The Student Room Group

So much competition in the World!!!

Its making me scared. :eek:

I mean my alevel, I wan't to enjoy doing them, not be pressured to be the best.
I mean my career choice, become a good doctor by passion, not compete with students who want to be dr for the sake of it.:s-smilie:

Tell me about your life and how competiton has ruled the final words.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unfortunately it'll just get worse from here on.
Reply 2
i don't even have a chance trying to compete with the absolute army of supergeniuses that China and Japan produce every year. They are so disciplined and focused and it makes me just hate the british education system more:mad:
I think that without competition a lot of people would get quite lazy. Knowing that there are other people who are fully capable of taking your place is supposed to make you work even harder and do your absolute possible best. I know that I would probably half arse A Levels if the competition wasn't so incredibly fierce.
Do you know what gets me angry?

The fact that my friend worked her damn hardest throughout school and her A Levels. Got As an A*s throughout.

She joined science clubs, did charity work and got some amazing work experience.

What happened? She was declined from all 5 universities! She ended up getting in A*A*A in Biology, Chemistry and Psychology.

Im sorry but this is just wrong. Makes me really frustrated that all that hard work was for nothing. She is now studying biomedicine as opposed to the Medicine degree she worked so hard to get on too.

Where did her place go? To a student on the other side of the earth, who most likely got worse grades than her. Why? Its all about the money!
Reply 5
Original post by 3.14159
i don't even have a chance trying to compete with the absolute army of supergeniuses that China and Japan produce every year. They are so disciplined and focused and it makes me just hate the british education system more:mad:

In the words of Scroobius Pip - "The system may fail you, but don't fail yourself'.

Don't blame the education system, you can be just as focused as anyone else if you choose to be!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by slacker07906
Do you know what gets me angry?

The fact that my friend worked her damn hardest throughout school and her A Levels. Got As an A*s throughout.

She joined science clubs, did charity work and got some amazing work experience.

What happened? She was declined from all 5 universities! She ended up getting in A*A*A in Biology, Chemistry and Psychology.

Im sorry but this is just wrong. Makes me really frustrated that all that hard work was for nothing. She is now studying biomedicine as opposed to the Medicine degree she worked so hard to get on too.

Where did her place go? To a student on the other side of the earth, who most likely got worse grades than her. Why? Its all about the money!

For all you know that person on the other side of the earth may have even had better grades without any of the luxuries your friend may have had.
I'd rather have a superior foreign doctor then an average British doctor. Life is more important then your nationality!
Original post by llys
Unfortunately it'll just get worse from here on.

I disagree.
Original post by Azland
For all you know that person on the other side of the earth may have even had better grades without any of the luxuries your friend may have had.

I doubt every single student from outside the UK who got accepted, achieved better than A*A*A. If you think that, you are clearly mental lol!
Original post by 3.14159

Yeah, but they all probably hate life and are ultra-introverted.
Reply 11
I doubt every single student from outside the UK who got accepted, achieved better than A*A*A. If you think that, you are clearly mental lol!

Most outside the UK dont take A Levels so I dont really know how to respond to your theory. They would however most likely be at the top of their respective education systems which will most likely not be under grade inflation etc like the british system. Not to mention the fact that they dont have modules and learn the entire subject before giving an exam. I could go on and on but I hope you understand. My point is its childish and quite frankly a bit racist to think that people outside the UK are not as smart or may even be smarter then your friend.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Azland
Most outside the UK dont take A Levels so I dont really know how to respond to your theory. They would however most likely be at the top of their respective education systems which will most likely not be under grade inflation etc like the british system. My point is its childish and quite frankly a bit racist to think that people outside the UK are not as smart or may even be smarter then your friend.

What has race got to do with it?

I just think priority should be given to British students who have been taught using the British Education system. British meaning Asian, white, black, brown, pink. Race is not an issue.

That was a ridiculous thing to say. I think you're being a bit sensitive!
Original post by Azland
Most outside the UK dont take A Levels so I dont really know how to respond to your theory. They would however most likely be at the top of their respective education systems which will most likely not be under grade inflation etc like the british system. My point is its childish and quite frankly a bit racist to think that people outside the UK are not as smart or may even be smarter then your friend.

By the way, this mate I am reffering to is muslim. Please don't accuse me of racism.
Reply 14
What has race got to do with it?

I just think priority should be given to British students who have been taught using the British Education system. British meaning Asian, white, black, brown, pink. Race is not an issue.

That was a ridiculous thing to say. I think you're being a bit sensitive!

In that case I doubt you have anything to complain about at all since quite alot of overseas students do apply with International A Levels. So you would be fine if a place went to a person learning CIE from China over your friend whos learning say OCR in the UK? Anyway for what it's worth they do get quite alot of priority. Oxford and Cambridge stats show that usually only 15% of the places go to overseas applicants.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
There is a government-imposed quota on maximum places for international students for Medicine. As a consequence, international students are not directly competing with home/EU students for places.
Original post by Azland
In that case I doubt you have anything to complain about at all since quite alot of overseas students do apply with International A Levels. So you would be fine if a place went to a person learning CIE from China over your friend whos learning say OCR in the UK? Anyway for what it's worth they do get quite alot of priority. Oxford and Cambridge stats show that usually only 15% of the places go to overseas applicants.

No apology?

Lol. I am done with this conversation as you seem to stuggle understanding my point.
Reply 17
No apology?

Lol. I am done with this conversation as you seem to stuggle understanding my point.

Apparently. Though It seems the universities dont understand it either. Oh well, agree to disagree then.
(edited 11 years ago)
If you were to change the system: What would you change?:rolleyes:
1 word

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest