Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice on Self Teaching a Unit

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone :wavey:
    So I'm in year 11, and I'm going to be taking the C7 Exam in GCSE OCR Chemistry in a few weeks time. My problem is that my science teacher does not actually finish teaching us the material until THE DAY BEFORE THE EXAM!! :eek:
    EPIC FAIL
    Therefore,if I am going to have any chance of actually gaining a good grade I must learn it myself beforehand...BUT I need some help..

Does anyone have any tips on how to go about self teaching subjects?? Or how to tackle the Chemistry Module, as it looks a little tricky to understand.

It would be much appreciated

Thank You in Advance!:ta:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Google the name of the exam, and download the specification for the unit. This will tell you everything you need to know. Then google it again to find revision sites.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie123456789)
    So I'm in year 11, and I'm going to be taking the C7 Exam in GCSE OCR Chemistry in a few weeks time. My problem is that my science teacher does not actually finish teaching us the material until THE DAY BEFORE THE EXAM!! :eek:
    EPIC FAIL
    Therefore,if I am going to have any chance of actually gaining a good grade I must learn it myself beforehand...BUT I need some help..

Does anyone have any tips on how to go about self teaching subjects?? Or how to tackle the Chemistry Module, as it looks a little tricky to understand.

For the A*/A Grades:

1) Buy a revision guide (CGP Are the best @ GCSE Level) Heres a direct link one: http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/pages/prod...asp?book=C2R42

2) Do past papers for it, theres a couple on OCR's site

3) Learn the idea's and context thoroughly, guess on what questions might come up and do them ( each year is very similar)

4) Learn exam technique, check out the specification and be familiar with the mark scheme.

5) really? module C7 is easy.
    Source: Me, im doing this exam aswell.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Everyone...and yeah i think I will go to Waterstones on the weekend and have a look at those CGP Books.

I suppose I'm so worried about this module because of the limited time, and the fact that my current text book is very confusing.
    I'm also a SLOOOOW learner lol

Thanks Again
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    EPIC FAIL

Are you doing Gateway or Twenty First Century Science?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopG)
    Are you doing Gateway or Twenty First Century Science?
    Twenty First Century Science
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Twenty First Century Science
    Same as me, at school, we're still on C2, but I've had a quick glance in textbook on C7, making flashcards on keywords really helped when we did a C1 practise test. The Chemistry Workbook (ISBN 9780199138418) is really helpful.

Hope this helps.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This mock exam paper, might help as well.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: pdf ocr_41334_sam_gcse_unit_a17302_h.pdf (538.4 KB, 27 views)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopG)
    theres official past papers u know? liek the other years (2011,2010...)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopG)
    Thank You So Much!! I've found past papers, but not this one before. I'm sure it will be of great help to me
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeathByBSOD)
    theres official past papers u know? liek the other years (2011,2010...)
    There is but I think since the beginning of this year OCR have started to do papers differently, so a mok paper from the new Sprcification will be better, unless I misunderstood my Biology teacher
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thank You So Much!! I've found past papers, but not this one before. I'm sure it will be of great help to me
    Happy to help

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.