The Student Room Group

flappy paddle gearbox

these are in supercars and i just had a random thought

how do they work. I kow you gottaflick the right one to shift up and left to shift down, but do you sorta press the clutch first and then shift then release clutch? Do you maybe take ur foot off the accelerator, flap the thingy, and then press on? I dunno and it was a random thought as i was watching Top Gear.

Please let me no if u no.
Cheerz:smile: :p:
Not only supercars anymore. They have an auto clutch which is worked by a computer, can be used in fully auto mode or just by using the paddles, when you flip it up it changes gear using a robotic mode in the same way as you would have used the manual clutch.
Reply 2
well, in most applications the buttons/paddles are connected to a normal manual gearbox with cogs and ratios not a torque converter like an automatic.

The button/paddle is like a button that cuts the throttle, disengages the clutch, changes gear, then reengages the clutch and throttle once the gear is selected. It is all an automated process and happens in a tenth of a second.

When i drove a Ferrari 360 with this paddle shift it was a strange experience, as you keep your foot planted on the throttle (or brake if downshifting for a corner) whilst changing gear, just as if you were playing Gran Turismo with a steering wheel or similar. The Ferrari 360 has a computer module that actually 'blipped' the throttle on down changes to provide smoother and quicker shifts.

This method of transmission is linked with throttles that are connected with fly-by-wire to the engine, rather than the conventional throttle cable used in most 'ordinary' cars.
Reply 3
You DROVE a 360!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gotta be kiddin me
Reply 4
I know the Alfa 156's and the 147's have it. But they also have a stubby stick that you just pull back/push away to change up or down
Reply 5
the citroen c2 vtr has them..as does the honda jazz auto.

regards
--marty
Reply 6
Lol - Citreon C2 even has them as stated above! Although it really doesn't work (apparently).

Up-shift and down-shift by clicking up or clicking down :biggrin: Its that simple.
Reply 7
ZanyZanny
You DROVE a 360!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gotta be kiddin me

went on track day type thing for my birthday last year where you drove different cars. I drove an Impreza STI, Lotus Exige, Porsche (996) 911 C4S, Ferrari 360 and Lambo Gallardo. Was a great experience, thoroughly recommended!
Reply 8
Red Dragon
went on track day type thing for my birthday last year where you drove different cars. I drove an Impreza STI, Lotus Exige, Porsche (996) 911 C4S, Ferrari 360 and Lambo Gallardo. Was a great experience, thoroughly recommended!

sounds great but seeing as i currently cannot even drive it will have to wait for a while very jelaous by the way. how much did tht cost and where for my future reference?
Reply 9
What are flappy paddles actually called because ever since Top Gear called them that that is all I have called them.
Reply 10
rewmck
What are flappy paddles actually called because ever since Top Gear called them that that is all I have called them.

i thought flappy paddle was there name
Paddle shift transmittion I think.
jaird.88
Paddle shift transmittion I think.

There are so many different names for it by different manufacturers like Ferrari call it the F1 Gearbox (that was in the 355, and stuck an F1 on the back of the car), BMW call it a SMG (Semi-Manual Gearbox), lots of manufacturers call it "semi auto gearbox". And don't cars have the double clutch system, where the gear its going to change to is already spinning.

Latest

Trending

Trending