Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bike for Sixth form?

Announcements Posted on
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what type of bike I should buy in the summer holidays (after GCSEs)? I'm hopefully going to ride to sixth form on it in the Summer and take it to University if I get that far..
    I like the look of this:
    Spoiler:
    Show

But I'm not really sure of what advantages road bikes bring? They have no suspension, less gears and more fragile. Also, I'm not sure if i'll be able to ride it on the pavement sometimes, as the road can get scary :ahee:

Or maybe something like this:
    Spoiler:
    Show

My max budget would be about 299 I wouldnt realy want to spend anymore. My mom won't allow me to buy a second hand one as she thinks it'll be unsafe and she probably wouldn't listen to any argument put forward, therefore it had to be new. Those bikes were from Evans cycles
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its often better to take a low-spec Mountain Bike if you're ever concerned about the material quality of road bikes. Especially at the budget described. A nice Spec. Hardrock would do you wonders, its rugged and you can do XC on it when you want a weekend out.

Though, visit the Cyclist Society if you want more details from the Roadies there. As a DH'er, my knowledge of the Roady-Machine is limited, at best. However, most of the people I know who regularly ride road to work take a mountain bike, either hardtail or lock-out full sus. This means that you can do two disciplines, rather then being limited to one. However, it is a bit more work. Either you have to pedal that bit harder or you switch out the tires everytime you change terrain.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH-Biker)
    Its often better to take a low-spec Mountain Bike if you're ever concerned about the material quality of road bikes. Especially at the budget described. A nice Spec. Hardrock would do you wonders, its rugged and you can do XC on it when you want a weekend out.

Though, visit the Cyclist Society if you want more details from the Roadies there. As a DH'er, my knowledge of the Roady-Machine is limited, at best. However, most of the people I know who regularly ride road to work take a mountain bike, either hardtail or lock-out full sus. This means that you can do two disciplines, rather then being limited to one. However, it is a bit more work. Either you have to pedal that bit harder or you switch out the tires everytime you change terrain.
    Thanks I think I'll go with the MTB, the road bike looks abit awkward to ride in a suit. Are those pics in your sig you? They look really cool.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 16, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.