Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

HELP URGENT! University Choice!!!!!!

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I hold offers to study law at five different universities and was hoping You guys could help me choose from those.

University of Exeter

University of Newcastle upon Tyne

University Edinburgh

Lancaster University

Queen Mary University of London

Thank You in advance for Your time and help!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle all the way. Great University and town
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dwightmight)
    Hello, I hold offers to study law at five different universities and was hoping You guys could help me choose from those.

University of Exeter

University Edinburgh

Lancaster University

I would have thought Edinburgh would be the best University on the list but if you intend to practice in England it's a bit of a circuitous route.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    edinburgh and lancaster
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:

University of Exeter

University Edinburgh

Lancaster University

EXETER all the way. Good course, good reputation, great campus university,warmer down in the South West.

Newcastle for a city university.
    Edinburgh if you want to practice in Scotland.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you want to practise in Scotland, Edinburgh.

If you want to practise in England, I would say for most people, Exeter.

Personally, I rate Edinburgh higher than Exeter, and would choose to study there even if I wanted to practise in England. Simply because I would be prepared to sacrifice two years and the cost of the GDL for the 'all round' reputation of Edinburgh.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:

University of Exeter

University Edinburgh

Lancaster University

Do you want to practice in Scotland? If yes Edinburgh. If no, not Edinburgh. This assumes that the reason you're posting this means you don't have a burning desire to go there, in that case it might be worth it as you can still get sponsored for the GDL.

Do you like the thought of a big clubbing scene and some incredible nights out? If so Newcastle stands out. If you're not into that doesn't matter so much.

Would you be happy living in London and all the expense and slightly different student experience (no defined student area in your second and third years for example) that entails. But it also brings a buzz and stuff going on that other cities just can't match. Also do you think QMUL is worth the extra risk of the A*?

Exeter and Lancaster probably pretty similar in terms of being campus unis which are nice and green etc near to fairly small cities. Is one much nearer to home for you and if so does it matter that it is? Also Exeter's, in my opinion, got the better rep of the 2.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:

University of Exeter

University Edinburgh

Lancaster University

If you want to practise in England or Wales, I'd opt for Newcastle or Exeter.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Exeter...

But why is it so "urgent"? The deadline's a while off..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to decide this for yourself!
    Narrow it down by campuses you liked (if you visited), busuries they may have, accommodation, reputation, league tables etc etc etc...
    Good luck!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not many people are going for queen mary, but queen mary is a good shout as they are now a russell group university. therefore give queen mary a good think
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    Do you want to practice in Scotland? If yes Edinburgh. If no, not Edinburgh. This assumes that the reason you're posting this means you don't have a burning desire to go there, in that case it might be worth it as you can still get sponsored for the GDL.

Do you like the thought of a big clubbing scene and some incredible nights out? If so Newcastle stands out. If you're not into that doesn't matter so much.

Would you be happy living in London and all the expense and slightly different student experience (no defined student area in your second and third years for example) that entails. But it also brings a buzz and stuff going on that other cities just can't match. Also do you think QMUL is worth the extra risk of the A*?

Exeter and Lancaster probably pretty similar in terms of being campus unis which are nice and green etc near to fairly small cities. Is one much nearer to home for you and if so does it matter that it is? Also Exeter's, in my opinion, got the better rep of the 2.

What do you mean is QMUL worth the extra risk of the A* ??
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean is QMUL worth the extra risk of the A* ??
    As in QMUL's offer is A*AA isn't it? According to this anyway http://www.law.qmul.ac.uk/undergradu...100/index.html

So, just that it's a harder offer and thus there is a greater risk you could miss that offer, compared to (I think) AAA or lower at the others. If you've got a subject you're pretty much guaranteed an A* in then it's not a problem.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    As in QMUL's offer is A*AA isn't it? According to this anyway http://www.law.qmul.ac.uk/undergradu...100/index.html

So, just that it's a harder offer and thus there is a greater risk you could miss that offer, compared to (I think) AAA or lower at the others. If you've got a subject you're pretty much guaranteed an A* in then it's not a problem.
    No, missing an offer is not an option because these offers are all unconditional due to the fact that I already hold my qualifications (IB diploma that is). So You think QMUL would be a good choice?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 17, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.