Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Racism in Islam?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atvA3vsK0S0

A short simple video with some hadiths by the prophet (saw) regarding racism..

Also, Muslims take note:

As a former skinhead(white supremacist) and revert to islam, in pains me to see racism being upheld in the Ummah. It truly makes me shed tears to see Muslims attacking Muslims based on race and location. My heart,mind and body was once plagued and infested by racial ideologies and violence and Allah Ta'Ala brought me out of that darkness through a dream of Isa(as). Now I am the only muslim in my family and location. But its just a test from Allah

ArchaicReality 18 hours ago
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    very informative video thanks for sharing
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    **** vid.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pr0view)
    **** vid.
    Yeah? No comment aye?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jazakallah for the video
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I dont have to watch a video to know Islam, Christianity etc has many racist, bigoted followers.

BUT WAIT...THEY AINT WHITE AND THEY'RE NOT JEWS OR CHRISTIANS!

Obviously not racist....obviously :lol:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    "All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action".

The Prophet Muhammad's (PBUH) Last Sermon
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    you copied the top comment

Cheat
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARRY PUTAH)
    I dont have to watch a video to know Islam, Christianity etc has many racist, bigoted followers.

BUT WAIT...THEY AINT WHITE AND THEY'RE NOT JEWS OR CHRISTIANS!

Obviously not racist....obviously :lol:
    What are you trying to say? I don't understand/
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    you copied the top comment

Cheat
    I know, its to some ignorant Muslims who are ethnocentric
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does the Qu'ran condemn or condone slavery? Is their any Qu'ranic basis to condemn slavery?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Does the Qu'ran condemn or condone slavery? Is their any Qu'ranic basis to condemn slavery?
    The Quran/Hadiths do allow slavery, but it is not necessarily limited to Black people or any specific race.. Plus it differs from the ''European'' slavery because Muslims are commanded to ensure their slaves are dressed as themselves (ie good standard).. I'll try find you some hadiths tommorrow godwilling
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    This verse, although has a broad meaning, came in defence of a former black slave -

O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted. [Q 49:13]
    Wahidi's tafsir - Surah Hujurat 49:13:
    "(O mankind! Lo! We have created you male and female…) [49:13]. Said Ibn 'Abbas: "This was revealed about Thabit ibn Qays when he made a remark about the man who did not make room for him to sit: 'What, the son of so-and-so [referring to his mother]'. The Messenger of Allah, Allah bless him and give him peace, said: 'Who mentioned that woman?' Thabit stood up and said: 'I did, O Messenger of Allah!' The Messenger said to him: 'Look at the faces of those present'. And when he looked, he asked him: 'What do you see?' He said: 'I see white, red and black people'. The Prophet said: 'Well, you are not better than any of them unless it be through [the good practice of] religion and God-fearingness'. Allah, exalted is He, then revealed this verse'. Muqatil said: "On the day Mecca was conquered, the Messenger of Allah, Allah bless him and give him peace, ordered Bilal to climb on the roof of the Ka'bah and perform the call to prayer. 'Attab ibn Asid commented on this: 'Praise be to Allah, that Allah has taken my father to Him and made that he did not see this day'. Al-Harith ibn Hisham said: 'Did Muhammad not find any other caller to prayer except this black raven?' Suhayl ibn 'Amr said: 'Allah willing, he will change him'. Abu Sufyan, on the other hand, said: 'I am not going to make any comment; I am afraid that the Lord of heaven will divulge what I say!' Gabriel, peace be upon him, went to the Prophet, Allah bless him and give him peace, and informed him about what they said. The Prophet summoned them and asked them about what they said and they admitted it. Allah, exalted is He, then revealed this verse warning them against boasting about their lineages and abundance of wealth and against looking down on the poor'. Abu Hassan al-Muzakki informed us> Harun ibn Muhammad al-Istrabadhi> Abu Muhammad Ishaq ibn Muhammad al-Khuza'i> Abu'l-Walid al-Azraqi> his grandfather> 'Abd al-Jabbar ibn al-Ward al-Makki> Ibn Abi Mulaykah who said: "On the day Mecca was conquered, Bilal climbed on the roof of the Ka'bah and performed the call to prayer. One person said: 'O servants of Allah! How can this black slave be allowed to perform the call to prayer on top of the Ka'bah?' Another man said: 'If Allah is displeased, He will change him."

Bilal(ra), his skin colour or his poor lineage, did not stop him from being one of the greatest companians of the Prophet(pbuh). An inspiration to billions, May Allah be pleased with him.

(Original post by SMed)
    Islamic slavery is very different to the western-atlantic slavery.

Regarding slaves, the Qur'an mainly talks about 2 things;

1. How to treat slaves (which is very well)

2. Freeing them, which was seen as amongst one of the best deeds.

Examples of verses;

"…But it is righteousness…to spend of your substance out of love for Him…for the ransom of slaves.."[2:177]

"And whoever kills a believer by mistake, it is ordained that he should free a believing slave.."[4:92]

"He will call you to account for your deliberate oaths: for expiation…give a slave his freedom.."[5:89]

"…ye…may wed believing girls from among those whom your right hands posses (slaves)….wed them with the leave of their owners, and give them their dower…"[4:25]

"And if any of your slaves ask you for a deed in writing (for emancipation) give them such a deed; If ye knew any good in them: yea, give them something yourselves out of the means which Allah has given to you…"[24]

"So when you meet in battle those who disbelieve, then smite the necks until when you have overcome them, then make (them) prisoners, and afterwards either set them free as a favor or let them ransom (themselves) until the war terminates…"[47:4]

It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces Towards east or West; but it is righteousness- to believe in Allah and the Last Day, and the Angels, and the Book, and the Messengers; to spend of your substance, out of love for Him, for your kin, for orphans, for the needy, for the wayfarer, for those who ask, and for the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer, and practice regular charity; to fulfil the contracts which ye have made; and to be firm and patient, in pain (or suffering) and adversity, and throughout all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth, the Allah-fearing. [2:177]

The Prophet(pbuh) and his companians alone are said to have freed around 30,000-40,000 slaves.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxiKillxXx)
    The Quran/Hadiths do allow slavery, but it is not necessarily limited to Black people or any specific race.. Plus it differs from the ''European'' slavery because Muslims are commanded to ensure their slaves are dressed as themselves (ie good standard).. I'll try find you some hadiths tommorrow godwilling
    (Original post by Perseveranze)

Examples of verses;

The Prophet(pbuh) and his companians alone are said to have freed around 30,000-40,000 slaves.
    Do you think slavery is wrong? By that, I mean do you think it is wrong to own another person?
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Do you think slavery is wrong? By that, I mean do you think it is wrong to own another person?
    Sometimes situations and circumstances require it, I mean, sure, idealistically everyone would not be a slave. However, there are situations where it may be necassary, such as war and so on. Who knows what can happen in the future.

But I'm talking about the Islamic concept of it, not necassarily the Atlantic where it had alot to do with racism and forced labour.

The nature of the Atlantic trade and therefore the survival of racism in the West has been one of segregation. There wasn't this separation in Islam. Whites didn't push blacks off the pavement. They didn't forbid restaurants to serve them. I don't think that there's any disputing that slavery was a more benevolent institution in Islam than it was in the West. - Ronald Segal, 17/02/2002

In Islamic slavery, freedom was encouraged, but more importantly, slaves were seen differently to the western way of looking at them.

What I sincerely believe is that slavery among the Muslims is better than slavery among any other people, and that the situation of slaves in the east is better than that of servants in Europe, and that slaves in the east are part of the family. Slaves who wanted to be free could attain freedom by expressing their wish. But despite that, they did not resort to exercising this right. - Gustave le Bon says in Hadaarat al-‘Arab (Arab Civilization) (p. 459-460)

They were more rather like an extension of the family, sort've like the Maids you have today (difference being maids can go free anytime they like, slaves couldn't unless they expressed it and made a contract). I'm not going to deny they didn't have equal rights, but one thing they did have is protection from the law, guaranteed sustanance, and amples of opportunities to gain freedom.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes situations and circumstances require it, I mean, sure, idealistically everyone would not be a slave. However, there are situations where it may be necassary, such as war and so on. Who knows what can happen in the future.

But I'm talking about the Islamic concept of it, not necassarily the Atlantic where it had alot to do with racism and forced labour.

The nature of the Atlantic trade and therefore the survival of racism in the West has been one of segregation. There wasn't this separation in Islam. Whites didn't push blacks off the pavement. They didn't forbid restaurants to serve them. I don't think that there's any disputing that slavery was a more benevolent institution in Islam than it was in the West. - Ronald Segal, 17/02/2002

In Islamic slavery, freedom was encouraged, but more importantly, slaves were seen differently to the western way of looking at them.

What I sincerely believe is that slavery among the Muslims is better than slavery among any other people, and that the situation of slaves in the east is better than that of servants in Europe, and that slaves in the east are part of the family. Slaves who wanted to be free could attain freedom by expressing their wish. But despite that, they did not resort to exercising this right. - Gustave le Bon says in Hadaarat al-‘Arab (Arab Civilization) (p. 459-460)

They were more rather like an extension of the family, sort've like the Maids you have today (difference being maids can go free anytime they like, slaves couldn't unless they expressed it and made a contract). I'm not going to deny they didn't have equal rights, but one thing they did have is protection from the law, guaranteed sustanance, and amples of opportunities to gain freedom.
    You think slavery should be required during war? Then why is slavery banned in Islamic countries today? And what about children of slaves? They weren't war criminals, why should they be bought and sold like commodities?

No matter how nice you think it was for them, the Islamic Slave trade was not all that different to the Atlantic Slave trade. Interestingly, the Americans wanted more men for labour, and the Arabs wanted more women as concubines. Muslims went to Africa and captured people from their home lands, just like Westerners. Both were horrific, even if it's claimed one was 'nicer' to their slaves.

They still owned and traded people like commodities.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This verse, although has a broad meaning, came in defence of a former black slave -

O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted. [Q 49:13]
    Wahidi's tafsir - Surah Hujurat 49:13:
    "(O mankind! Lo! We have created you male and female…) [49:13]. Said Ibn 'Abbas: "This was revealed about Thabit ibn Qays when he made a remark about the man who did not make room for him to sit: 'What, the son of so-and-so [referring to his mother]'. The Messenger of Allah, Allah bless him and give him peace, said: 'Who mentioned that woman?' Thabit stood up and said: 'I did, O Messenger of Allah!' The Messenger said to him: 'Look at the faces of those present'. And when he looked, he asked him: 'What do you see?' He said: 'I see white, red and black people'. The Prophet said: 'Well, you are not better than any of them unless it be through [the good practice of] religion and God-fearingness'. Allah, exalted is He, then revealed this verse'. Muqatil said: "On the day Mecca was conquered, the Messenger of Allah, Allah bless him and give him peace, ordered Bilal to climb on the roof of the Ka'bah and perform the call to prayer. 'Attab ibn Asid commented on this: 'Praise be to Allah, that Allah has taken my father to Him and made that he did not see this day'. Al-Harith ibn Hisham said: 'Did Muhammad not find any other caller to prayer except this black raven?' Suhayl ibn 'Amr said: 'Allah willing, he will change him'. Abu Sufyan, on the other hand, said: 'I am not going to make any comment; I am afraid that the Lord of heaven will divulge what I say!' Gabriel, peace be upon him, went to the Prophet, Allah bless him and give him peace, and informed him about what they said. The Prophet summoned them and asked them about what they said and they admitted it. Allah, exalted is He, then revealed this verse warning them against boasting about their lineages and abundance of wealth and against looking down on the poor'. Abu Hassan al-Muzakki informed us> Harun ibn Muhammad al-Istrabadhi> Abu Muhammad Ishaq ibn Muhammad al-Khuza'i> Abu'l-Walid al-Azraqi> his grandfather> 'Abd al-Jabbar ibn al-Ward al-Makki> Ibn Abi Mulaykah who said: "On the day Mecca was conquered, Bilal climbed on the roof of the Ka'bah and performed the call to prayer. One person said: 'O servants of Allah! How can this black slave be allowed to perform the call to prayer on top of the Ka'bah?' Another man said: 'If Allah is displeased, He will change him."

Bilal(ra), his skin colour or his poor lineage, did not stop him from being one of the greatest companians of the Prophet(pbuh). An inspiration to billions, May Allah be pleased with him.

Examples of verses;

"…But it is righteousness…to spend of your substance out of love for Him…for the ransom of slaves.."[2:177]

"And whoever kills a believer by mistake, it is ordained that he should free a believing slave.."[4:92]

"He will call you to account for your deliberate oaths: for expiation…give a slave his freedom.."[5:89]

"…ye…may wed believing girls from among those whom your right hands posses (slaves)….wed them with the leave of their owners, and give them their dower…"[4:25]

"And if any of your slaves ask you for a deed in writing (for emancipation) give them such a deed; If ye knew any good in them: yea, give them something yourselves out of the means which Allah has given to you…"[24]

"So when you meet in battle those who disbelieve, then smite the necks until when you have overcome them, then make (them) prisoners, and afterwards either set them free as a favor or let them ransom (themselves) until the war terminates…"[47:4]

It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces Towards east or West; but it is righteousness- to believe in Allah and the Last Day, and the Angels, and the Book, and the Messengers; to spend of your substance, out of love for Him, for your kin, for orphans, for the needy, for the wayfarer, for those who ask, and for the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer, and practice regular charity; to fulfil the contracts which ye have made; and to be firm and patient, in pain (or suffering) and adversity, and throughout all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth, the Allah-fearing. [2:177]

that also included castrating African slaves who looked at women.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    You think slavery should be required during war? Then why is slavery banned in Islamic countries today? And what about children of slaves? They weren't war criminals, why should they be bought and sold like commodities?

No matter how nice you think it was for them, the Islamic Slave trade was not all that different to the Atlantic Slave trade. Interestingly, the Americans wanted more men for labour, and the Arabs wanted more women as concubines. Muslims went to Africa and captured people from their home lands, just like Westerners. Both were horrific, even if it's claimed one was 'nicer' to their slaves.

They still owned and traded people like commodities.
    Westeners bought slaves. not captured. thats why it was called 'slave trade'.

get your facts right. Africans started the slave trade by selling other tribes to the Muslims then later the Portugese.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claymatser)
    Westeners bought slaves. not captured. thats why it was called 'slave trade'.

get your facts right. Africans started the slave trade by selling other tribes to the Muslims then later the Portugese.
    Thanks for the polite correction... this changes everything I've ever thought about slavery.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Thanks for the polite correction... this changes everything I've ever thought about slavery.
    yep. next time don't judge your assumptions and try to pass them off as facts.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.