Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Model House of Lords Establishment Committee

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, let's have another one. That'll add an exciting element of bureaucracy.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    NOTE: toronto cannot take part on the committee for personal reasons, and has asked for his place to be taken by Matthew.

Matthew will now serve on both topic 2 and 3.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    My concern with having a fully elected second chamber would be that it completely replicates the HOC. That said, even an unelected or part-elected second chamber will be difficult to compose.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lipvig)
    I don't think most people wish to see a thread where you discuss adult nappies...
    What a shame. I was going to post pictures of my colostomy bag too
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lipvig)
    NOTE: toronto cannot take part on the committee for personal reasons, and has asked for his place to be taken by Matthew.

Matthew will now serve on both topic 2 and 3.
    To clarify this is because I want to spend time getting the EU Bloc off the ground and so I need to concentrate on that so that we can begin negotiating powers back.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have contacted the Chair about this.

A Lib Dem Member is returning and would like to sit on this committee.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    The important thing here with the creation of a second chamber is fostering a unique identity for it. As Birchington said a simple creation of a chamber with the same powers we have now is relatively pointless.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not on the committee but do have an idea..

Perhaps we could have an elected chamber but rather than the party list system we have for the HOC, elect individuals and have a requirement that they must have served a full term as an MP (assuming this HOL to be much smaller than the HOC).

Naturally ex Prime Ministers should be automatically appointed.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)

Perhaps we could have an elected chamber but rather than the party list system we have for the HOC, elect individuals and have a requirement that they must have served a full term as an MP (assuming this HOL to be much smaller than the HOC).

I don't agree with ex pm's being automatically inducted partly because of the high turnover of PM's we get. They should have to earn it like the rest
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's been around 10-15 PMs if I remember rightly, so that means that unless we have a 20 chamber then its going to be made up nearly exclusive of ex PMs.

Rakas is serving the 19th term of any prime minister.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)

I cannot tell if your serious or not about that last part.
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was joking about the Prime Minister part.

As an aside though, there are only 6 of us still around by my count.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I make it Matthew Lowson (UKIP, but was a Lib PM), Indievertigo (Lab, but was a Con PM), Davidmarsh01 (Lab) and yourself.

(incidentally, what on earth is it with Prime Ministers and defections?)
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    If an SNP ever forms there may well be another.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopHat)
    I make it Eru Iluvatar (Lab, but was a Lib PM), Thunder and Jazz (Lib), Matthew Lowson (UKIP, but was a Lib PM), Indievertigo (Lab, but was a Con PM), Davidmarsh01 (Lab) and yourself.

(incidentally, what on earth is it with Prime Ministers and defections?)
    You've missed Paddy and he'll be pissed now. Paddy was UKIP and then Labour.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    He's not an MP though. As far as I know, everyone I listed is. There's a fair few PMs still active on the forums who are not currently MPs.

EDIT: That said, Eru is not an MP at the moment, so I did make a mistake there.

EDIT2: And nor is Thunder and Jazz. Damnable active oldies, confusing me!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    He's not an MP though. As far as I know, everyone I listed is. There's a fair few PMs still active on the forums who are not currently MPs.

EDIT: That said, Eru is not an MP at the moment, so I did make a mistake there.
    Oh I see, sorry I didn't realise that was your criteria there! My bad.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi)
    Oh I see, sorry I didn't realise that was your criteria there! My bad.
    I was just trying to use that to filter out people like L i b, who aren't particularly active in this section any more.

On an unrelated note, I think we'll have a bill you'll quite like coming either tonight or tomorrow. I could be quite wrong of course, and you'll resume your usual vehemence, but I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was just trying to use that to filter out people like L i b, who aren't particularly active in this section any more.

On an unrelated note, I think we'll have a bill you'll quite like coming either tonight or tomorrow. I could be quite wrong of course, and you'll resume your usual vehemence, but I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    Hey, I'm the HoC's Lavrenti Beria. My role is to ensure that Labour does what it is supposed to - serve ordinary people to the best of their abilities! If you think my vehemence is bad; my nice side is rather better
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, we're clearly getting nowhere as to who should get life peerage's, so here's my offer:

PM's who have served two full terms in the role and are no longer MP's.
    Ex-Speakers who have served 2 full terms and are no longer MP's.

This must lower the number of people eligable, right?

Also,
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    QFA
    (Original post by Moleman1996)
    QFA
    (Original post by Birchington)
    QFA
    QFA
    (Original post by xXedixXx)
    QFA
    (Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
    QFA
    We all need to decide whether we allow the other Lib Dem member to serve on the committee.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 28, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.