Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Got TC, do a VS?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am fortunate enough to have a TC with a big regional firm. Part of offer means I have to pass LPC first time. Had an exam that went terribly, like really really badly. I don't know what went wrong, just wasn't my day. Haven't got results yet but I can't tell whether I'm over-exaggerating or genuinely failed.

Got home and decided I better apply for Vac schemes. If I've lost my TC, I don't want a summer doing nothing. I now have three vac scheme interviews for large firms coming up, all before I get my results, and two VS offers.

Should I accept?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TriggerT2)
    I am fortunate enough to have a TC with a big regional firm. Part of offer means I have to pass LPC first time. Had an exam that went terribly, like really really badly. I don't know what went wrong, just wasn't my day. Haven't got results yet but I can't tell whether I'm over-exaggerating or genuinely failed.

Got home and decided I better apply for Vac schemes. If I've lost my TC, I don't want a summer doing nothing. I now have three vac scheme interviews for large firms coming up, all before I get my results, and two VS offers.

Should I accept?
    Yes. It won't do any harm and could possibly do quite a bit of good. Probably don't mention your TC about the office and if you still have your TC don't mention the vac schemes.
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think it might be a better idea to concentrate on the LPC instead of playing Ally McBeal over the summer?

I mean, all power to you if you get more VS offers, but surely the priority here is the TC that you already have in the bag?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Don't you think it might be a better idea to concentrate on the LPC instead of playing Ally McBeal over the summer?

I mean, all power to you if you get more VS offers, but surely the priority here is the TC that you already have in the bag?
    Haven't watched Ally McBeal so not sure what you mean, but I haven't 'checked out' of the LPC in any way if that what you're suggesting? Am still working hard etc. am just wondering whether it's advisable to accept VS as a back-up for the worst case scenario.
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haven't watched Ally McBeal so not sure what you mean, but I haven't 'checked out' of the LPC in any way if that what you're suggesting? Am still working hard etc. am just wondering whether it's advisable to accept VS as a back-up for the worst case scenario.
    Not criticizing your fail-safes. What I'm saying is that you're not doing a VS for the intended purpose (ie "learning about being a trainee"/the firm) as you already hold a TC. You're doing it purely as a back-up plan, so you'd really only be going through the motions and as a vehicle to get another TC.

Also, I think it's against the SRA code of practice to apply for a TC if you already have one, i.e. if you have accepted a TC, you're not allowed to apply for new ones. I don't know what the procedure is, but I wouldn't be surprised if you had to fail the LPC and have your TC cancelled before you can apply again.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    You're doing it purely as a back-up plan, so you'd really only be going through the motions and as a vehicle to get another TC.
    I'm not sure I was clear in my situation. I wouldn't do the VS if I pass this exam and retain my TC (results are out in three weeks) but I have to make a decision now. The VS's I hold are all for firms that explicitly state the VS is a significant part of their recruitment process for TCs.

Essentially, in the worst case scenario, I don't want to lose my TC and then have no way of getting back into the legal recruitment market anytime soon.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know the lay of the ground on this but I had to pull out of vac schemes because I had a training contract, it was part of the "mini contract", obviously I don't know if where you've applied has stipulated this or not but it seems odd they'd give you a vs having already accepted a training contract...I know you're probably thinking but they'll never know, Im maybe just too naive/paranoid about that kind of thing.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do they specify you have to pass the LPC first time, or pass all exams within it at first attempt? These are different things. As long as you pass a resit during the currency of your LPC year you may be fine anyway.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I seem to be disagreeing with Sianeh a lot, but you should do whatever you want for whatever reasons you want (if you're worried you've failed your LPC, or if you just think you can land a spot with a better firm, you want to earn some money in the summer, whatever) because, in this case, there are no downsides and only upsides. Consider:

1. How are they going to find out?: it's not like law firms plaster across the internet evidence of the identity of their vacation scheme students.

2. What are they going to do if they do find out?: is a firm going to rescind a contract just because you did another vacation scheme? Are you barred from doing any internships once you accept your TC?--I don't think so.

3. How important do you think you are?: you're the smallest fry in the law world pond--no negative consequences are going to follow you because you jumped ship at this stage. Don't flatter yourself you're important.

4. Who do you think you work for?: if your firm was going through any financial difficulties, you don't think they'd take any excuse to cut you in a heartbeat? Now's not the time to be getting sentimental.

It's not a risk if you can only gain: it's a gift.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    Do they specify you have to pass the LPC first time, or pass all exams within it at first attempt?
    They specify pass the LPC first time, so no re-sits.

Thanks for all the opinions, they've been most helpful! And apologies to anyone who was annoyed by my original post.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    They specify pass the LPC first time, so no re-sits.

Thanks for all the opinions, they've been most helpful! And apologies to anyone who was annoyed by my original post.
    This is my point - if you resit one of the exams during the course you are still considered to pass the LPC first time. It's only if they have specifically stated you must pass all elements at first sit that any resit causes you a problem.

Someone I was on the LPC with had a TC and bursary from DLA which specified LPC must be passed first time. They had to resit one module and it was fine because they resat before the course had finished.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 19, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.