Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cardio-Resistance Ratio for Girls!

Announcements Posted on
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm sure this discussion has been done to death but I can't find a specific thread for it.

What ratio of cardio:resistance would you reccommend for girls?

Personally, I'm trying to up my general health and fitness, and lose a bit of body fat/get a more toned looking body. I've joined a gym recently and try to go for about an hour 3 times a week. How much of that hour should be resistance?

My strength is above average for a girl - my arms are quite big and although it is mainly muscle you can only see this when I tense, otherwise they just look quite fatty. What should I do to make this look better? I don't want them to get any bigger, just to look leaner.

Thanks for reading!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Florence321)
    Hi, I'm sure this discussion has been done to death but I can't find a specific thread for it.

What ratio of cardio:resistance would you reccommend for girls?

Personally, I'm trying to up my general health and fitness, and lose a bit of body fat/get a more toned looking body. I've joined a gym recently and try to go for about an hour 3 times a week. How much of that hour should be resistance?

My strength is above average for a girl - my arms are quite big and although it is mainly muscle you can only see this when I tense, otherwise they just look quite fatty. What should I do to make this look better? I don't want them to get any bigger, just to look leaner.

Thanks for reading!
    or perhaps they're just fat?

as for the ratio - 15 minutes of cardio and 45 minutes of weights? who knows. quality > quantity. diet is crucial too. in fact, you can lose the fat just through diet alone. do free weights by the way. approx. 8-12 reps for hypertrophy, approx. 3-5 reps for strength. lots of info in the sticky threads or on bodybuilding.com. have you read those before starting this thread?

i suspect you won't listen to any advice here and do 90% cardio and 10% weights machines with little baby weights for millions of reps.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Spend your 3 hours at the gym on free weights then run or cycle outside for an hour on three of your off days. Take one day for a total rest day.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    or perhaps they're just fat?

as for the ratio - 15 minutes of cardio and 45 minutes of weights? who knows. quality > quantity. diet is crucial too. in fact, you can lose the fat just through diet alone. do free weights by the way. approx. 8-12 reps for hypertrophy, approx. 3-5 reps for strength. lots of info in the sticky threads or on bodybuilding.com. have you read those before starting this thread?

i suspect you won't listen to any advice here and do 90% cardio and 10% weights machines with little baby weights for millions of reps.
    Nope, they're not "just fat".

And why would I make a thread and then ignore it?

Otherwise ok I will focus on weights thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope, they're not "just fat".

And why would I make a thread and then ignore it?

Otherwise ok I will focus on weights thanks.
    Isnt that just muscle with a lyer of fat over it? If you eat a diet that inhibits muscle growth, you wont grow, but you can still get stronger and burn fat with weight training.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desijut)
    Isnt that just muscle with a lyer of fat over it? If you eat a diet that inhibits muscle growth, you wont grow, but you can still get stronger and burn fat with weight training.
    Ah ok, thank you!
    What kind of diet is that? Just a kind of average one with no focus on lots of protein?
    Thanks, that sounds good, I had been worried that my arms would just get bigger rather than more toned in appearance but I will keep going and try to burn the fat off
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok, thank you!
    What kind of diet is that? Just a kind of average one with no focus on lots of protein?
    Thanks, that sounds good, I had been worried that my arms would just get bigger rather than more toned in appearance but I will keep going and try to burn the fat off
    Read the sticky at the top of the page with green writing that says "For the Girls - Toning, Diet and Excercise a very basic guide - Please read!!"
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desijut)
    Read the sticky at the top of the page with green writing that says "For the Girls - Toning, Diet and Excercise a very basic guide - Please read!!"
    Ok sorry I know it's really annoying when people ask the same questions over and over again and don't read any of the previous threads

I did have a look at it a while ago but I will look again now that I have more of a focus Thanks!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 17, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.