Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

supporting england at the euros

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    anyone finding it hard to get excited about england at the euros? it's just non stop disappointment with them. i'll be following spain this year as i have previous tournaments. better football and a philosophy you can respect. my friends give me an awful hard time over this, especially when i wear the shirt on match day. anyone else in the same boat?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I will half heartily by supporting England, more excited about seeing other teams tbh.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'm just fed up with the heartache tbh. spain are such a beautiful team, with players that you can respect. i wear a spanish jersey with pride now. threw out my england shirt a few years ago.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand how one can actually support different national teams in different tournaments - looks too much like glory hunting and flagrant disloyalty.

That said, despite being English, I don't follow the English national team. I don't see any reason to support a national team; the days when the England team represented the common man are long gone. Besides, I don't buy into 'national pride' myself; I haven't contributed to the state of England, have no part in its history and very little part in its future.

I'll watch the Euros for the entertainment value of some fantastic football, but I won't claim personal responsibility for the success of any team.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Of course I'll be supporting England in the Euro's, but I wont be to disappointed if we play badly/get knocked out, as I'm used to the failure and underachieving by now (as most England fans probably are).

But I'll be watching the Euro's to see some good football from some great teams. Can't wait to see Germany play again!

If England isn't there, I'll be hoping to see a Germany vs. Spain Final.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyGreenAtheist)
    I don't really understand how one can actually support different national teams in different tournaments - looks too much like glory hunting and flagrant disloyalty.
    i see nothing wrong with following a team that play beautiful football tbh. i'm not being disloyal to anyone mate, i'm just changing my loyalty to a team i respect. they're also more likely to win so you can enjoy the tournament more. anyone who doesn't think they play beautiful football doesn't know much about the sport.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    anyway, my great grandfather worked in spain so i have more claim to their national identity than most i suppose.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Supporting Spain over England because they are a better team is the equivelent of supporting Manchester United because your home town aren't top of the league. It's shameless glory hunting. I'll be supporting England as usual because I am English.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StillIll)
    Supporting Spain over England because they are a better team is the equivelent of supporting Manchester United because your home town aren't top of the league. It's shameless glory hunting. I'll be supporting England as usual because I am English.
    how do you figure that? how many players from manchester on the united team??

and you could argue that supporting england when they are terrible is only giving them validation for the way the way they play. they could learn a few things from the spanish set up.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll be half heartedly following them, at the moment I couldn't care less about it though tbh. If they make it to the knock outs then I'll probably take a bit more of an interest.

I'd much rather that Newcastle won the FA/League Cup than England won the Euro's though, not that either is likely to happen. :moon:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by west ham athletico)
    how do you figure that? how many players from manchester on the united team??

and you could argue that supporting england when they are terrible is only giving them validation for the way the way they play. they could learn a few things from the spanish set up.
    What does that matter? If the players aren't good enough to compete with Spain, then they aren't good enough. So what?

I support my local team (which isn't Manchester United btw) because they represent my town. I follow England because they represent my country.

I do support club over country but I'd never support another team.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What does that matter? If the players aren't good enough to compete with Spain, then they aren't good enough. So what?

I support my local team (which isn't Manchester United btw) because they represent my town. I follow England because they represent my country.

I do support club over country but I'd never support another team.
    if you're happy to support a team that play with no pride and passion who don't care about their country then that's your choice mate. i know about football though and i know beautiful football and i feel proud to support spain.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I'm not overly enthusiastic, but I know by the time the euros begin I'll be swept up by the hype and expect us to win it..until we don't qualify from teh group and another tournament ends in disappointment
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone but England!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll be supporting England. Whilst I respect many of the other teams in the tournament and look forward to see them, I couldn't support them. If Spain win there's no pleasure in it for me, whether I support them or not, I won't be in Spain celebrating with everyone, in years to come I won't be able to say "My teams won the Euros back in 2012" because whether you're wanting them to win or not, it's just not the way it works.

If England do win the Euros this summer then, I trust you won't be joining in the celebrations? we'll all go out partying and you can sit at home feeling the way England fans do every other summer! (although I don't see how it'd be possible for you to conjure up any sort of emotion, or even care in the slightest if Spain don't win)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by west ham athletico)
    if you're happy to support a team that play with no pride and passion who don't care about their country then that's your choice mate. i know about football though and i know beautiful football and i feel proud to support spain.
    That's fair enough. You want to go for glory you do it.

All I'm saying is, I don't care about Spain, I'm not Spanish, I don't care if they play with pride, skill or whatever for the country, it's not my country.

In the same way, I'm not from Manchester so I could't care less if they win everything or play with enormous pride for the badge. I just want to see my team, and my country play and I want them to do well etc.

However, if everyone thought like me, there wouldn't be so many Manchester United fans everywhere that isn't Manchester. Support Spain if you want, I'll be supporting England.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You are juan big idiot.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    If England do win the Euros this summer then, I trust you won't be joining in the celebrations? we'll all go out partying and you can sit at home feeling the way England fans do every other summer! (although I don't see how it'd be possible for you to conjure up any sort of emotion, or even care in the slightest if Spain don't win)
    well i've been following spain for a few years now, ever since they won the last euros so i'll be fairly gutted if they lose. and as i said before, my great grandfather worked in spain so i have that connection. but they'll only lose by coming up against inferior teams playing negative football.

no point in answering the hypothetical question about england winning as they 100% won't.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's fair enough. You want to go for glory you do it.

All I'm saying is, I don't care about Spain, I'm not Spanish, I don't care if they play with pride, skill or whatever for the country, it's not my country.

In the same way, I'm not from Manchester so I could't care less if they win everything or play with enormous pride for the badge. I just want to see my team, and my country play and I want them to do well etc.

However, if everyone thought like me, there wouldn't be so many Manchester United fans everywhere that isn't Manchester. Support Spain if you want, I'll be supporting England.
    borders are only imaginary things anway, you can support whoever you like mate. spain play such beautiful football, everyone should be getting behind them, to show the world we love the beautiful way of playing football.

players like terry would make you ashamed to be english tbh.
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    Support whatever team you want however, just don't piss us England fans off when we get knocked out.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.