Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Football Forum 2011/2012 Season Awards Suggestions

Announcements Posted on
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leelad)
    I know I'm late, but as well as crumble of the season why not have Recovery of the season? I.e- Chelsea under RDM, Arsenal in 2012, Wigan in the run in?
    Keen on that but worried we have enough categories as it is, we're trying our best not to make voting a chore for people

(Original post by JK.)
    World team is one of the easiest categories there for me. :dontknow:
    Out of interest, who would you nominate? Crumbling of Barca and Real Madrid really opens that up, if Real won the CL and La Liga it'd have been them for me.

(Original post by marcusmerehay)
    I assume these are clubs and not players? :lol:
    Yeah, that's just for clubs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    Out of interest, who would you nominate? Crumbling of Barca and Real Madrid really opens that up, if Real won the CL and La Liga it'd have been them for me.
    Looking throughout Europe there's no clear team that shines above the rest this year. Barca and Madrid are 2 massive teams but having both failed in the CL I wouldn't give it to either of them. Don't think you can really make a good case for any English side. Dortmund have been fantastic in the league since their early stutter but they really disappointed in the CL and after the way Bayern tailed away in the league I'd struggle say they're particularly deserving either. The standard of the top teams in France this year has been the lowest for some time imo, definitely no real candidates there. Most impressive in what they've done throughout the season in Europe is probably Juve for me, still unbeaten, looking very likely to stay that way and win the league, possibly doing the double too. Whilst it's perhaps harsh to knock their lack of continental achievement as they've had no chance to begin with, it's a factor that definitely has to be considered and there's no doubt their lack of European football has also been a factor in their domestic success.

You mentioned Santos as an example in the question but I don't see them as particularly deserving. Their Libertadores win was basically last season and after that they decided to give up any attempt at the league to spend months preparing for their big match with Barca in which they were completely embarrassed. I imagine they'll go on to win the Paulista now but that's not enough for the award, if they can retain the Libertadores as well they'd deserve a shout but really they should have put more into their league campaign imo. Elsewhere in South America I think Boca are sort of worth a shout - unbeaten Apertura, top in this Clausura, still in the cup and Libertadores but they've never really been spectacular which I think you need to be if you're playing somewhere where the standard is generally weaker to begin with. That just leaves La U, they play easily the best football on the continent, have been hugely successful throughout the last year, have coped fantastically with challenges like Vargas' departure and are looking just as good if not better now. If they win the Libertadores that will add extra shine to it but even without it at this point they're definitely my winners.

Edit: Dunno if you're watching, but the football they're playing tonight just says it all really.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this will be a good idea or not, but maybe an article or something on TSR to show the results from past awards like this? could update it every season of course [for as long as it lives].
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK.)
    Looking throughout Europe there's no clear team that shines above the rest this year. Barca and Madrid are 2 massive teams but having both failed in the CL I wouldn't give it to either of them. Don't think you can really make a good case for any English side. Dortmund have been fantastic in the league since their early stutter but they really disappointed in the CL and after the way Bayern tailed away in the league I'd struggle say they're particularly deserving either. The standard of the top teams in France this year has been the lowest for some time imo, definitely no real candidates there. Most impressive in what they've done throughout the season in Europe is probably Juve for me, still unbeaten, looking very likely to stay that way and win the league, possibly doing the double too. Whilst it's perhaps harsh to knock their lack of continental achievement as they've had no chance to begin with, it's a factor that definitely has to be considered and there's no doubt their lack of European football has also been a factor in their domestic success.

You mentioned Santos as an example in the question but I don't see them as particularly deserving. Their Libertadores win was basically last season and after that they decided to give up any attempt at the league to spend months preparing for their big match with Barca in which they were completely embarrassed. I imagine they'll go on to win the Paulista now but that's not enough for the award, if they can retain the Libertadores as well they'd deserve a shout but really they should have put more into their league campaign imo. Elsewhere in South America I think Boca are sort of worth a shout - unbeaten Apertura, top in this Clausura, still in the cup and Libertadores but they've never really been spectacular which I think you need to be if you're playing somewhere where the standard is generally weaker to begin with. That just leaves La U, they play easily the best football on the continent, have been hugely successful throughout the last year, have coped fantastically with challenges like Vargas' departure and are looking just as good if not better now. If they win the Libertadores that will add extra shine to it but even without it at this point they're definitely my winners.

Edit: Dunno if you're watching, but the football they're playing tonight just says it all really.
    Yeah, I think from Europe there are few worthy candidates, Juve standout from the major 4 leagues but I agree with your assessment of them. From French Ligue 1, Montpellier have been spectacular considering their resources, looks like they'll win it now which would be an incredible achievement. From South America, I agree on Universidad de Chile, regularly watched them last season and they were very good. Even though their triumph was in South America's second tier competition, they beat some of the big Brazilian teams who finished above Santos. Zambia are the only worthy candidates from Africa, I thought they played the best football at Cup of Nations and it was a very good story.

I just listed the first few names which came into my head, Santos seemed to be one of them, although I most certainly won't nominate them. Unfortunately I've not been able to catch La U as much as I did last year. Been busy with various stuff, even when I've been awake at night I've not been able to catch much of them or much of the Copa Libertadores - planning to now it's about to enter the knockout phase, though! Also not watching them tonight but a little check on the scores shows they've dismantled Colo Colo, was aware of the match but a bit under the weather today.

(Original post by mr tim)
    I don't know if this will be a good idea or not, but maybe an article or something on TSR to show the results from past awards like this? could update it every season of course [for as long as it lives].
    :yy:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Montpellier are easily the team of the year if they win Ligue 1. Are they the best team? Absolutely not, but with all things considered, they're definitely the story of the season. If you think of all the teams in Ligue 1, you'd put many teams ahead of Montpellier to win the league at the start of this year, especially the big guns: Lille, Marseille, Lyon, PSG in particular. A team that, up until 2009, had been in Ligue 2 for five years. And then you add in the fact that PSG have spent a ludicrous amount of money for the French league.

If I had to give it to the best team, I'd say Real Madrid, but when I think of Team of the Year, it's not just about who's the best for me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stu Laverty)
    Montpellier are easily the team of the year if they win Ligue 1. Are they the best team? Absolutely not, but with all things considered, they're definitely the story of the season. If you think of all the teams in Ligue 1, you'd put many teams ahead of Montpellier to win the league at the start of this year, especially the big guns: Lille, Marseille, Lyon, PSG in particular. A team that, up until 2009, had been in Ligue 2 for five years. And then you add in the fact that PSG have spent a ludicrous amount of money for the French league.

If I had to give it to the best team, I'd say Real Madrid, but when I think of Team of the Year, it's not just about who's the best for me.
    I completely agree it's not just about who's best and as you've pointed out, there are many sides you'd have put above Montpellier going into the season, but for me they've not won by bettering what would have been expected of those 'bigger' sides, but have largely taken advantage of those sides not living up to expectations.

Lille's weakened side after last summer's departures was always going to struggle balancing a fight for league retention and a European campaign but having held onto Hazard for the year, I think they'd have expected to do slightly better than they did on both fronts. Lyon have massively lacked consistency and been fairly poor most times I've watched them this season, I think their success throughout the last decade somewhat heightens people's expectations of them anyway and Marseille's failure to win a game in the league since January says enough about them. That leaves their closest contenders PSG, who, you're right in saying have chucked silly money at it, but as with other clubs who we've seen do the same thing in recent years, that in itself can create problems - they've struggled gelling as a team and until last week, I can't recall a single great team performance they've given. That, combined with Leonardo's pissing about sacking Kombouare, the pressure placed on the likes of Gameiro during his drought and particularly Pastore since his early glowing performances have caused them to slip up time and again whilst Montpellier have kept plugging away without anyone making a great deal out of it.

Saying there are no real contenders from France was wrong on my part and I largely skipped over it so I could get back to watching the team I went on to express my love for. Montpellier certainly deserve more than a shout and whilst others' failings have helped them be in the position they are, there's no denying they've played some great football themselves and have some very talented individuals. Factors such as their recent second division standing do make it an incredible story, but they're a side that made the Coupe de la Ligue final last year and finished just 3 points off 2nd the year before that. Nobody would have predicted them to win the league but a Europa place would have seemed reasonable and so I can't help but feel in any other season they'd have finished highly (though not top), duly received credit, lost their star players and fallen away again - albeit with a decent wad of cash in hand to push on with. It wasn't any other season and they've done what they needed to do, but that niggling element of reliance on others' failings, somewhat detracts from the feat for me.

Whilst I'd place Montpellier's achievements this season above the big guns from here, Germany and Spain, when looking at Europe as a whole, personally, Juve edge it for me. Resource wise, even relative to their respective leagues, Juve may be in a completely different world to Montpellier and they too have taken advantage of others tripping up along the way, but I think it's to a much lesser extent and the unbeaten factor exemplifies the machine like control they've exerted throughout. If they can combine the league with a cup double, as a pathetic excuse for a Torino fan it mildly pains me to say it, but I really struggle to see past them as best European team.

Yeah, I think from Europe there are few worthy candidates, Juve standout from the major 4 leagues but I agree with your assessment of them. From French Ligue 1, Montpellier have been spectacular considering their resources, looks like they'll win it now which would be an incredible achievement. From South America, I agree on Universidad de Chile, regularly watched them last season and they were very good. Even though their triumph was in South America's second tier competition, they beat some of the big Brazilian teams who finished above Santos. Zambia are the only worthy candidates from Africa, I thought they played the best football at Cup of Nations and it was a very good story.

I just listed the first few names which came into my head, Santos seemed to be one of them, although I most certainly won't nominate them. Unfortunately I've not been able to catch La U as much as I did last year. Been busy with various stuff, even when I've been awake at night I've not been able to catch much of them or much of the Copa Libertadores - planning to now it's about to enter the knockout phase, though! Also not watching them tonight but a little check on the scores shows they've dismantled Colo Colo, was aware of the match but a bit under the weather today.

Didn't even consider national teams! Zambia easily win on that front, but I think it's hard to compare what they've achieved with the consistency required for club teams to be in contention. That's not to take away from what they've done in the slightest though, massive achievement and great story. ACoN for competition of the year too. :yy:

Didn't watch La U all that much throughout last year - I think the Flamengo tie in the Copa Sud. was one of the first times, have been fortunate enough not to have missed a game of theirs in a good while now though, absolute joy to watch. This year is by far the most I've watched of the Libertadores and it sucks that you've not been able to see more, the odd poor game here or there has to be expected but on the whole it's been great, the conclusion to group 2 in particular being some of the most exciting minutes of football I've seen all season. If you've not already done so, make sure you check out Atletico Nacional if you get a chance - they're dodgy at the back and sacrificing any hopes in the league for their Libertadores campaign but it's been worth it, their front players - Pabon and Macnelly Torres in particular are fantastic to watch. Wrt La U tonight, the result tonight is partly due to Colo Colo being a shadow of their former selves but I don't think you can take a great deal away from them. Dunno if you've seen the latter stage fixtures but their route to the semi's in the Libertadores looks fairly decent, really hope they can push on and go all the way, nothing less than their football deserves. Also because I've got an outrageous 33/1 on it. :awesome:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Apologies about the lack of Libertadores piece btw, I'd planned to do a group stage round up/knock out preview, I had no idea the competition moved onto knockouts the week after groups finished. Pretty snowed under with work/exams over the next month anyway, will be free of it all before the Euro's though so should be able to actually contribute something more.

Hope you're feeling better as well dude, I'm sure that with a bit of support from your fans match fitness will be just round the corner. :yy:
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    Will keep this open to the end of today then we'll start getting the nominations in the whole of next week. An awards sub-forum will be created once the Premiership season is over. Speaking of sub-forums, the Euro 2012 one should be up and running by the start of next week hopefully! :excited:

(Original post by JK.)
    Didn't even consider national teams! Zambia easily win on that front, but I think it's hard to compare what they've achieved with the consistency required for club teams to be in contention. That's not to take away from what they've done in the slightest though, massive achievement and great story. ACoN for competition of the year too. :yy:

Didn't watch La U all that much throughout last year - I think the Flamengo tie in the Copa Sud. was one of the first times, have been fortunate enough not to have missed a game of theirs in a good while now though, absolute joy to watch. This year is by far the most I've watched of the Libertadores and it sucks that you've not been able to see more, the odd poor game here or there has to be expected but on the whole it's been great, the conclusion to group 2 in particular being some of the most exciting minutes of football I've seen all season. If you've not already done so, make sure you check out Atletico Nacional if you get a chance - they're dodgy at the back and sacrificing any hopes in the league for their Libertadores campaign but it's been worth it, their front players - Pabon and Macnelly Torres in particular are fantastic to watch. Wrt La U tonight, the result tonight is partly due to Colo Colo being a shadow of their former selves but I don't think you can take a great deal away from them. Dunno if you've seen the latter stage fixtures but their route to the semi's in the Libertadores looks fairly decent, really hope they can push on and go all the way, nothing less than their football deserves. Also because I've got an outrageous 33/1 on it. :awesome:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Apologies about the lack of Libertadores piece btw, I'd planned to do a group stage round up/knock out preview, I had no idea the competition moved onto knockouts the week after groups finished. Pretty snowed under with work/exams over the next month anyway, will be free of it all before the Euro's though so should be able to actually contribute something more.

Hope you're feeling better as well dude, I'm sure that with a bit of support from your fans match fitness will be just round the corner. :yy:
    Will have to start tuning in, really enjoyed watching them in the Copa Sudamericana and I've heard about the exploits of Atletico Nacional from the South American footie enthusiasts on twitter, will have to catch them sometime. No worries about the Libertadores piece, just do it when you're ready or don't even do it if you become overwhelmed in work, life comes first tbfh. And haha, thanks, feeling much better now!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do the nominations work? Will there be one big thread made, or will it be done via PM to either MM` or Abiraleft?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Or maybe from surveymonkey like how the user awards was done at the end 2011.
    • 35 followers

(Original post by mr tim)
    Or maybe from surveymonkey like how the user awards was done at the end 2011.
    The problem with SurveyMonkey, as I found when I did the awards you mentioned, is that you can only make surveys with 10 categories when signed into a 'free' account. :sadnod:

I think PMs might be a tidier way to do it. :holmes:
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stu Laverty)
    How do the nominations work? Will there be one big thread made, or will it be done via PM to either MM` or Abiraleft?

(Original post by Abiraleft)
    The problem with SurveyMonkey, as I found when I did the awards you mentioned, is that you can only make surveys with 10 categories when signed into a 'free' account. :sadnod:

I think PMs might be a tidier way to do it. :holmes:
    I'll create one big thread for nominations (with instructions and so on), if people want to nominate privately then they can PM Abiraleft or me. The nominations are just to establish the poll options (say, 6 of the most popular nominations for each award) in the awards, really! Should be straightforward.
    • 35 followers

I'll create one big thread for nominations (with instructions and so on), if people want to nominate privately then they can PM Abiraleft or me. The nominations are just to establish the poll options (say, 6 of the most popular nominations for each award) in the awards, really! Should be straightforward.
    If there's a format laid out then it should be fine. :yy:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've got my list so when is it happening?
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    I've got my list so when is it happening?
    The nominations will start next week as the season will be over and then the week or two after the voting will start. :yy:
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    Euro 2012 sub-forum.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 11, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.