The Student Room Group

Does my car have a aux ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Rescue Remedy
i wont get to feel around :s-smilie: amazon uk wont ship those products to the republic of ireland :frown: the amount of vat they would have charged me anyway wasnt worth it and customs over here :eek: just aswell i guess :colondollar: i will just save up and go to a garage near here and get them to do it might take a while though :rolleyes:

thanks for the advice anyway :biggrin:

i might just stick to cd's either for a bit there is no rush ...

Do you honestly not have an Irish Amazon? That's insane. I couldn't live without Amazon. Ok. Radio keys are easy, most motorfactors should shell them. The 3.5mm-3.5mm adapter you can get anywhere too. The only difficult bit is the plug that goes into the back of the radio. Do you not have an Irish eBay either? You should be able to get something along those lines on there too. If not, then get Googling, there will be Irish websites that sell bits and pieces for cars so it shouldn't be too hard to get hold of the bits. A mechanic will charge you an arm and a leg for such a simple job.
My AUX socket is under the dashboard/near the handbreak, try looking there? It's not always in a nicely visible place! (I have a corsa)
Reply 22
Original post by Nuffles
That is very much down to personal taste. I've listened to stuff through FM transmitters and the quality is awful compared to an AUX lead, which itself isn't as good as straight off the CD. The link I posted was to something for less than twelve quid - which would buy you a really ****ty FM transmitter. You're talking about fifty quid for one which might even resemble good quality, but even then that's entirely dependant on the level of radio traffic in the area. Plugging the wire I linked to into the back of the radio will cost the OP less for marginally more time and effort.

Honestly, it sounds fine. You'd be hard pushed to tell some of the tracks weren't from a cd. Works best with batteries though.

I use it with a Cowon iAudio 7 and have a mixture of 320kbps, vbr and flac files. The worst sounding are usually from older mp3's.
As you say, it also depends on the level of interference in the local area, I must have lucked out because I don't get any. My car is naturally noisy, being a soft top, so i'm not being an audiophile here, and I doubt the OP cares either.

Of course a wired solution will always be better, sound wise and because aux cables cost a couple quid. But it sounds as if the OP is after a quick solution they can do themselves. For someone who isn't technically minded, trying to get a set of radio keys, removing the stereo, unplugging, finding the aux (which may or may not be there!) routing an aux cable, replacing everything back in position... it's a lot of work for a newbie.

For £13 off Amazon, i'd say the Jivo fm transmitter is easily worth a punt.
Reply 23
Original post by her0n
Honestly, it sounds fine. You'd be hard pushed to tell some of the tracks weren't from a cd. Works best with batteries though.

I use it with a Cowon iAudio 7 and have a mixture of 320kbps, vbr and flac files. The worst sounding are usually from older mp3's.
As you say, it also depends on the level of interference in the local area, I must have lucked out because I don't get any. My car is naturally noisy, being a soft top, so i'm not being an audiophile here, and I doubt the OP cares either.

Of course a wired solution will always be better, sound wise and because aux cables cost a couple quid. But it sounds as if the OP is after a quick solution they can do themselves. For someone who isn't technically minded, trying to get a set of radio keys, removing the stereo, unplugging, finding the aux (which may or may not be there!) routing an aux cable, replacing everything back in position... it's a lot of work for a newbie.

For £13 off Amazon, i'd say the Jivo fm transmitter is easily worth a punt.

Honestly, pulling a head unit from the dash is one of most simple tasks you can do on a car. The plug for the cable is there, because it was an optional upgrade for cars with that model of stereo, and Ford simply charged you a hundred odd quid for a wire behind the dashboard. Routing the wiring is easy too. It's hardly rebuilding the engine. Like I said, if you've removed a head unit before it can be done in under half an hour, if not then possibly more like 45 minutes. I've made a head unit wiring loom from scratch in one of my cars, and heavily modified the loom in another, and taken the same head unit with me in all three of my cars because it's a bloody good one that I got half price and I love it to bits. With a bit of patience and logic then car wiring really isn't that hard, you just need to stop and think about it for a moment. Plugging a wire into the back of the head unit is child's play.

I would never classify myself as an audiophile, but I do have decent speakers here at uni and as such I'm relatively spoilt when it comes to sound quality. My Golf has two ok quality 4in speakers in the dashboard and a well balanced 60W sub in the boot (all installed by me) and I still hate how it has no mid-range definition. Ideally I need some good quality 6in mids in the front doors and a small amp to power them but my car stays at home while I'm at uni and it's not worth spending the money on it when I drive it this little. All I know about car audio is self taught by playing with things on the drive and a little time on Google.

The experience I have with FM transmitters has led me to believe that they aren't worth spending money on, when there's often a cheap and relatively simple higher-quality solution, albeit not so plug and play.
Reply 24
My dad's is in the armrest storage compartment. It pulls out a little and is hard to find.
Reply 25
Original post by Nuffles
Honestly, pulling a head unit from the dash is one of most simple tasks you can do on a car. The plug for the cable is there, because it was an optional upgrade for cars with that model of stereo, and Ford simply charged you a hundred odd quid for a wire behind the dashboard. Routing the wiring is easy too. It's hardly rebuilding the engine. Like I said, if you've removed a head unit before it can be done in under half an hour, if not then possibly more like 45 minutes. I've made a head unit wiring loom from scratch in one of my cars, and heavily modified the loom in another, and taken the same head unit with me in all three of my cars because it's a bloody good one that I got half price and I love it to bits. With a bit of patience and logic then car wiring really isn't that hard, you just need to stop and think about it for a moment. Plugging a wire into the back of the head unit is child's play.

*more words*

The experience I have with FM transmitters has led me to believe that they aren't worth spending money on, when there's often a cheap and relatively simple higher-quality solution, albeit not so plug and play.

I do understand what you're saying, but you know what you're doing. And before you learnt what to do, you probably didn't mind having a play around with the wires, and weren't scared of the potential consquences (i.e. everything breaking).

Being female I understand that some girls are scared to/won't want to poke around with their car, unless someone else is there to save the day when it all goes wrong!

It's the fear of doing something wrong that puts many people off. It's all very well to say it's easy, but if you don't know what you're looking for, don't understand the loom colours etc, it's somewhat challenging.
Reply 26
Original post by her0n
I do understand what you're saying, but you know what you're doing. And before you learnt what to do, you probably didn't mind having a play around with the wires, and weren't scared of the potential consquences (i.e. everything breaking).

Being female I understand that some girls are scared to/won't want to poke around with their car, unless someone else is there to save the day when it all goes wrong!

It's the fear of doing something wrong that puts many people off. It's all very well to say it's easy, but if you don't know what you're looking for, don't understand the loom colours etc, it's somewhat challenging.

That's the thing though, it's so easy to learn. There are only 12 or so wires in a head unit loom, and it's very easy to find wiring diagrams as to what each of those does, in plain English. If you don't understand what one does, again with a bit of Googling you can come up with the answer.

It's not about boy/girl - to be honest girls should be better at car electricals compared to men if you take the whole girls will sit down and think about it vs men taking a hammer to it stereotype. I hate it when girls say, "I can't work on my car because I'm a girl" - there's absolutely nothing stopping you from picking up a Haynes manual or doing some research online and teaching yourself how to do it. I will respect a girl - or anybody - a hell of a lot more if she goes out there and does it herself rather than waiting for/paying a man to do it for her.
Reply 27
Yeah I honestly get that, but some really aren't interested. Trust me on this one.
If its anything like my clio the aux will be in the back of the stereo. I bought some keys to remove the stereo and a block adaptor which fitted the port and had a headphone jack on the end of it. Threaded it through a hole in the glovebox. Fairly simple.

PS i bought an FM transmitter 1st and it was useless, always distorted. I would advise against them.
You should be able to pick up the stereo keys and a cable for around a fiver.

Google your stereo and aux theres a site somewhere detailing how you fit it.
well i cant hook my ipod up yet in time maybe .. but i know how to change a tyre and take care of my car :biggrin: .. thats good enough for me!

ive fallen in love with my cd's all over again so different to the ipod. i cant lock my glove compartment anyway so in case the worst happens id rather a few cd's being stolen then my ipod classic
Reply 30
hi i have a ford ka 02 reg it has no cd player but a radio and a ciggerette lighter plug thing. How can i play music from my Ipod to my car???????????
Reply 31
This is common with Ford. My headunit also has an AUX button but there's no socket in the glovebox. Apparently the wiring is all there in the back and if you are handy enough to take the headunit out and look behind you can wire it through from behind. I however, would probably end up breaking something.

Bizzare cost cutting techniques from Ford. Same story with footwell lights, most of the cars actually have the brackets and are wired up, just no bulbs!
Reply 32
Original post by The Stig
This is common with Ford. My headunit also has an AUX button but there's no socket in the glovebox. Apparently the wiring is all there in the back and if you are handy enough to take the headunit out and look behind you can wire it through from behind. I however, would probably end up breaking something.

Bizzare cost cutting techniques from Ford. Same story with footwell lights, most of the cars actually have the brackets and are wired up, just no bulbs!

It's not cost cutting techniques, simply leaving them ways to easily upgrade you to a higher spec car, costing them pennies, but costing you hundreds - "You'd like an Aux lead with your new Fiesta? Oi Mark, get that Aux lead run through for the lady would ya? That'll be £200 please."

It saves them money, but if you're savvy, it saves you a hell of a lot of money too if you're not simply dumb enough to take it back to them.
Reply 33
Original post by katepop
hi i have a ford ka 02 reg it has no cd player but a radio and a ciggerette lighter plug thing. How can i play music from my Ipod to my car???????????

You can buy a very simple adapter for around £10. I've seen them at telco/sainsburys/halfords or you can buy cheaper online. It's basically looks like a plastic tape with a wire on it that goes into your ipod.

Something like this will work fine. I've been using it for the past couple of years. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_170749_langId_-1_categoryId_254706

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending