Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I love food and I can eat as much as I want whenever I want because I'll burn it off

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's what my house mate said nine months ago when she was size 10 and today she's size 14.

She said she can eat as much as she wants because the running she does will burn it off.

This has led me to wonder, if someone has an average or slow metabolic rate, can they really get away with eating as much as they like if they run regularly? Shouldn't it be coupled with a decent diet?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babygirl110)

This has led me to wonder, if someone has an average or slow metabolic rate, can they really get away with eating as much as they like if they run regularly? Shouldn't it be coupled with a decent diet?
    I take it this houseshare you're in isn't a student houseshare, because you're both far too stupid to be attending university.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not really. That's not actually much exercise. An hour probably burns 550-650 calories which means that's how many extra calories over your maintenance amount (the average 2000 for a women you see everywhere). Eating whatever you want every day is likely to add up to more than 600-1200 calories a week

Life is general should be coupled with a decent diet
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You need a combination of a good diet and exercise. People may get away with having whatever food they like if in an intense regime, but this is more than an average person does. Committed atheletes burn off unusual amounts of energy but every people can't get away with anything just by going running every so often.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just eat loads of protein like me and do weights and girls will be mirin brah. Its what Zy would want.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnnytheFox)
    I take it this houseshare you're in isn't a student houseshare, because you're both far too stupid to be attending university.
    Going to university means nothing these days, a lot of student and graduates are as thick as they come. Just because I don't know much about exercise, it's no reflection whatsoever on my abilities.

There's a reason I asked this question and I also asked it from a 'psuedo' position of ignorance, but you are too thick to have even figured out that anyway. Please don't comment if you don't have anything helpful to say.

Edit: Just noticed that you are studying Biology at UCL. If the study of living organisms is your area of expertise, why expect lay people to know the things you know? Just shows your poor social skills and it's probably the reason why you spend your time on TSR instead of going out partying like other students do.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmTheWumAndOnly)
    Just eat loads of protein like me and do weights and girls will be mirin brah. Its what Zy would want.
    Yuck! I'm all for a balanced diet thank you very much.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    Not really. That's not actually much exercise. An hour probably burns 550-650 calories which means that's how many extra calories over your maintenance amount (the average 2000 for a women you see everywhere). Eating whatever you want every day is likely to add up to more than 600-1200 calories a week

Life is general should be coupled with a decent diet
    Totally makes sense
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's what my house mate said nine months ago when she was size 10 and today she's size 14.

She said she can eat as much as she wants because the running she does will burn it off.

In other words, you said it.

As has been mentioned, most people heavily underestimate how much exercise they need to do to burn these things off.

(Original post by JohnnytheFox)
    This.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

this is my opinion:
    you can change your metabolic rate with exercise...
    shes technically correct, just that she failed to do it properly...
    in terms of calories in and colories out, you can eat whatever fat crap you want, but youd have to exercise a hell of a lot more than youre currently doing to remove the calories... i dont see the need to work out more just for the satisfaction of eating what you want... maybe occasionally with certain favs, but doing it with all food and everyday?

if you want to go the easy route, you might as well have a healthy diet.... less to work off...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In other words you said it, and no you are wondering why you are fat?

Well, an hour run at an amatuer speed (non olympian, average jogger) probably burns 600 calories. Which is about 2 mars bars. Or a pudding at dinner time.

If "your house mate" eats whatever she wants, whenever she wants, then an hour run a day really wont save "her".
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    In other words, you said it.

As has been mentioned, most people heavily underestimate how much exercise they need to do to burn these things off.

This.
    Look here, I wasn't looking for snide comments from TSR worms. I wanted to find out if my house mate's ideas on exercise and diet are held by many.

I maintain a perfect and well balanced diet, along with exercise. I don't think anyone's advice can add value to the way I already manage the my body.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikestraws)
    In other words you said it, and no you are wondering why you are fat?

Well, an hour run at an amatuer speed (non olympian, average jogger) probably burns 600 calories. Which is about 2 mars bars. Or a pudding at dinner time.

If "your house mate" eats whatever she wants, whenever she wants, then an hour run a day really wont save "her".
    The statement was rhetoric.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you want to avoid the flab, you need the following.

Muscle. This burns calories whatever you're doing during the day and night. It requires 0 activity either. Just sit there and your body is consuming calories.

Addequate diet. You eat for what you can use unless you are involved in streneous exercise such as weightlifting, bodybuilding, swimming, strongman, runing.

Olympians require 5-6k calories a day, even the women so take what you wish of this.

Metabolic rate. Depends on genetics but a high metabolic rate will be a pain in the arse when trying to put on weight if you want more muscle. A constant stream of food is required.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The statement was rhetoric.
    I have to say though they do have a point. The reason why you flat mate put on weight is that she eats too much. Ok lets do the maths here

Say she's an average woman who is suppose to eat 2000 calories a day. She then burns on average 500 calories a day which means her maintenance calories is 2500 calories a day.

Lets say she eats what she wants and ends up eatting 3000 calories a day. This means she is eating 500 calories above maintenance which means that in a week she would gain about 1lb a week.

On top of that when one exercises this can increase appetite levels (as the body wants to replace all the calories she burnt off in the gym with food) as well making one more hungry and therefore causing one to eat even more.

The only way exercise works is to watch what you eat and make sure you are not overeating. That's the only way to do it and this is how I mange to lose weight
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    She has to be running quite intensely to burn the fat, which i doubt she is, unless someone competes at a decent level and takes it seriously, you have to watch your diet if you dont want to gain weight
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisateen)
    I have to say though they do have a point. The reason why you flat mate put on weight is that she eats too much. Ok lets do the maths here
    I'm not disputing what people are saying. If anything, I think my housemate's ideas on exercise and diet are stupid.

I wanted to check other people's understanding of it!

Not once did I say I agreed with or understood my housemate's methods.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Going to university means nothing these days, a lot of student and graduates are as thick as they come. Just because I don't know much about exercise, it's no reflection whatsoever on my abilities.

There's a reason I asked this question and I also asked it from a 'psuedo' position of ignorance, but you are too thick to have even figured out that anyway. Please don't comment if you don't have anything helpful to say.

Edit: Just noticed that you are studying Biology at UCL. If the study of living organisms is your area of expertise, why expect lay people to know the things you know? Just shows your poor social skills and it's probably the reason why you spend your time on TSR instead of going out partying like other students do.
    I'm responding because I feel that you were over-the-top in your response.

Statistics:

You: 4,020 posts in 2 years 1 month (5.25 PPD)

Them: 1,194 posts in 2 years, 8 months (1.22 PPD)

PPD = Posts Per Day

All statistics correct at time of posting.

Based on the above findings, I feel you owe that person an apology.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Girl you just got owned.

Also while you are out partying like "other students do" he might be in studying, which means when he graduates, you'll be re applying.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not disputing what people are saying. If anything, I think my housemate's ideas on exercise and diet are stupid.

I wanted to check other people's understanding of it!

Not once did I say I agreed with or understood my housemate's methods.
    Oh ok fair enough.

Like your flatmate I also know someone who also has the same attitude but I refrained from saying anything as I didn't want to sound all preachy and telling her what to do. Unfortunately I noticed that she has also put on a bit of weight as well.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 19, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.