The Student Room Group

Tips for GCSE French Higher Listening?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Paradox.
The AQA French Listening & Reading Jan 2012 Papers and Audio file are here if anyone wants them: http://www.mcsmodlangs.org/extra/

QUALITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by momo26396
What a wicked comment (speaking literally!)
It is most certainly possible to achieve the highest grade without any preparation at all.
Simply listen to french radio before the exam in the morning.

Having high hopes can often let you down and I would put my nose down now, before you open a rather disappointing grade on results day..

I am not being big headed but you know yourself better than anyone else i presume. The blunt truth was if you have put the hard-work in you have nothing holding you back from getting an A/A*.

"It is most certainly possible to achieve the highest grade without any preparation at all." This is not the case for majority of the people on this thread are non-natives and are unlikely to get an A* 40/40 with no preparations. "Simply listen to french radio before the exam in the morning." Are you serious?
By just listening to the french radio and being a non-native chances are your still going to fail the exam miserably as it takes time,effort,commitment on retraining your brain to a foreign language...let me know how your a levels turn out. :cool:
Original post by Mediterrasian
memrise.com is a really good website that someone on here showed me. I also made a PowerPoint with words I learnt and the translations, then duplicated each slide and deleted the translation on the copied slide and tried to remember it. I then just used the slide I copied from to check my answers. Some people have suggested a lot of good ideas on here as well if you read through, like finding your fave movie and putting French subtitles.
If you do feel unprepared for it though, you'll always have reading to fall back on. I did a mock where I did really well in my reading, but so bad in my listening and along with good coursework grades, I still got an A* overall. Shame it was only a mock, haha. :frown:

Hi, i think i may be in your situation, in coursework i have got a strong A, weak A* and i need to do well in both reading and writing, i hope you dont mind - what did you get for individual assessment (reading, listening, writing, speakingg ) so i know where i am? Please it would be a great help :smile:
Reply 123
Original post by Paradox.
The AQA French Listening & Reading Jan 2012 Papers and Audio file are here if anyone wants them: http://www.mcsmodlangs.org/extra/

have you got the answers for january 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????? L)
Reply 124

I don't have the official mark scheme, but I can show you the answers I got which I think are mostly right:

Spoiler

I'm not sure if the mark scheme has been made public, I can't find it on google.

However, my school has uploaded it onto their website although you need to be logged into it to see it.

Here are the correct answers:

Spoiler

Paradox did rather well :tongue:
Reply 126
Original post by Jarred Kyle
I'm not sure if the mark scheme has been made public, I can't find it on google.

However, my school has uploaded it onto their website although you need to be logged into it to see it.

Here are the correct answers:

Spoiler

Paradox did rather well :tongue:

Do you know what they're saying on number 10? Something about their friends find it funny?
Original post by mia_hilton
Hi, i think i may be in your situation, in coursework i have got a strong A, weak A* and i need to do well in both reading and writing, i hope you dont mind - what did you get for individual assessment (reading, listening, writing, speakingg ) so i know where i am? Please it would be a great help :smile:

Sure. Well I've got A*'s in both the speaking and writing, and then in the mock, I got a weak A* in the reading and a C in the listening (I hadn't revised at all haha, I never revise for mocks). I still got an A* overall however. I reckon you can get an A* overall as well with your grades as my friend also had a strong A and a weak A* in her coursework, and then got an A* in one of her mocks and still got an A* overall too. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 128
Hey, Ive got four A*s in my controlled assessments and Im wanting an A* overall, and you say that you got a C in your listening mock, so if I get an A* in the reading and a C in tomorrow's listening, do a stand a chance of getting an A* overall?
Original post by Bobby2
Hey, Ive got four A*s in my controlled assessments and Im wanting an A* overall, and you say that you got a C in your listening mock, so if I get an A* in the reading and a C in tomorrow's listening, do a stand a chance of getting an A* overall?

Definitely. As you have four A*'s in just your coursework, you have a very high chance. If you know listening isn't your strongest, really focus on reading. :smile:
Reply 130
I just dont know what to expect in the listening because my grades range from Cs to A*s, but thanks for letting me know, im starting to feel more confident. Are you doing the AQA listening tomorrow too?
Original post by Bobby2
I just dont know what to expect in the listening because my grades range from Cs to A*s, but thanks for letting me know, im starting to feel more confident. Are you doing the AQA listening tomorrow too?

I know what you mean, I have that as well. Glad to know you're feeling more confident. :smile: Yep, I have AQA listening tomorrow. I'm praying the paper is nice, haha.
Reply 132
Same! Some of the past papers have been horrible! But if im honest, I havent really been motivated to do well in this subject, but since I was told my controlled assessments are A* grade, I have been trying to do as much practice as possible. I just hope I have done enough!
Original post by Bobby2
Same! Some of the past papers have been horrible! But if im honest, I havent really been motivated to do well in this subject, but since I was told my controlled assessments are A* grade, I have been trying to do as much practice as possible. I just hope I have done enough!

I know right!? Though I'm so glad we have our specification instead of the one they had before 2010. I tried the 2003 the other day... most tortuous 50 minutes of my life! I'm sure your work will pay off. :smile: Are you going to do French at A Level?
Reply 134
I thought the reading papers from the old specification were easier than the reading ones we do now, but I hate the fact that the questions are in french. No, I am not doing french for a-level. If im honest I actually cant stand it :L Are you doing it for A-level and what other exams do you have? :smile:
Original post by Bobby2
I thought the reading papers from the old specification were easier than the reading ones we do now, but I hate the fact that the questions are in french. No, I am not doing french for a-level. If im honest I actually cant stand it :L Are you doing it for A-level and what other exams do you have? :smile:

Wow really? I much prefer our new specification haha. Haha I don't blame you but yeah I'm taking it, and I've got about 13 other exams in like Maths, Eng Lit, Science, Sociology, Graphics, etc. I've got Music tomorrow as well, ugh. What about you? :smile:
GOOD LUCK GUYS!

Just want to say a MASSIVE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE who messaged on this thread. Thanks to you guys, I discovered some great resources and ideas for this exam, and I am feeling so much more confident for it than I was 3 weeks ago when I made this thread where I was pulling my hair out with nerves.

I honestly thought no one would comment on this thread, so thank you so much, all your ideas have been HUGELY appreciated!

Best of luck, and we may talk again to prepare for the reading on Thursday. I'm sure all of you are going to do great in the exams. :smile: Thanks again!
Every1 get ready tomorrow after skwl 2 discuss
The answers to the listening paper.
After the debatable answer session we need 2
Worry about the reading paper on Thursday.

IMHO I'm aiming for 100% ums marks on reading
It's my strongest area I wouldn't settle for anything
Less than 95% on reading even if it's a A* I would
Probably remark it as I don't want to be couple ums marks overall 4 an A*.

Gl 2 every1 on their exam tomorrow especially edexcel board.

A bientot
Reply 138
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Every1 get ready tomorrow after skwl 2 discuss
The answers to the listening paper.
After the debatable answer session we need 2
Worry about the reading paper on Thursday.

IMHO I'm aiming for 100% ums marks on reading
It's my strongest area I wouldn't settle for anything
Less than 95% on reading even if it's a A* I would
Probably remark it as I don't want to be couple ums marks overall 4 an A*.

Gl 2 every1 on their exam tomorrow especially edexcel board.

A bientot

There's no point remarking these really, as so many of them are multiple choice. I doubt the markers are even french tbh
Original post by redsoup
There's no point remarking these really, as so many of them are multiple choice. I doubt the markers are even french tbh

Probably, true say but there are some structured answers and some examiners
are harsher if E.G my answer highlights the correct answer but i waffle on extra he/she might award me 0.5mark. So its still a possibility.

I know i will definitly send my speaking,writing for remarks and i know both examiners that mark them are harsh and majoritiy of the cases it drops couple marks below your teachers mark.

Anyway i g2g school now time for ym exam !@@@

Only less than 2 hours til the exam :redface:

Quick Reply