The Student Room Group

Volunteering with the International Citizen Service

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by cdude
I went with VSO and yeah we were the last group to go before the office shut down over there. A real shame but it's down to VSO's funding. I found the ICS program through an advert on the radio i think, researched online, applied then got assigned to Tajikistan after a successful interview day. The overall experience was fantastic. It's changed me so much and has really made me more confident, sociable and clearer about life. I stayed with a local family in Tajikistan and Tajiks are sooo friendly. In fact, i think the majority of Asian cultures are amazing in terms of hospitality. The guys on my team were alright, had a few problems but nothing big. Would definitely recommend this program if you have the opportunity to do it :smile:

Hi, I have a few questions! When you were volunteering did you feel like your help was contributing to improve the issue of poverty, did you feel like you were making a positive change or rather an extra pair of hands? Thank you
Reply 541
Original post by Rima11
Hi, I have a few questions! When you were volunteering did you feel like your help was contributing to improve the issue of poverty, did you feel like you were making a positive change or rather an extra pair of hands? Thank you

That's an interesting question. It's difficult to say for all ICS programs but i can let you know about my experience. So we were partnered with a business and the project was 'helping marginalized women'. What confused me and the rest of my team was the fact that i was partnered with a business that was already quite successful- the woman running it had a 4x4 and was definitely NOT in poverty. When we addressed this issue with the head of VSO TJK and the staff he simply explained due to the lack of communication and tight deadline between London and TJK office they had to pick a business and had not done efficient research. They apologized. Outside of placements, we did do a few 'community action days' where we went to a school and talked about entrepreneurship and starting businesses. We also held a job fair event where we organized businesses and students to come together and discuss employment opportunities. The whole experience was amazing, but poverty is such a complex and long term issue that can't be solved in a 3 month placement. We passed on some soft skills, and these take months and years to see real benefit. Hard skills such as digging wells and building schools will have a much quicker impact, but locals can do this themselves not some 18 y/old westerner on their gap year. I've met other ICS volunteers and they had a different experiences to me but everyone had a great time and changed their lives for the good.
Original post by whenigrowup
Awesome - that helps a lot, thank you so much! Definitely helps as regard to the assessment day, I'll make sure to have done my research :smile:

Sorry I have a couple more things to ask if you don't mind!

I do speak Spanish yeah, think it's a requirement for team leaders to Bolivia but not sure. What sort of things did you find to be an issue when you were in Bolivia? How long were you there for? I do think I'm fairly organised so that should help a little bit. What kind of ages were the team leaders in your group? Sorry I know that some of those are pretty open-ended questions; just any thoughts you have would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much.

Yeah, I think all team leaders have to speak Spanish, but be warned that most of the volunteers probably won't! There were a couple of issues that the co-ordinators dealt with extremely poorly, mostly things to do with the dry programme. You're not supposed to drink whilst you're on placement (which is not in itself a bad rule, but expecting a group of mostly 18 and 19 year olds to stick to that is unrealistic) but at the start, they told us if we got into any problems, we could contact them and they would deal with the situation without judgement regardless of whether someone had been drinking. Not true and they dealt with some very sensitive situations with a total lack of respect and compassion. But other than that, it was generally well run.
I was there for 10 weeks and my teamleaders were 23 and 25, I think.
Original post by cdude
That's an interesting question. It's difficult to say for all ICS programs but i can let you know about my experience. So we were partnered with a business and the project was 'helping marginalized women'. What confused me and the rest of my team was the fact that i was partnered with a business that was already quite successful- the woman running it had a 4x4 and was definitely NOT in poverty. When we addressed this issue with the head of VSO TJK and the staff he simply explained due to the lack of communication and tight deadline between London and TJK office they had to pick a business and had not done efficient research. They apologized. Outside of placements, we did do a few 'community action days' where we went to a school and talked about entrepreneurship and starting businesses. We also held a job fair event where we organized businesses and students to come together and discuss employment opportunities. The whole experience was amazing, but poverty is such a complex and long term issue that can't be solved in a 3 month placement. We passed on some soft skills, and these take months and years to see real benefit. Hard skills such as digging wells and building schools will have a much quicker impact, but locals can do this themselves not some 18 y/old westerner on their gap year. I've met other ICS volunteers and they had a different experiences to me but everyone had a great time and changed their lives for the good.

Hi! I applied for ICS Entrepreneur about 2 weeks ago, I got the follow up email asking me to supply some 'additional information', i.e. things about income, etc.. I sent this back the day after and haven't heard anything since! Is this normal? When should I expect to hear back and what happens next?! Also I applied to go anytime after the new year (January hopefully!) if this helps! Thanks!
I'm thinking of applying to do ICS when I turn 17 to go go when I'm 18. I did my National Citizen Service, will this mean I have a better chance of getting on? And has anyone else applied to go at this young- will it mean I have a worse chance?
I'm going to an assessment day this Saturday in London with 'Restless Development'. I'm excited but definitely starting to feel quite nervous now!

I'm travelling from Scotland, so I'm having to stay in London overnight beforehand. Long coach journey!

Anyway, has anyone got any advice? Also, what are the chances of getting a place? Is it competitive?

Thanks!
Hey! I just did my VSO assessment day in London a week ago! Stayed overnight before too. Although I can't say for Restless development I assume they are all similar! Really just be yourself, mine was a really chilled day, lovely people everyone was super nice and the usual 'team-building', a bit of scenario testing where they sort of see how you would deal with a scenario (but generally you just chat as a group, it's fine) and obvs and interview! But really just be friendly and yourself and it's fine! They said we would here within two weeks but I heard back the same day. Also ours said they had enough places for everyone on the session so chances are high, just depends on whether they want you I guess! Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 547
Just wondering if anybody could shed some light on the organisations and how it is all organised.
I applied online and put the international service program and Tearfund as my preferences.
Got an email the other day from VSO inviting me to an assessment day, nobody called me up. Does this mean I have already been assigned to the VSO program if I am successful? I kind of had my heart set on the other schemes.
Or is it the case that VSO is the umbrella organisation and you get assigned to programs once you have passed the assessment centre?
Reply 548
Hi guys, I'm set to go out to Cambodia with VSO ICS in February, I'm in the fundraising process currently. If anyone has any questions don't hesitate to ask! The assessment day is a lot less scary than you'd think and is actually quite fun. Just be yourself and be friendly and you'll be fine! Cor898 yes, if VSO has asked you to an assessment day you will have been assigned to them. Unfortunately ICS cannot guarantee you get any of your preferences as you are assigned depeding on the needs of the charities. Good luck!
Reply 549
Also if anybody is feeling kind and wants to help with my fundraising you can text 'APEZ69' and an amount between £1-£10 to 70070 to donate to the cause! Thank you! :smile:
Just to confirm that ICS are no longer operating in Bolivia due to security concerns.
Original post by prillsb
Hi guys, I'm set to go out to Cambodia with VSO ICS in February, I'm in the fundraising process currently. If anyone has any questions don't hesitate to ask! The assessment day is a lot less scary than you'd think and is actually quite fun. Just be yourself and be friendly and you'll be fine! Cor898 yes, if VSO has asked you to an assessment day you will have been assigned to them. Unfortunately ICS cannot guarantee you get any of your preferences as you are assigned depeding on the needs of the charities. Good luck!

Hey! I had my assement day with VSO for ICS and got accepted the wohoo! I really want to go to Cambodia so finger crossed. What would you say the whole pre acceptance stage is like?
Hey All, I had completed my ICS placement in July 2014 over in Nepaland it was definitely one of the best experiences in my life. It was an eyeopener into the real world and it made me think how much we take things forgranted in UK whereas compared to the people living in rural conditions theyare satisfied with the minimal. Those that are considering to take thisopportunity up I say go for it as there are loads of benefits to this programmeand you will learn and develop a lot as a person, you may think 3 months ordepending on the duration of your programme is long but I would say it is worthit and its an experience you will cherish for the rest of you lifetime knowingyou have made a positive impact in the world. Just go with an open mind and youare not alone. I’d like to take this opportunity to share my short video Ihad recently made on my ICS trip in Nepal- feel free to have a watch of it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5OdwnYm554 Feel free to ask me any questionsregarding my trip, here to help
Reply 553
Original post by Bocicowo
Just to confirm that ICS are no longer operating in Bolivia due to security concerns.

They have volunteers there still at the moment.
Will this be the last tour? That is a shame.
I am considering volunteering for ICS, as I am on a gap year and want to do something productive. But I have a few issues, I am retaking 2 exams so I don't want to leave before my exams [June time] - that leaves July - September for volunteering, since it's the summer would that mean it would be over subscribed reducing my chances of volunteering?

I also wanted to ask how did you go about fundraising £800. It honestly sounds like a lot, and I am not completely confident I could raise that much.

Thanks a lot.
Original post by Happilyme
Hey, I might want to do something similar to you but my placement is in September. Could you let me know how things went for you in regards to seperating your flight home? Thanks

Yo, curious to know what exactly ended up happening.

On their FAQs it said that you had to return back with the group you went with.
Hi,
Could anyone tell me which would be better to work with (by this evening) Progressio or Raleigh. ICS have asked me to pick by tomorrow and say which I would rather be with but that country allocation I cannot choose.
I am interested in learning how to build constructions potentially sanitary or defences against natural disasters etc.. and find women's rights interesting (but not sure I'd want to teach it) but not so interested in football, arts & crafts and that sort of thing.
Progressio leaving dates are April and Raleigh are in June.
Progressio offer Malawi (East Africa £563-617 poor people, teaching in schools HIV), Honduras (America £470 construction ecostoves, coffee production, reforestation, irrigation), Zimbabwe (East Africa £507-769 HIV awareness, football, drama), Nicaragua (America £479-523 construction of diques, eco-stoves, planting veg gardens), El Salvador (America £459 tree planting, environmental issues, seed banks, climate change, painting murals) & Raleigh offer Nepal (Asia £492 water+santitation, tackle poverty), Nicaragua (America £479-523 improve water, sanitation, hygiene, small businesses), Tanzania (East Africa £421-596 improve water sanitation, hygiene, small businesses).
I have included the cost of flights (according to google flights) as if I want to go to a few countries then it would be better if these prices are more expensive because if I were to pay myself then I'd rather pay less if I choose to self-fund a trip (if that makes sense...)
Thanks in advance.
Original post by jazzybob
Yo, curious to know what exactly ended up happening.

On their FAQs it said that you had to return back with the group you went with.

As ICS is government-funded, all volunteers have to return on the flights booked by their partner.
Hey guys, I applied a while ago but didn't put any preferences down. I've been placed with Lattitude and waiting to hear back about the details for the selection event. Has anyone here volunteered with this organisation? and any tips about what the selection event entails? Cheers :smile:
Original post by lisa96
Hey guys, I applied a while ago but didn't put any preferences down. I've been placed with Lattitude and waiting to hear back about the details for the selection event. Has anyone here volunteered with this organisation? and any tips about what the selection event entails? Cheers :smile:

A couple people in this thread have posted their experiences with lattitude. I havent yet heard anyone whos gone through assessment and was rejected. Are you happy with being placed with lattitude? Which country are you off to and when?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending