The Student Room Group

Volunteering with the International Citizen Service

Hey, just wanted to ask whether anyone's applied to this scheme http://www.dfid.gov.uk/ics - basically a chance for 18-25 year olds to go abroad for 3 months and help in developing countries, all for the sum of £800 that you raise yourself!

So if anyone has done this, or is interested in applying, it would be good too know why and what organisation you're going with!

I'm a bit of a volunteering novice. Only done a little bit with school last year, but I'm assuming some people that apply have loads more experience! I'm glad this scheme favours enthusiasm, and doesn't charge hefty fees like most other organisations, as money can often be the object when in reality it should be the passion.

I'm definitely going to apply, but not sure when - giving 3 months is a big ask but this really is an amazing opportunity I don't want to miss out on. I'm also not sure how much money I should bring, and therefore going in September instead of July is looking slightly more appealing as by then I'll have more of a financial backing. Anyone that's done this before on here that can give me a bit of advice?

edit. Don't really understand why this post warrants a neg, but okay then.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I applied for this this afternoon :smile: It seems a brilliant opportunity! I'd also be interested to hear from anyone that's done ICS/something similar :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by OliS
I applied for this this afternoon :smile: It seems a brilliant opportunity! I'd also be interested to hear from anyone that's done ICS/something similar :smile:

Ah great, which organisation did you apply with/what countries were you're prefered ones? I can't decide yet so I'll hopefully apply in a couple of days time!
Reply 3
Original post by dulciemae
Ah great, which organisation did you apply with/what countries were you're prefered ones? I can't decide yet so I'll hopefully apply in a couple of days time!

I thought about it a bit and realised that going anywhere would be a fantastic opportunity, so I didn't put any preferred countries. Same applies to the organisations, though Tearfund and Progressio seemed much more religious so I said I'd rather not go with them :smile: Have you got any preferences?
Reply 4
Original post by OliS
I thought about it a bit and realised that going anywhere would be a fantastic opportunity, so I didn't put any preferred countries. Same applies to the organisations, though Tearfund and Progressio seemed much more religious so I said I'd rather not go with them :smile: Have you got any preferences?

Yeah, that's true! I think I'll do the same tbh, although some of the stuff Tearfund do is quite interesting, like dance and drama workshops etc. Oh, where does it say that they're religious? Restless Development are apparently quite strict with rules aswell, I might chose Raleigh but say I don't really mind. And I was thinking Latin America, but I read a blog about Zambia and changed my mind! Do you have any volunteering experience? I know it says you don't require any, but I'm sure the scheme is becoming increasingly popular, so I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed that I get a place!
Reply 5
Yeah, that's true! I think I'll do the same tbh, although some of the stuff Tearfund do is quite interesting, like dance and drama workshops etc. Oh, where does it say that they're religious? Restless Development are apparently quite strict with rules aswell, I might chose Raleigh but say I don't really mind. And I was thinking Latin America, but I read a blog about Zambia and changed my mind! Do you have any volunteering experience? I know it says you don't require any, but I'm sure the scheme is becoming increasingly popular, so I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed that I get a place!

:smile: It says on the 'About us' sections of their websites - Tearfund "is a Christian international aid and development agency". Progressio's a little less clear, saying it's "inspired by its Catholic roots", but I thought I'd go with the others just in case. I'm sure I'd love working with both of them anyway, though. Zambia sounds cool :smile: I've got some experience volunteering in the UK, and I've done a fair amount of different fundraising things in the past. Do you? I think it's also first come first served, so if you're applying so early into the scheme your chances are probably higher anyway. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by OliS
:smile: It says on the 'About us' sections of their websites - Tearfund "is a Christian international aid and development agency". Progressio's a little less clear, saying it's "inspired by its Catholic roots", but I thought I'd go with the others just in case. I'm sure I'd love working with both of them anyway, though. Zambia sounds cool :smile: I've got some experience volunteering in the UK, and I've done a fair amount of different fundraising things in the past. Do you? I think it's also first come first served, so if you're applying so early into the scheme your chances are probably higher anyway. :smile:

Oh yeahh, I think I noticed that but didn't think too much of it. I'm sure wherever we go though, they'll be different culture changes and rules we'll have to abide, but that's part of the experience I suppose. I was part of this scheme at college last year where we decided to raise money for HIV/Aids and did a bit of fundraising for that, but other than that, not much else particularly relevant. Yeah, I hope applying earlier will be beneficial, but I've got so many deadlines on at the minute I keep having to remind myself about it! How did you hear about it btw? Do you know anyone else that's applied? Some of my friends think I'm mad going thinking about going away to the third world for 3 months - and alone! - no doubt it'll be a challenge, but I just thought it sounded exciting! Each to their own :smile:
Reply 7
Oh yeahh, I think I noticed that but didn't think too much of it. I'm sure wherever we go though, they'll be different culture changes and rules we'll have to abide, but that's part of the experience I suppose. I was part of this scheme at college last year where we decided to raise money for HIV/Aids and did a bit of fundraising for that, but other than that, not much else particularly relevant. Yeah, I hope applying earlier will be beneficial, but I've got so many deadlines on at the minute I keep having to remind myself about it! How did you hear about it btw? Do you know anyone else that's applied? Some of my friends think I'm mad going thinking about going away to the third world for 3 months - and alone! - no doubt it'll be a challenge, but I just thought it sounded exciting! Each to their own :smile:

I'm sure it'd be a brilliant experience going with any of the organisations, really. Yeah, deadlines are a killer. I thought I'd just apply as soon as possible once I was sure I wanted to do it (I've been looking for similar things to do over summer for a while, so that wasn't difficult). I just heard about it through searching around different websites and ending up on it (I think I went from VInspired to Restless Development to ICS). You? Nah, I don't know anyone else that's gone for it yet. It is a pretty massive thing to do, but an amazing one too :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by OliS
I'm sure it'd be a brilliant experience going with any of the organisations, really. Yeah, deadlines are a killer. I thought I'd just apply as soon as possible once I was sure I wanted to do it (I've been looking for similar things to do over summer for a while, so that wasn't difficult). I just heard about it through searching around different websites and ending up on it (I think I went from VInspired to Restless Development to ICS). You? Nah, I don't know anyone else that's gone for it yet. It is a pretty massive thing to do, but an amazing one too :biggrin:

Ahh i just applied! It took me like an hour to do it though, nevermind 20 mins - kept double-checking all the info! Have you heard back from them yet, they say 10 days don't they and it's been 6 for you probably? Also, who did you put for your referees? i just put my tutor and head of year from school and sixth form and put their school addresses! Fingers crossed for both of us :biggrin:
Reply 9
Ahh i just applied! It took me like an hour to do it though, nevermind 20 mins - kept double-checking all the info! Have you heard back from them yet, they say 10 days don't they and it's been 6 for you probably? Also, who did you put for your referees? i just put my tutor and head of year from school and sixth form and put their school addresses! Fingers crossed for both of us :biggrin:

Awesome! Yeah, it took me ages too. I actually heard back from ICS a few days ago, on the 19th, and they said my application was successful and has been forwarded to Restless Development, who will get in touch soon :biggrin: I put my personal tutor/art teacher from secondary school (plus school address, number etc) and a family friend. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by OliS
Awesome! Yeah, it took me ages too. I actually heard back from ICS a few days ago, on the 19th, and they said my application was successful and has been forwarded to Restless Development, who will get in touch soon :biggrin: I put my personal tutor/art teacher from secondary school (plus school address, number etc) and a family friend. :smile:

Ah well done! :biggrin: I was trying to find info on references so i hope putting two school related ones won't put me at a disadvantage! they've both known me for 5 years but I only put their school addresses/numbers :s-smilie: Have you got any ideas on how you'd raise the money if/once you are definitely placed? :smile:
Reply 11
Ah well done! :biggrin: I was trying to find info on references so i hope putting two school related ones won't put me at a disadvantage! they've both known me for 5 years but I only put their school addresses/numbers :s-smilie: Have you got any ideas on how you'd raise the money if/once you are definitely placed? :smile:

Fair enough, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I only put my teacher's school address and number too :smile: I'm not really sure at the moment, but I'm sure I'd find a way! Have you had any thoughts?
Reply 12
Original post by OliS
Fair enough, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I only put my teacher's school address and number too :smile: I'm not really sure at the moment, but I'm sure I'd find a way! Have you had any thoughts?

The first part of my application's been successful! :biggrin: Ah, I feel like I can be excited now, but only really want to when VSO get back to me and if I know for sure incase I get my hopes up! Have you heard any more from Restless Development? As regards to fundraising...I don't really have a clue! I've raised money doing cake sales before, but I'll probably have to think of something a bit more inventive to raise £800!
Reply 13
The first part of my application's been successful! :biggrin: Ah, I feel like I can be excited now, but only really want to when VSO get back to me and if I know for sure incase I get my hopes up! Have you heard any more from Restless Development? As regards to fundraising...I don't really have a clue! I've raised money doing cake sales before, but I'll probably have to think of something a bit more inventive to raise £800!

Awesome! I've been switched to Raleigh International now, I'm going to a selection day next friday :smile: hehe, maybe, unless you make a lot of cake.
Reply 14
Original post by OliS
Awesome! I've been switched to Raleigh International now, I'm going to a selection day next friday :smile: hehe, maybe, unless you make a lot of cake.

Ah wicked! I wanted to go with Raleigh but they didn't set off when I'd be available I think. Haha touche, I should just make 4 times the amount I did last time to raise the money! Are the selection days near you or do you have to travel to them?
Reply 15
Ah wicked! I wanted to go with Raleigh but they didn't set off when I'd be available I think. Haha touche, I should just make 4 times the amount I did last time to raise the money! Are the selection days near you or do you have to travel to them?

Ah, fair enough. I'm only really free over summer (I put that I had to be back by October this year) and I think Raleigh go out in July. Exactly! Perfect solution. The selection day is up in London so I'll have to travel up to them :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by OliS
Ah, fair enough. I'm only really free over summer (I put that I had to be back by October this year) and I think Raleigh go out in July. Exactly! Perfect solution. The selection day is up in London so I'll have to travel up to them :smile:

I thought they only asked you whether you were free in the next six months? I don't remember putting any specifics down, whoops! Well I'm on a gap year so I want the summer to work yet want to do this asap, so hopefully I'd get to do this in September if I get the chance, but VSO didn't really say what times of year they leave! So fingers crossed! (That should be my catchphrase I think, aha) Ohh, well lucky for me then! :biggrin:
Reply 17
I thought they only asked you whether you were free in the next six months? I don't remember putting any specifics down, whoops! Well I'm on a gap year so I want the summer to work yet want to do this asap, so hopefully I'd get to do this in September if I get the chance, but VSO didn't really say what times of year they leave! So fingers crossed! (That should be my catchphrase I think, aha) Ohh, well lucky for me then! :biggrin:

There was a second box, "do you have to be back in the UK by a certain date?". :smile: I think most of them say somewhere in the website when they're leaving - or at least, when they're leaving next, I'm not sure. Good luck, by the way! :smile:
Reply 18
Oh, I did this last year, went to Sierra Leone for 3 months but I was on a separate healthcare strand which doesn't exist this year.
Reply 19
Original post by OliS
There was a second box, "do you have to be back in the UK by a certain date?". :smile: I think most of them say somewhere in the website when they're leaving - or at least, when they're leaving next, I'm not sure. Good luck, by the way! :smile:

Yeah, I said no because technically I don't have to be back for a certain time, but I just can't really go until a certain time! Question was too pedantic! Yeah, they all did apart from VSO, I think it said dates tbc, so we'll soon see. :smile: Thanks, and good luck with your selection day! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest