The Student Room Group

Tips for GCSE French Higher Listening?

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone have any good ways to learn vocab?
Nothing is sinking in and the exam is on Monday!
I think I've got high A/A*s in my CAs, but I really need a high mark in the listening...
:s-smilie:
Original post by ellevictoria1
I think I've got high A/A*s in my CAs, but I really need a high mark in the listening...

I find that writing them down into a list and then doing that old fashioned method of "look, cover, write, check" helps greatly. Do it a topic at a time and it helps if you can get a friend or family member to test you.

Good luck.
Original post by ellevictoria1

memrise.com is a really good website that someone on here showed me. I also made a PowerPoint with words I learnt and the translations, then duplicated each slide and deleted the translation on the copied slide and tried to remember it. I then just used the slide I copied from to check my answers. Some people have suggested a lot of good ideas on here as well if you read through, like finding your fave movie and putting French subtitles.
If you do feel unprepared for it though, you'll always have reading to fall back on. I did a mock where I did really well in my reading, but so bad in my listening and along with good coursework grades, I still got an A* overall. Shame it was only a mock, haha. :frown:
Reply 103
Original post by Mediterrasian
Woah, I'm sure it's definitely gonna pay off. You should go for it, I'm planning to do it as well.

Definitely!

That's actually alright, thanks for the confidence boost. ;D

YEAH, much lower than I thought they would be. But that's only even more of an incentive to get there I guess :P
I came on this thread 2-3weeks earlier on and the truth was I was panicking. Now after putting the hard-work in I am glad to say there is nothing stand in the way of me getting an A/A* in my French exam both listening and reading except nerves now and then but that's normal. :cool:

Seeing majority of the people on this thread panic about their exam gives me a confidence boost towards the exam I guess that's with most exams you put in the hard-work you will get the grade you deserve.

Luckily in my favour I begged my teacher for every SINGLE task for general French exams(speak,writing,reading,listening) and within the first 3months I was hoping for a C. however 4 months down the line, today, I am aiming for an A* reading, A in listening. =)

IMHO majoritiy of the people will be cramming in vocabulary and trying to develop an french ear for the exam n tbh it wont work you will probably flop but with a fraction less chance AS LANUAGES ARE PROGRESSIVE you have to be learning it continously unlike other subjects like science where you can revise the whole CGP 2-3 nights before the exam. :redface:
Reply 105
Has anyone had a go at the A Level paper from Wednesday 18 January earlier on this year by the way?
Reply 106
To all,
I would like to wish you all well in the EDEXCEL LISTENING FRENCH EXAM 2012.
Remember:
Write key notes on the side before attempting questions
DO NOT (Under any circumstances) panic at all on any question
Read the key questions carefully, for instance: what, why, who, when etc.

Remember:
Though many of you may consider that your marks have been fantastic so far, I cannot stress more that you should try even harder in both the listening and reading papers.
It is unfortunate when you receive a grade lower than expected when you think the controlled courseworks have been marked rather 'lightly'

Unfortunately, Edexcel is notorious for their aggressive moderation, though this is not to say that many other boards are also strict, most notably: OCR

I wish you luck in your exams and hope you get the grade you wish.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 107
Original post by redsoup
This is why my teacher wouldn't give my class even a rough idea of what we could get. I don't even get why they do controlled assessments, they may as well do an exam, as they don't trust the teachers to mark them, and it's soooo easy to cheat.
Do you know if it's just french that they moderate harshly? My geog work is getting sent off and now I'm kinda worried...

NOTE:
Unfortunately: Edexcel in general
Nevertheless, OCR is rather notorious too
Reply 108
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I came on this thread 2-3weeks earlier on and the truth was I was panicking. Now after putting the hard-work in I am glad to say there is nothing stand in the way of me getting an A/A* in my French exam both listening and reading except nerves now and then but that's normal. :cool:

Seeing majority of the people on this thread panic about their exam gives me a confidence boost towards the exam I guess that's with most exams you put in the hard-work you will get the grade you deserve.

Luckily in my favour I begged my teacher for every SINGLE task for general French exams(speak,writing,reading,listening) and within the first 3months I was hoping for a C. however 4 months down the line, today, I am aiming for an A* reading, A in listening. =)

IMHO majoritiy of the people will be cramming in vocabulary and trying to develop an french ear for the exam n tbh it wont work you will probably flop but with a fraction less chance AS LANUAGES ARE PROGRESSIVE you have to be learning it continously unlike other subjects like science where you can revise the whole CGP 2-3 nights before the exam. :redface:

What a wicked comment (speaking literally!)
It is most certainly possible to achieve the highest grade without any preparation at all.
Simply listen to french radio before the exam in the morning.

Having high hopes can often let you down and I would put my nose down now, before you open a rather disappointing grade on results day..
Original post by momo26396
To all,
I would like to wish you all well in the EDEXCEL LISTENING FRENCH EXAM 2012.
Remember:
Write key notes on the side before attempting questions
DO NOT (Under any circumstances) panic at all on any question
Read the key questions carefully, for instance: what, why, who, when etc.

Remember:
Though many of you may consider that your marks have been fantastic so far, I cannot stress more that you should try even harder in both the listening and reading papers.
It is unfortunate when you receive a grade lower than expected when you think the controlled courseworks have been marked rather 'lightly'

Unfortunately, Edexcel is notorious for their aggressive moderation, though this is not to say that many other boards are also strict, most notably: OCR

I wish you luck in your exams and hope you get the grade you wish.

Awh you're sweet, thank you. :smile: OCR are definitely the worst, especially with English. Doesn't seem fair. :frown:
OCR are definitely the worst, especially with English. Doesn't seem fair. :frown:

Haha, you got that right. Then again.. it could just be me. I'm failing at English right now. I'll be lucky to get two C's overall.
The trick is to listen closely to the questions. That took me up for like a b grade to an A* in seconds basically
memrise.com is a really good website that someone on here showed me.

been using it, such a great website. You can also enter your own word lists which is excellent, just make sure they're right!!

Thanks for recommending it! :smile:
Reply 113
Original post by Dominic101
The trick is to listen closely to the questions. That took me up for like a b grade to an A* in seconds basically

Most definitely!!!
Reply 114
I was wondering does anyone have any key words, I should definitely know for the exam??

I dont know what vocab I should learn
Original post by Jarred Kyle
Haha, you got that right. Then again.. it could just be me. I'm failing at English right now. I'll be lucky to get two C's overall.

Haha awh, I'm in the same position. But they have been really harsh; my school had A* students getting C's in our English Language, I think only one person in our whole year actually got an A*. We then had them re-marked and the grades shot up instantly. Apparently they are marking harsher because of the complaints that the GCSE's are too easy. If that's true, that's so mean. :frown:

Original post by Dominic101

I second that.

Original post by Jarred Kyle
been using it, such a great website. You can also enter your own word lists which is excellent, just make sure they're right!!

Thanks for recommending it! :smile:

You're welcome, glad you like it. :smile: Haha I know right, it's so good!

Original post by Tplox
I was wondering does anyone have any key words, I should definitely know for the exam??

I dont know what vocab I should learn

Not sure what will definitely come up, but I have last years paper on me and the topics that came up were:
-School
-Local environment
-Stress
-Jobs
-Computer games (This was just a P/N question, so you had to look out for good and bad, wouldn't say computer games is a topic)
-Shopping and fashion
-Relationships
Reply 116
Hi again guys ,

It may be a bit late but you know what they say it's never too late!

I've come across an awesome site where you can download some .mp3 files which are basically mixes of key words , the music is really motivating! You can download 5 free tracks :smile: and if you want the whole collection then you have to purchase it :smile:

take a look:
http://www.upbeatlearning.com/affiliate/54/

:biggrin:

Why the neg? seriously? I was only trying to help -_-
(edited 11 years ago)
has anyone else got their french listening exam tommorow i'm stressing for the exam i need a B in both reading and listening but the writing questions always catch me out and also the questions where they mention all of the multiple choice answers? my teacher told me to use tv5.monde but its boring and i have no idea what they are on about. i really want to pass but have no idea! :confused:
Reply 118
The AQA French Listening & Reading Jan 2012 Papers and Audio file are here if anyone wants them: http://www.mcsmodlangs.org/extra/
Original post by Hero-H
Hi again guys ,

It may be a bit late but you know what they say it's never too late!

I've come across an awesome site where you can download some .mp3 files which are basically mixes of key words , the music is really motivating! You can download 5 free tracks :smile: and if you want the whole collection then you have to purchase it :smile:

take a look:
http://www.upbeatlearning.com/affiliate/54/

:biggrin:

Thanks for sharing! :smile:

Original post by sheepstick
has anyone else got their french listening exam tommorow i'm stressing for the exam i need a B in both reading and listening but the writing questions always catch me out and also the questions where they mention all of the multiple choice answers? my teacher told me to use tv5.monde but its boring and i have no idea what they are on about. i really want to pass but have no idea! :confused:

Yeah, I have. I know, the writing questions are horrible! Read through some of the comments people have put on here, they've been really helpful. :smile: I recommend a website called memrise.com.

Original post by Paradox.
The AQA French Listening & Reading Jan 2012 Papers and Audio file are here if anyone wants them: http://www.mcsmodlangs.org/extra/

Thank you so much! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending