Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If I Was Captain

Announcements Posted on
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wrote a poem recently, mainly inspired from watching Pirates of The Carribean and listening to Biffy Clyro's 'Only Revolutions' album . It's not spectacular, so I don't expect 100% positive feedback, and I have written other things. But this is the first time I've done something which rhymes. Let me know what you think:

One day, one dusk, and then a new dawn,
    Set sail for vast new shores.
    Watch the afternoon sunset, son
    Hear the broadside cannons roar.

All the way to the horizon boys,
    Make haste to make port by sundown.
    Take heed, forewarned, of who we are son,
    We'll pillage and sack this town.

Dance around in the setting sun,
    Laugh all day, sing all night.
    Rum is a sailor's best friend, son
    Drink till the new day is in sight.

But though the life sounds tempting,
    A deceiver I am to you.
    Reality is a different story, son
    It is a life I live untrue.

We swab the decks, we tire our bones,
    We sweat till the day is done.
    No rum, no laughter, no singing, son
    Tis' a life lacking in fun.

Yet, my boy, if I was to be called the captain,
    And swear allegiance to sand and sea,
    No further look ye for adventure, son
    I'd offer a life that is free.

And raise Old Roger upon the mast,
    A flag most jolly to behold.
    Sail at the wheel for seven yar, son
    And search for woman, rum and gold.

So take thy advice for a life of ease,
    And out with this old captain!
    We shall run the scurvy dog through, son
    And for us the ship shall remain.

And to reach a new day, a new dusk and a new dawn,
    Under I me ‘arties we sail!
    No nothing shall oppose, son
    No never shall we fail!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The rhythm definitely evokes a sea shanty, as do the "son" and "boy" repetitions.
    You've got the popular conception of pirate language spot on (Pirates of the Carribean at work :wink:). The stanzas are pretty well balanced and the rhymes are good (I have my doubts about a couple of verses, but hey my opinion only, right?).

The story is brilliant. I must say, the image of a sea-dog charming a boy with the romantics ideas and pictures of a life on the ocean seems realistic and smells of salt. I mean, the description is masterly. The yearning for freedom is well evoked too and the hints of mutiny add to the overall glint of the poem.

Certainly conjures wood, splinters, drink, whores, the sea, dislike of authority, rebellion, riches,...etc. Yep. Definitely piratey. I would have thought it a tad bit too floral for a sea-dog, but overall I think you can be proud of it.
    • 65 followers

ReputationRep:
    very piratey !!

have some rep, son
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessaminePoppy)
    The rhythm definitely evokes a sea shanty, as do the "son" and "boy" repetitions.
    You've got the popular conception of pirate language spot on (Pirates of the Carribean at work :wink:). The stanzas are pretty well balanced and the rhymes are good (I have my doubts about a couple of verses, but hey my opinion only, right?).

The story is brilliant. I must say, the image of a sea-dog charming a boy with the romantics ideas and pictures of a life on the ocean seems realistic and smells of salt. I mean, the description is masterly. The yearning for freedom is well evoked too and the hints of mutiny add to the overall glint of the poem.

Certainly conjures wood, splinters, drink, whores, the sea, dislike of authority, rebellion, riches,...etc. Yep. Definitely piratey. I would have thought it a tad bit too floral for a sea-dog, but overall I think you can be proud of it.
    Yeah I kind thought maybe making it a bit more rugged and gritty but it was just something I came up with when I was bored one afternoon. I think I could add more verses to it, and you can sort of see a progression of the character revealing who he really is, not just as a sailor who longs to be a pirate but also as someone who is devious - I wanted to highlight this quality when he replaces 'you' with 'ye'. I'm hoping to use it for the next poetry slam so thanks for the advice!

(Original post by the bear)
    very piratey !!

have some rep, son
    Cheers!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 17, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.