The Student Room Group

Volunteering with the International Citizen Service

Scroll to see replies

Original post by peachpetals
A couple people in this thread have posted their experiences with lattitude. I havent yet heard anyone whos gone through assessment and was rejected. Are you happy with being placed with lattitude? Which country are you off to and when?

Just had a quick look through this thread and seems like most selection events follow a similar format. Bit nervous about the fact that it's a whole day 😳

Latitude's projects seems interesting but they only work in two countries in Africa. I think I'll probably find out the country if I'm successful after the selection event. Mines on the 4th of Feb in Reading.

Which organisation have u been placed with? :smile:
Returned volunteer here. Just got back from South Africa with Skillshare so any questions pm me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cdude
I went with VSO and yeah we were the last group to go before the office shut down over there. A real shame but it's down to VSO's funding. I found the ICS program through an advert on the radio i think, researched online, applied then got assigned to Tajikistan after a successful interview day. The overall experience was fantastic. It's changed me so much and has really made me more confident, sociable and clearer about life. I stayed with a local family in Tajikistan and Tajiks are sooo friendly. In fact, i think the majority of Asian cultures are amazing in terms of hospitality. The guys on my team were alright, had a few problems but nothing big. Would definitely recommend this program if you have the opportunity to do it :smile:

Hi! I've got my pre-placement training weekend with VSO soon and was just wondering what sort of things you do over the weekend?! 😃
Reply 563
Hi everyone, I applied for ICS last Sunday and heard back from them the next day asking for more info (which charities I want to get involved in etc). I chose Restless Development and Raleigh/Pravah from what I can remember! Got into a bit of a tizz trying to choose the right ones to get the countries I most want to go to; Bangladesh, India and Nepal. Looking forward to [hopefully] hearing from them soon ^_^
I applied last Sunday too! I heard a reply the next day and put International Service as my first choice. Waiting to hear from one of the partnering companies, it feels like i'm checking my emails every second! For those of you who have been through the it - around how many people get through the selection process? Is it quite competitive? Thank you!
Original post by lisa96
Just had a quick look through this thread and seems like most selection events follow a similar format. Bit nervous about the fact that it's a whole day 😳

Latitude's projects seems interesting but they only work in two countries in Africa. I think I'll probably find out the country if I'm successful after the selection event. Mines on the 4th of Feb in Reading.

Which organisation have u been placed with? :smile:

I've been placed with ballon ventures, but still waiting to hear about selection day. So glad i got placed with them though! Did you not want to go to Africa??? For me i just didnt want to be in south America, it is just too dangerous
Reply 566
Original post by GraceyGrace
Hi! I've got my pre-placement training weekend with VSO soon and was just wondering what sort of things you do over the weekend?! 😃

There's a lot of group activites, brain storming (i don't know if i'm allowed to say that anymore & i dont care haha) and general information about your trip. It's all great fun and you'll meet a few other groups going to different countries.
Enjoy :smile:
Original post by cdude
Thereh's a lot of group activites, brain storming (i don't know if i'm allowed to say that anymore & i dont care haha) and general information about your trip. It's all great fun and you'll meet a few other groups going to different countries.
Enjoy :smile:

Im guessing you've been on your trip. How was it?
I've been placed with ballon ventures, but still waiting to hear about selection day. So glad i got placed with them though! Did you not want to go to Africa??? For me i just didnt want to be in south America, it is just too dangerous

Lattitude are no longer partners with ICS so I've been placed with Raleigh now. Got the selection event on the 2nd of Feb :redface:
Reply 569
Has anyone come back recently? Would love to know how you got in with whichever organisation you went with.Trying to work out my preferences :smile:
Thanks
Reply 570
Original post by Bocicowo
Just to confirm that ICS are no longer operating in Bolivia due to security concerns.

Oh, do you know why?
Does anyone know how much the costs are with VSO? It says you need to fundraise £800 does that cover everything? Or are there more costs such as flights. I'm really worried I will be unable to even raise that amount.
Hey,

I have an AC tomorrow in London, but I know they have some in York too.

Either way they actually reimburse travel :smile:

Hope that helps
Original post by kavitamardania
Hey,

I have an AC tomorrow in London, but I know they have some in York too.

Either way they actually reimburse travel :smile:

Hope that helps

Got my assessment on 26th Feb. With Ballon ventures in London . Tell us how you get on . Who is your AC with? From what i know it is rare for anyone to be unsuccessful but fingers crossed
Original post by printergirl
Does anyone know how much the costs are with VSO? It says you need to fundraise £800 does that cover everything? Or are there more costs such as flights. I'm really worried I will be unable to even raise that amount.

All the costs should be the same across ics so £800 for everything, no extra costs as flights, accommodation and food are all organised :smile:
Hi, I am just filling out the application form now but there looks to be a character limit for the question about helping others. Once we submit the initial form are we asked further questions or is this the only one? I feel like I have a lot more to say than we are given room for.

Original post by flo44810
Hi, I am just filling out the application form now but there looks to be a character limit for the question about helping others. Once we submit the initial form are we asked further questions or is this the only one? I feel like I have a lot more to say than we are given room for.

I had more questions to complete but I filled out the form for ICS entrepreneur, the regular one may be different. I really wouldn't worry about writing too much.
Hey all, I got a place with Raleigh and will be going to Tanzania in June.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to fundraise? My uni provides grants for travelling so hopefully will get £400 from them. Although I have a part time job and student finance, I'd like to fundraise the remaining £400 so if anyone has any suggestions then please let me know.

I've also just set up a just giving page, so if anyone fancies donating then it will be greatly appreciated https://www.justgiving.com/Lisa-Bi :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lisa96
Hey all, I got a place with Raleigh and will be going to Tanzania in June.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to fundraise? My uni provides grants for travelling so hopefully will get £400 from them. Although I have a part time job and student finance, I'd like to fundraise the remaining £400 so if anyone has any suggestions then please let me know.

I've also just set up a just giving page, so if anyone fancies donating then it will be greatly appreciated https://www.justgiving.com/Lisa-Bi :smile:

How did your assessment go?
How did your assessment go?

Hey, it went well :smile: The day itself felt incredibly long, especially when waiting for the individual interviews to take place.

There was around 15-20 people there on the day and we got split up into groups, so roughly around 8-10 people per group. My group did the individual interviews in the morning and then after lunch had the group activity which involved building a bridge using the materials that they had provided on the table. They gave us 2 mins to plan in our groups how we would build the bridge (without touching anything) and then another 2 mins to actually build it, and then a final 2 mins to complete the bridge using only one hand. Afterwards we just refelcted on the group task and what we thought we could do better. Then we got presented with 3-4 different scenarios and discussed as a group what we would do in that situation.

Everyone on the day was incredibly friendly and they said that we weren't in competition with one another, and that the only people who don't get places for ICS are those who don't contribute during the day. This was for Raleigh, but think most organisers have a similar format.

When is your interview? x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending