escalated the War on Terror not ended it (as he promised).
    Is it a success that innocent citizens have been killed? No. Is it a success that terrorists are being killed and it is crippling Al-Qaeda? Yes it is. As I say, I wish that these attacks could be carried out with agreement from both sides, but they aren't at the moment. I condemn the loss of innocent life.

(Original post by barnetlad)
    Do you think we should formally recognise the Principality of Sealand as it has now played its first international sporting fixture?
    I have always wanted to recognise the Principality. I shall be visiting there in my role of Foreign Secretary to support our Sealand allies.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well once the Commonwealth is up and running in the MUN, then I'll be looking at this in detail. At the moment, the main job that you could do on the position paper would be to examine the idea of Regional Groups in the MUN more and how they could be implemented in terms of the MUNSC (we need to avoid any suggestion that we turn them into blocks because effectively they should just be electoral colleges for the MUNSC).
    I will look into this but I will be using the RL stuff as a basis to start from. I will be moving things around etc.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    I will look into this but I will be using the RL stuff as a basis to start from. I will be moving things around etc.
    I certainly look forward to working with you on this issue.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    Responses section updated.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The MHoC condemns these outrageous threats. We call on Iran to stop grandstanding and return to negotiations.
    I'm no expert but didn't Iran say them in response to Israel saying they may have to attack Iran? I know if a country threatened to attack us we would be making outrageous threats too.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internetguru)
    I'm no expert but didn't Iran say them in response to Israel saying they may have to attack Iran? I know if a country threatened to attack us we would be making outrageous threats too.
    We does not support attacking Iran at the moment. It's never wise to rule anything out, but we have no intentions or plans to attack Iran at the moment. However, we do sympathise with the frustrations of other Middle East countries at Iran's refusal to negotiate meaningfully on this issue.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    We does not support attacking Iran at the moment. It's never wise to rule anything out, but we have no intentions or plans to attack Iran at the moment. However, we do sympathise with the frustrations of other Middle East countries at Iran's refusal to negotiate meaningfully on this issue.
    That isn't really what I was getting at. I was saying if a country said they should perhaps consider attacking us would we make a statement about destroying them if they try anything?
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    That isn't really what I was getting at. I was saying if a country said they should perhaps consider attacking us would we make a statement about destroying them if they try anything?
    I would not make such a statement as Iran has, but I would make clear that we would resolutely defend our borders.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would not make such a statement as Iran has, but I would make clear that we would resolutely defend our borders.
    So should we not be criticising the over the top language and tell them to remain professional rather than making it appear like they are the ones being aggressive?
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    So should we not be criticising the over the top language and tell them to remain professional rather than making it appear like they are the ones being aggressive?
    Iran is an aggressor. Iran is potentially making nuclear weapons (though I will admit that we can not be certain of that). There are times to remain professional and while it's good to remain peaceful, tough talking and tough sanctions are now needed. Iran must be forced to negotiate properly and seriously.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Iran is an aggressor. Iran is potentially making nuclear weapons (though I will admit that we can not be certain of that). There are times to remain professional and while it's good to remain peaceful, tough talking and tough sanctions are now needed. Iran must be forced to negotiate properly and seriously.
    Surely it is hypocritical considering Israel also broke the NPT acquiring nukes? Doesn't this send out the message that we will just ignore them once they acquire nukes and drop all sanctions?
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    Surely it is hypocritical considering Israel also broke the NPT acquiring nukes? Doesn't this send out the message that we will just ignore them once they acquire nukes and drop all sanctions?
    We shall be tackling Israel as well and should you provide me evidence of your claims, I will raise them in the MUN.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    We shall be tackling Israel as well and should you provide me evidence of your claims, I will raise them in the MUN.
    Evidence? The whistle blower in the 80s. The "we neither confirm or deny" and the evidence of nuclear particles in the air during their nuclear tests. But Israel isn't on trial here India and Pakistan did the same thing.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    Evidence? The whistle blower in the 80s. The "we neither confirm or deny" and the evidence of nuclear particles in the air during their nuclear tests. But Israel isn't on trial here India and Pakistan did the same thing.
    If you can link me to fresh evidence, then I will tackle it. I need links to evidence and I will happily raise this issue.
Updated: September 17, 2012
New on TSR

A-level secrets uncovered

Learn from the experience of last year's A-level students

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.