The Student Room Group

Volunteering with the International Citizen Service

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lisa96
Hey, it went well :smile: The day itself felt incredibly long, especially when waiting for the individual interviews to take place.

There was around 15-20 people there on the day and we got split up into groups, so roughly around 8-10 people per group. My group did the individual interviews in the morning and then after lunch had the group activity which involved building a bridge using the materials that they had provided on the table. They gave us 2 mins to plan in our groups how we would build the bridge (without touching anything) and then another 2 mins to actually build it, and then a final 2 mins to complete the bridge using only one hand. Afterwards we just refelcted on the group task and what we thought we could do better. Then we got presented with 3-4 different scenarios and discussed as a group what we would do in that situation.

Everyone on the day was incredibly friendly and they said that we weren't in competition with one another, and that the only people who don't get places for ICS are those who don't contribute during the day. This was for Raleigh, but think most organisers have a similar format.

When is your interview? x

Hi thanks for going over what you did on your assessment, it really helped me with what to expect on mine. I did mine today with balloon ventures

Thought i would write about my experiences for those interested.
It was a group of 10, first we had to introduce ourselves by explaining where in the world we wanted to visit and why. Then we were split in groups and had to made a giffare from newspaper and sellotape while the assessors watched us. Then we were given scenarios on what could happen on a placement e.g. if a entrepreneur didn't answer their phone regularly etc and we had to discuss what we would do in those situations whilst an assessor watched us. Then in different groups we had to come up with a business idea that we then had to present to everyone as a group.

Then there was lunch, then we had interviews. After that we then had to come up with a solo presentation about a topic we were passionate about. And throughout the day after each task we had to discuss one by one what we had learnt in a circle.

The interviews were relaxed but to be honest the whole day did feel competitive. Everyone was really trying to get their point across and prove themselves to the assessors. Everyone was lovely though. and it was based in central London so easy for me to get to. Age range was 17-23. The interview is the easiest bit so don't worry about it, i found the solo presentations the hardest as i had no clue what to say

Fingers cross i get through!
Hey guys, I am going to Zimbabwe in July with Progressio UK.

Those of you worried about the interview and assessment center day - honestly there is nothing to worry about. Just as long as you are somewhat confident in yourself and show enthusiasm for the project, you are more than likely going to get a place!!

Is anyone going to Zimbabwe, or volunteering with Progressio?
How is everyone fundraising??

If you have any questions about the application process, for those who haven't started it yet, ill be happy to answer any questions! :smile:
Original post by Oheemakeke
Hey guys, I am going to Zimbabwe in July with Progressio UK.

Those of you worried about the interview and assessment center day - honestly there is nothing to worry about. Just as long as you are somewhat confident in yourself and show enthusiasm for the project, you are more than likely going to get a place!!

Is anyone going to Zimbabwe, or volunteering with Progressio?
How is everyone fundraising??

If you have any questions about the application process, for those who haven't started it yet, ill be happy to answer any questions! :smile:

When did you find out the results of your assessment? And did you have solo presentations?
Original post by peachpetals
When did you find out the results of your assessment? And did you have solo presentations?

I found out about a week after my assessment. They sent an email confirming, and what my next steps e.g health forms, fundraising ect.

&I didn't have to do a presentation, we did A LOT of group work and (approximately) a 30 minute interview.

Have you found out where you are going and who with yet? :smile:
Original post by Oheemakeke
I found out about a week after my assessment. They sent an email confirming, and what my next steps e.g health forms, fundraising ect.

&I didn't have to do a presentation, we did A LOT of group work and (approximately) a 30 minute interview.

Have you found out where you are going and who with yet? :smile:

Its most likely going to be Kenya or Ghana . And it will be with Ballon Ventures. I don't know if i was successful yet. I had my assessment on Friday. Im sceptical if i will be successful as i was so nervous for all of the presentations we had to do so . The group stuff i found pretty easy and fun. I feel like Ballons assessment is more competitive as it is business focused.

I wonder how many people actually get rejected after assessment day. Did you request to go Zimbabwe?
(edited 8 years ago)
hi guys im currently taking a gap year of a levels and im looking for some work exp in hosptials are there any good suggestions on what i should do and if there are any placements out there it would he great if you could help me out
Original post by Fa123123
hi guys im currently taking a gap year of a levels and im looking for some work exp in hosptials are there any good suggestions on what i should do and if there are any placements out there it would he great if you could help me out

Hey I'm currently on a gap year too! I'll be working on a health project with VSO in a couple of months, I don't think we'll be doing any hospital placements from what I've gathered the idea is more to teach skills like good hygiene, first aid and things like that. For hospital placements check out Gap Medics or maybe ProjectAbroad. Hope that helps!
Its most likely going to be Kenya or Ghana . And it will be with Ballon Ventures. I don't know if i was successful yet. I had my assessment on Friday. Im sceptical if i will be successful as i was so nervous for all of the presentations we had to do so . The group stuff i found pretty easy and fun. I feel like Ballons assessment is more competitive as it is business focused.

I wonder how many people actually get rejected after assessment day. Did you request to go Zimbabwe?

Found out I was successful! yay. Anyways I would advise anyone to look into sixth form, uni, and government / charity grants . As often these organisations have a dedicated fund they are obliged to spend charitably
If anyone is from the North id defo recommend applying for The Joicey Trust as they gave me a cheque for £300 towards my expedition to Tanzania! 🎉
Original post by lisa96
If anyone is from the North id defo recommend applying for The Joicey Trust as they gave me a cheque for £300 towards my expedition to Tanzania! 🎉

Wow how did you find out about them!?? I'm in the south so no luck for me. Well done though!
Wow how did you find out about them!?? I'm in the south so no luck for me. Well done though!

Raleigh sent us out a document with a list of organisations who provide grants and donations toward these kind of projects!

Where abouts are you from? I know there's a few in London which offer grants too i.e http://www.jackpetcheyfoundation.org.uk/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lisa96
Raleigh sent us out a document with a list of organisations who provide grants and donations toward these kind of projects!

Where abouts are you from? I know there's a few in London which offer grants too i.e http://www.jackpetcheyfoundation.org.uk/

Im based in Cambridgeshire. Do you know any foundations that offer any grants for my region? Thanks
Reply 592
Has anyone been with skillshare or international service?
Thanks
Im based in Cambridgeshire. Do you know any foundations that offer any grants for my region? Thanks

Checkout https://grants-search.turn2us.org.uk - just enter your postcode and it should show you what's available in your area :smile: also check out your city councils website to see if they offer anything to students
Reply 594
Has anyone got an assessment centre on the 15th with Challenges Worldwde? I think they're new to ICS.

Also why is there almost no discussion about this scheme online, is it quite unpopular or does nobody talk about it for some reason?
Original post by Take
Has anyone got an assessment centre on the 15th with Challenges Worldwde? I think they're new to ICS.

Also why is there almost no discussion about this scheme online, is it quite unpopular or does nobody talk about it for some reason?

I wondered the same thing when i applied for ICS Entrepreneur with Balloon ventures as no one talks about it. But the lady i spoke to at ICS said ics entrepreneur charities is newer (started 2014) but also more competitive. Also apparently alot of people dont feel they are qualified for entrepreneur so therefore they choose something else . The reason i just didn't pick challenges as they seemed to be less teamwork but i know a friend who went and she said every weekend they met up and went on trips and she loved it.

I personally believe Balloon and Challenges are one of the best schemes as you learn proper business skills that any employer would love. Do you know when you will be going?
Reply 596
I wondered the same thing when i applied for ICS Entrepreneur with Balloon ventures as no one talks about it. But the lady i spoke to at ICS said ics entrepreneur charities is newer (started 2014) but also more competitive. Also apparently alot of people dont feel they are qualified for entrepreneur so therefore they choose something else . The reason i just didn't pick challenges as they seemed to be less teamwork but i know a friend who went and she said every weekend they met up and went on trips and she loved it.

I personally believe Balloon and Challenges are one of the best schemes as you learn proper business skills that any employer would love. Do you know when you will be going?

Yeah I put Balloon as my preference but got Challenges which I'm happy about. Possibly June/July time if I'm accepted. I've got a bit of business experience, worked in sales for a couple of years before uni, worked in a startup in summer of first year and im currently on a year in industry with a big engineering firm so hopefully I will be able to offer something.

Have you been abroad with balloon ventures or have you just applied?
Original post by Take
Yeah I put Balloon as my preference but got Challenges which I'm happy about. Possibly June/July time if I'm accepted. I've got a bit of business experience, worked in sales for a couple of years before uni, worked in a startup in summer of first year and im currently on a year in industry with a big engineering firm so hopefully I will be able to offer something.

Nope I just applied to Balloon and now after being accepted im fundraising for them. What's your preferred location you would like to go to with Challenges?
Reply 598
Nope I just applied to Balloon and now after being accepted im fundraising for them. What's your preferred location you would like to go to with Challenges?

I think challenges do Zambia, Ghana and Uganda and out of those three I really don't have a strong preference. Maybe Ghana, but I'd be equally happy anywhere.

That's really cool, I'm sure you'll meet your target. How was your assessment day? any tips in particular on how to come across and dress?
Original post by Take

Just as a heads up i've heard from an ex-balloon volunteer that it's not solely about who'd be the best candidate to help on the volunteering projects but also who'd benefit the most out of the ICS experience. After all it's a government initiative to develop the UK Citizens too.

You got a Challenges Assessment day coming up? Mines on Tuesday!

Quick Reply

Latest