The Student Room Group

Spanish Universities?

has anyone ever got around the complicated spanish uni exam system? if so how? (this doesnt apply to exchange/erasmus students)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I used to study in Spain...what do you want to know?
Reply 2
Well I always really wanted to study at Barcelona University, the only thing is to get into the university you have to take all these exams, in subjects i've either never done before or havent done in years. Is there anyway a foreigner can get round this system?
Reply 3
I dont know which subject you are studying? Just know some stuff about economics and finance...
Reply 4
lol exactly! I do english drama and spanish, i don't know anything about economics. No way of getting around it then?
Reply 5
You should have to do the Selectividad.
Anyway, it is my understanding that if you have done the IB or studied in a European education system (such as A-levels, Leaving Cert, Scottish Highers, Bac, Abitur, etc.) you do NOT have to pass the Selectividad.
Otherwise, you have to. But I'm not really sure.
Spanish universities and Spanish education sucks. If I were you, I'd run far from Spain asap (which I will whenever I can, actually). May I ask why is it that you want to study here in Barcelona?
(Given that you'll have to study in CATALAN, not in Spanish.)
Reply 6
Hi there, ok so since i keep finding you sergiomz being the only one giving advice over spanish universities i thought I would address you and ask.
I am hoping to apply to uab, ub and pompeu fabra but im having issues over it. I know lessons are held 60% in catalan and 40% castellano so no need to mention all that stuff to me, i am fluent in one and semi spoken in the other. I want to transfer into the language departments but i don't know if people can study catalan as a foreign language as i want to? no chance you have any idea is there? also if things are studied ab initio.... where i am you can start studying langauges with no knowledge of any, i wondered if spain offered the same for french, italian etc.
These are precise questions and if you dont know you dont know, but i thought i might aswell ask....
Reply 7
Actually, I know more about UCAS and British unis than Spanish unis. But I'll give it a go. :smile:

60% Catalan and 40% Spanish... I'm not that sure. I would even increase the Catalan percentage and decrease the Spanish one. Maybe you're lucky and you have even a credit (or a few) in English. You're fluent in one... if it is Spanish, you'll need maybe some foundation to learn Catalan better, but it depends on the uni so you should contact them (if they don't answer, it is perfectly normal, so you'd better start looking for info somewhere else).
Except Catalan, Spanish and probs English, I think you may study languages ab initio. Here, the studies of languages are uni (being the main subject) are called "filologia". In the prospectus of the unis you may look for the filologies offered.
You could do "Traducció i interpretació" being Catalan language C (I don't know if this is offered, but it is a good idea). Anyway, for Catalan as a foreign language you should start a foundation or something, and then get into the normal course. You should look it up in the websites (as far as I know, Spanish unis do not send prospectus), and try to contact them.
You may also check other Catalan unis, including UdG, UdL, URL, URV, UAO, UIC, UVic, and maybe some others.
For the application, you should contact NARIC Spain or the Ministry of Education (Spain) to convert your A-levels grades to Spanish. A*AA will be converted for a 7.4, equivalent to 74%. For a 10 (100%), you would need 600 UCAS points, therefore AAAAA. You should also know that the Undergraduate, consisting of 180 ECTS (3 years), in Spain it consists of 240 ECTS, therefore 4 years. Leading to absolutely the same qualification. Besides, our system was not exactly Bachelor, then Master, then PhD, they're changing it now, so some things still aren't converted, and then you might have some difficulties as the offer of degrees is not that big.
You should apply to uni through the Generalitat de Catalunya, but I don't know so much about it, you should get some further info. Application is in May-June. Universities do NOT make offers or contact you. You simply apply to the unis you want (there is a limit, probably, but I don't know which is it) and then applications are ordered by grades, from higher to lower. If there are 300 applications and 200 places for a degree, the first 200 on the list (higher marks) enter, the last 100 do not enter. That works for all the unis, and then I don't know if you choose or what. You will be told where you have been officially admitted by mid-July (for entry in September the same year).
Then you have to pay the matrícula to the uni you're going. And then, start studying. :smile:

Good luck.
Reply 8
the percentages came from the universities themselves so i know im not mistaken. and as i said i'm semi-spoken in catalan as well as fluent in castellano so no need for basic foundations.
Thank you for such an in depth answer all the same. I did realise it was called "filologia", i think if i hadnt worked that one out, there is no way id be able to enter into a spanish university. :smile:
cant do translation as its into a language that isnt my native tongue so im left with only modern language options. and yes i do know there are 240 credits, as there is in canada where i am now. plus all language degrees in the uk are the same anyway being 4 years.
actully managed to finally find the access of university pre-enrollment today on the gencat website so i answered my own questions on that matter.
mersi!
Reply 9
say if i want to study dentistry in spain? what are the requirements, application process etc?
Reply 10
drAyaan
say if i want to study dentistry in spain? what are the requirements, application process etc?

Well, the application process (and the requirements) are different depending on which Comunidad Autónoma (Autonomous Communities, something like "states") you want to study. They are more or less the same, but some things may differ.
You should know whether you want to study in Madrid, in Barcelona, in Salamanca, in Navarra, in Valencia, etc. There are plenty of unis.
Once you know, you have to homologate your grades and qualifications (info here and here). You may have to do the "Selectividad" for foreigners (if you're doing A-levels perhaps you could avoid doing it, but I can't assure you, you better contact the Spanish Ministry of Education), you may find info about it here, here and here. Here you may find info about straightaway homologation between British and Spanish grades, no need for Selectividad. Anyway, if you're doing your A-levels with CIE, this might be different.
This year the Selectividad is changing (both for Spaniards and foreigners), but the mark you will need will be quite high (probably about 90% or 95% overall). I imagine you are doing A-levels. Look at the chart where UCAS points are compared to those of Bachillerato + Selectividad (last link, . 380 points (A*AA) would give you a 74% overall in the Spanish system (7.4). In order to have a 100% (10) you would need AAAAA (or 600 UCAS points).
After that, you need to be fluent in Spanish (have the DELE or pass the Spanish language in the Selectividad, I think). Besides, if you're to study in Catalonia, the Balearic Islands, the Valencian Community; the Basque Country; or Galicia; you will also need to be fluent in Catalan (Valencian and Majorcan are more or less the same); Basque or Galician (similar to Spanish and Portuguese).
The application process begins in May/June for entry in September the same year. As far as I know no PS is required, nor interviews, and you will know if you're admitted about the second week of July.
You have to apply through the Autonomous Government, at least in the case of Catalonia, (here) through the Generalitat de Catalunya (info also here). I don't know about limits or details of the application, you may like to check up the website.
Once you have been given a place in the uni (no such things are offers exist here, you apply to unis and if there are 200 places and 300 applications, the first 200 are given a place, and then they decide whether they want the place or not, in case a person does not want it, the 201st is given a place, etc.), I guess you need a student visa (in case you're not European). And arrange accomodation and stuff.
By the way, don't expect the government-employed Spaniards help you with anything, rather the other way around. And, I don't know if non-Europeans pay home fees here in Spain as well, but I may assure you that, at least in Madrid or Barcelona, the cost of living is higher than in the UK (perhaps excluding London, perhaps not even London would be excluded).
Degrees (bachelors) are being put into service this year, so the system is not very good implanted as of yet. Which means that the very same degree with the very same qualification to any European counterparts will involve an extra year of study (in the UK 3 years, in Spain 4; in the UK 4 years, in Spain 5; and so on...).

If I were you, I would not come. The social situation is very bad. The unemployment is about 20%, the salaries are low compared to prices, and it is really hard to find such a thing as a part-time job to help you funding your studies.

Whatever you need, you ask me.
Good luck.
Reply 11
SergioMZ
Well, the application process (and the requirements) are different depending on which Comunidad Autónoma (Autonomous Communities, something like "states") you want to study. They are more or less the same, but some things may differ.
You should know whether you want to study in Madrid, in Barcelona, in Salamanca, in Navarra, in Valencia, etc. There are plenty of unis.
Once you know, you have to homologate your grades and qualifications (info here and here). You may have to do the "Selectividad" for foreigners (if you're doing A-levels perhaps you could avoid doing it, but I can't assure you, you better contact the Spanish Ministry of Education), you may find info about it here, here and here. Here you may find info about straightaway homologation between British and Spanish grades, no need for Selectividad. Anyway, if you're doing your A-levels with CIE, this might be different.
This year the Selectividad is changing (both for Spaniards and foreigners), but the mark you will need will be quite high (probably about 90% or 95% overall). I imagine you are doing A-levels. Look at the chart where UCAS points are compared to those of Bachillerato + Selectividad (last link, . 380 points (A*AA) would give you a 74% overall in the Spanish system (7.4). In order to have a 100% (10) you would need AAAAA (or 600 UCAS points).
After that, you need to be fluent in Spanish (have the DELE or pass the Spanish language in the Selectividad, I think). Besides, if you're to study in Catalonia, the Balearic Islands, the Valencian Community; the Basque Country; or Galicia; you will also need to be fluent in Catalan (Valencian and Majorcan are more or less the same); Basque or Galician (similar to Spanish and Portuguese).
The application process begins in May/June for entry in September the same year. As far as I know no PS is required, nor interviews, and you will know if you're admitted about the second week of July.
You have to apply through the Autonomous Government, at least in the case of Catalonia, (here) through the Generalitat de Catalunya (info also here). I don't know about limits or details of the application, you may like to check up the website.
Once you have been given a place in the uni (no such things are offers exist here, you apply to unis and if there are 200 places and 300 applications, the first 200 are given a place, and then they decide whether they want the place or not, in case a person does not want it, the 201st is given a place, etc.), I guess you need a student visa (in case you're not European). And arrange accomodation and stuff.
By the way, don't expect the government-employed Spaniards help you with anything, rather the other way around. And, I don't know if non-Europeans pay home fees here in Spain as well, but I may assure you that, at least in Madrid or Barcelona, the cost of living is higher than in the UK (perhaps excluding London, perhaps not even London would be excluded).
Degrees (bachelors) are being put into service this year, so the system is not very good implanted as of yet. Which means that the very same degree with the very same qualification to any European counterparts will involve an extra year of study (in the UK 3 years, in Spain 4; in the UK 4 years, in Spain 5; and so on...).

If I were you, I would not come. The social situation is very bad. The unemployment is about 20%, the salaries are low compared to prices, and it is really hard to find such a thing as a part-time job to help you funding your studies.

Whatever you need, you ask me.
Good luck.

Wow! Sounds really complicated.

I have already completed my a-levels (4 A's) but cant get into BDS in the UK (stupid refree). Anyway, cost is not a issue and my main aim is to obtain the degree and work in the UK. How would you rate my chances of getting in?

Also, how hard are the studies compared to the UK? Like do many people get kicked out and in a given year what percentage would go on to pass (specifically for dentistry?) Is dentistry 5 years in Spain?
Reply 12
drAyaan
Wow! Sounds really complicated.

I have already completed my a-levels (4 A's) but cant get into BDS in the UK (stupid refree). Anyway, cost is not a issue and my main aim is to obtain the degree and work in the UK. How would you rate my chances of getting in?

Also, how hard are the studies compared to the UK? Like do many people get kicked out and in a given year what percentage would go on to pass (specifically for dentistry?) Is dentistry 5 years in Spain?

It IS very complicated. If money is not an issue, then you could go to Ireland, the Netherlands or Sweden, among others, in Europe, or maybe Canada, the States or Australia/New Zealand, where A-levels will be more recognized than in Spain.
Chances of getting in? VERY difficult. Dentistry is as competitive as Medicine, but faculties offering Dentistry (Odontología) in Spain are very few. You may find some vocational training, but at uni level it is very difficult to find a uni. Some examples are this (public) and this (private), both in Madrid. You have to look always for "Grado EEES", NEVER for "Licenciatura", as this is the former system, still used sometimes, and that would take lots of problems (your degree would not be European, it'd be Spanish, and you'd have to convalidate it).
About fees, per year, you may find some orientation here. But this is not the same for every uni, and this is a public one. E.g., UEM is 1560€ per month plus 1560€ before starting the year, to book a place. You may see it here. In UCM (public) it is 16.62€/credit the 1st year, 19.94€/credit the 2nd year, and 28.25€/credit the 3rd year and furthers. Each year is 60 credits (ECTS), you may calculate the total cost (without accomodation and living expenses, for which you should contact the uni you want to apply - info here). I would definitely go for another European country where English is more widely spoken than here in Spain.
Btw, you will not be able to apply to any loan, bursary, grant or part-time job, so money will be exclusively from out of your pocket. Living expenses will be higher in Spain than in the UK, because no discounts to students apply for anything.

Good luck.

(People do not get kicked out. There are as many people as free places there are, and the grade you need to enter depends on the standard of the year, but for example, last year was between 7.5 and 8. This year will be much higher. And YES, Dentistry in Spain is 5 years of theory, and after you shall do practices in order to earn your full title. I would not do it.)
Reply 13
SergioMZ
It IS very complicated. If money is not an issue, then you could go to Ireland, the Netherlands or Sweden, among others, in Europe, or maybe Canada, the States or Australia/New Zealand, where A-levels will be more recognized than in Spain.
Chances of getting in? VERY difficult. Dentistry is as competitive as Medicine, but faculties offering Dentistry (Odontología) in Spain are very few. You may find some vocational training, but at uni level it is very difficult to find a uni. Some examples are this (public) and this (private), both in Madrid. You have to look always for "Grado EEES", NEVER for "Licenciatura", as this is the former system, still used sometimes, and that would take lots of problems (your degree would not be European, it'd be Spanish, and you'd have to convalidate it).
About fees, per year, you may find some orientation here. But this is not the same for every uni, and this is a public one. E.g., UEM is 1560€ per month plus 1560€ before starting the year, to book a place. You may see it here. In UCM (public) it is 16.62€/credit the 1st year, 19.94€/credit the 2nd year, and 28.25€/credit the 3rd year and furthers. Each year is 60 credits (ECTS), you may calculate the total cost (without accomodation and living expenses, for which you should contact the uni you want to apply - info here). I would definitely go for another European country where English is more widely spoken than here in Spain.
Btw, you will not be able to apply to any loan, bursary, grant or part-time job, so money will be exclusively from out of your pocket. Living expenses will be higher in Spain than in the UK, because no discounts to students apply for anything.

Good luck.

(People do not get kicked out. There are as many people as free places there are, and the grade you need to enter depends on the standard of the year, but for example, last year was between 7.5 and 8. This year will be much higher. And YES, Dentistry in Spain is 5 years of theory, and after you shall do practices in order to earn your full title. I would not do it.)

Hmmm...thanks for the info.

I dont think ill apply. It sounds too complicated, risky and i doubt ill get in anyway.
Reply 14
drAyaan
Hmmm...thanks for the info.

I dont think ill apply. It sounds too complicated, risky and i doubt ill get in anyway.

You're welcome.
Re-reading my post it sounds as though I'm trying to dismiss you from coming here.
But anyway you're right, it is too complicated. It is not risky, but it is very difficult to get in, and even if you do, you would have to learn Spanish (perhaps you already talk Spanish, but believe me Spanish A-level/GCSE is nothing compared to the level you need).

There is another point which I should have mentioned. There are almost no international students (Erasmus and Iberoamericans excluded), so definitely it would not be the same as in the UK, where there are lots of international students from everywhere, and it is easier to cope with being abroad.

Definitely, if I were you I'd try in another country.
Good luck.
Reply 15
helllo im a british student going to start my law degree in september and i ahev been offered this univeristy as one of my options for erasmus do they teach the law degree ine english
Reply 16
that was english but i have been offered uab for a semester or a year as part of the erasmus project i will be studying law in september i was wondering if the university taught law in english
Reply 17
babyS
that was english but i have been offered uab for a semester or a year as part of the erasmus project i will be studying law in september i was wondering if the university taught law in english

No.
Lectures are mostly in Catalan. If you're lucky, you'll get some in Spanish and perhaps even one or two in English. However, unless they do special lectures in English for exchange students, the answer is no.
Reply 18
thats realy weird as its been offered to me as part of erasmus so i dnt need langauge skills for it
Reply 19
flugestuge
That is such a relief. :rolleyes:

i knw im confused at what the other guy has said are u wanting to go there 2

Quick Reply

Latest