Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

supporting england at the euros

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alofleicester)
    And Nigeria do? (aside from lying about players ages).
    touche I'll give you that one, Nigeria would probably destroy Scotland anyway
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    lot of bitterness from lads here who want to follow spain but are afraid of what their peers will say.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by west ham athletico)
    lot of bitterness from lads here who want to follow spain but are afraid of what their peers will say.
    No, just don't want to be a dick. I liked Spain because Liverpool had Alonso, Reina, Torres (And Arbeloa etc) and was considering getting a shirt before the last world cup, but I wouldn't do it now. Only if I had a player like that on the shirt. But I'd support my country first and foremost. Follow those teams, sure, wear the shirts, but support your own country. What I do anyway.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I don't overly care for the international game but this always amuses me from certain Scots (the Welsh don't seem to do this). Why do you view yourselves in reflection of England with an Anyone But England attitude? In English club football that's seen as an inferiority complex remembering from the comments by Liverpool fans debating whether or not to deliberately lose to Chelsea to prevent Utd overtaking their record league wins. I suppose it should be expected given the Scots booed to the Lichtenstein anthem because of how similar it was to England's. If England fans did that to Germany they'd be uproar.
    Because as a Scotland fan that's all we have to look forward to, is England losing on penalties

On a serious note, it is a mixture of us being a Small country with a chip on our shoulders and the English media come tournament time, with all the talk of winning. Last world cup, before the Germany Gary Linekar, Alan Shearer and the rest were mapping out their root to the finals. Alan Shearer actually said "I look at the Germany team and can't see any players that would get into the England starting XI"!!!!

btw, I'm a Newcastle United fan (long story of how) so I don't hate the English, just their national team
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyanohydrin)
    I was semi joking to be honest. I find the whole anti england football thing a bit embarrassing in Scotland - largely because nobody in England gives a **** about not supporting Scotland. It's good as a bit of banter but to take it seriously (as some do LOL) just comes across as a bit of an inferiority complex.
    I'm a Newcastle fan. Should have added a smiley as it seems sarcasm/playful banter doesn't translate well on a computer screen
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Why do Scots have that attitude towards England btw? I've always been a fan or cheering on home teams and nations, rather than Italy for example.
    "Scots" don't have this attitude, a vocal minority do - in fact a poll done on this put support of England's opponents at 24 percent of the Scottish population, the rest support England (actually 24 percent as well) or are totally indifferent. Why do people do it? Banter and a bit of a joke, and in response to how annoying the British media can be over English football (a sentiment shared by my English non football fan friends by the way!).

(Original post by original_username)
    I love nothing more than Andy Murray losing to Nadal, Federer and Djockovic mainly because of his comments regarding England. But when it comes to football you're right, no one cares because of how hopeless Scotland are.
    Murray clarified this and said he was joking, he is a 1/4 English, lives in London and has an English girlfriend as well as flying the union flag when he wins...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    touche I'll give you that one, Nigeria would probably destroy Scotland anyway
    Nigeria would ****ing destroy Scotland! We've given Craig mckaill smith a cap...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NR09)
    Because as a Scotland fan that's all we have to look forward to, is England losing on penalties

On a serious note, it is a mixture of us being a Small country with a chip on our shoulders and the English media come tournament time, with all the talk of winning. Last world cup, before the Germany Gary Linekar, Alan Shearer and the rest were mapping out their root to the finals. Alan Shearer actually said "I look at the Germany team and can't see any players that would get into the England starting XI"!!!!

btw, I'm a Newcastle United fan (long story of how) so I don't hate the English, just their national team
    Yeah I know, the endless media **** storm with a victory for England would make me want to put my head in a blender.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm from England so I'll support England.

Maybe we'll do better now that there (should) be less expectation on our shoulders.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how you can support Spain unless you are Spanish, or have lived in Spain or have some sort of other affiliation with Spain. Supporting the best simply because they're the best, is like support Manchester Utd in the Premier League simply because they're likely to win... or City simply because they're likely to be the dominant team in the next few years. Isn't that just being a 'glory hunter'?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NR09)

Haha I am English and despise the English football team for this reason amongst others.

I passionately follow England in Cricket, Rugby, Polo..ANYTHING!!..but football.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

Murray clarified this and said he was joking, he is a 1/4 English, lives in London and has an English girlfriend as well as flying the union flag when he wins...
    His agent and PR team would have advised him well after the tongue slip.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by original_username)
    His agent and PR team would have advised him well after the tongue slip.
    Sensitive chap eh? So much for English self deprecation
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RP-MRU.)
    I don't see how you can support Spain unless you are Spanish, or have lived in Spain or have some sort of other affiliation with Spain. Supporting the best simply because they're the best, is like support Manchester Utd in the Premier League simply because they're likely to win... or City simply because they're likely to be the dominant team in the next few years. Isn't that just being a 'glory hunter'?
    *sigh*

once again, my great grandfather worked in spain. and i follow spain because of their beautiful football, winning trophies is a bonus.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sensitive chap eh? So much for English self deprecation
    Not sensitive at all, just don't like the guy, and that's one reason for it.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    *sigh*

once again, my great grandfather worked in spain. and i follow spain because of their beautiful football, winning trophies is a bonus.
    Wow, you're pretty much a full blown Spaniard man.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NR09)
    I doubt he said that considering I cannot find that quote anywhere on the Internet.

Also, it is obviously a ridiculous statement to make.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    OP, support who the **** you want. I don't know who makes up these supporters rules. you are under no obligation to support England just because you are from here.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    I doubt he said that considering I cannot find that quote anywhere on the Internet.

Also, it is obviously a ridiculous statement to make.

I got it slightly wrong, it was Hansen that said "Man for man, England should win"

And before you say" Hansen is Scottish lolilololololol!!!!!!1!111!!!!!" I was speaking about the English media, which Alan Hansen is part of.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    *sigh*

This. My family were never Spanish though. But you could argue Spanish people are Brown, I am Brown, Brown bros unite.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.