Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chelsea vs Barcelona 1st leg Hype & Discussion Thread

Announcements Posted on
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Precisely. Also, I agree to an extent with the BBC post who said that one team attempted to defend, one attempted to attack and one defended better than the other attacked - it's just that defending is underrated because it's less pleasing to watch.

Not really, it was nothing like say Inter's performances home and away 2 years ago.

THAT was a defensive performance and they limited Barca to scraps even with 10 men. Tonight Chelsea gave the opposition at least 5 clear opportunities on goal on their own slow and narrow pitch. If it wasn't for comical finishing and Fabregas starting the tie would probably be over already, Chelsea will have to up their game massively to even stand a chance next week.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mau5)
    Not really, it was nothing like say Inter's performances home and away 2 years ago.

THAT was a defensive performance and they limited Barca to scraps even with 10 men. Tonight Chelsea gave the opposition at least 5 clear opportunities on goal on their own slow and narrow pitch. If it wasn't for comical finishing and Fabregas starting the tie would probably be over already, Chelsea will have to up their game massively to even stand a chance next week.
    Would you not say that finishing is a key part of attacking?

I don't disagree that Barcelona scoring in the Camp Nou is inevitable, though.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sky Sports News: Barcelona had 79% possession...:lolwut:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sky Sports News: Barcelona had 79% possession...:lolwut:
    What was you expecting? You hardly touched the ball and well Barca play 'absolute football'. It will be worse at the Nou Camp .
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Vader 7)
    What was you expecting? You hardly touched the ball and well Barca play 'absolute football'. It will be worse at the Nou Camp .
    Not quite that much. Also on SSN: Barcelona's 5th highest passer completed 71 passes; Chelsea's highest was - wait for it - John Obi Mikel with 32 completed passes. :eek: Perhaps Barcelona will be the first team to have ninety percent possession at the Camp Nou? :erm:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not quite that much. Also on SSN: Barcelona's 5th highest passer completed 71 passes; Chelsea's highest was - wait for it - John Obi Mikel with 32 completed passes. :eek: Perhaps Barcelona will be the first team to have ninety percent possession at the Camp Nou? :erm:
    That would be a bit embarrassing.

I guess you'll be OK if that possession is in the deep midfield or in their defence. It will be a great game though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    I thought Terry was the manager?
    :rolleyes: Not a "proper" one.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mau5)

Good result but they really should have added a 2nd goal. I only caught the second half and Chelsea didn't look to take any risks at all. A 2 goal lead would have put Barca under a bit of pressure for the return leg. I really fear for Chelsea.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Few problems for Chelsea in the next leg:

They are playing away from home on a larger pitch at the Camp Nou.

There will be 90k fans baying for blood and the ref may be swayed with more marginal decisions. Thought Chelsea made a number of rough challenges that the ref deemed fair, which are usually given as fouls in Europe.

Chelsea were carved open 4 or 5 times - Barca will probably do similar and I wouldn't bet on them to miss 10 times.

Chelsea will play even deeper trying to protect the lead.

Pique should be rested against Real Madrid and play next week. Imo he would do a better job against Drogba. While Puyol is a good header of the ball, he doesn't have the same physical strength or height that Pique does. We saw how poor Mascherano was in the air against Drogba.

Barcelona have been poor away from home in the champions league for some time now but in most cases, they picked it up again at home (Inter the only example where they haven't in recent years).

However, Chelsea's gameplan really has to be to try and score one goal in the 2nd leg. They might be able to stop Barca from scoring 3 goals tbh.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    If they haven't been able to identify them how do you propose they punish them? Chelsea, the FA and the police are all working towards identifying and catching the offending idiots but that sort of thing takes time even if clear and accurate CCTV images are available.
    Doesn't Wembley have decent CCTV? They can catch the morons at Championship matches, why not at Wembley? Also, why are the police involved? It's not a criminal offence.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by American Vampire)
    Doesn't Wembley have decent CCTV? They can catch the morons at Championship matches, why not at Wembley? Also, why are the police involved? It's not a criminal offence.
    Criminal Justice and Public Order Act http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1994/33/section/154 it is generally applied in a wider sense as well. With their being members of the families of those who lost people at Hillsborough then there is an argument that it could be applied here.

And yes Wembley will have CCTV but just because you can see the people doesn't mean you can get them straight away. You need to investigate who they are, where they live and so on. All of that takes time, it isn't like the picture appears on CCTV with captions about who each person is.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would you not say that finishing is a key part of attacking?

I don't disagree that Barcelona scoring in the Camp Nou is inevitable, though.
    I said the exact same thing to my brother.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    Stopped at the first one when Chelsea were described as a formidable defence :nopity:
    How do you feel?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    How do you feel?
    The formidable defence was carved open 5 or 6 times and there were two open goals missed and some woeful finishes to boot when one on one with Cech.

Feel quite content, thanks for asking :yep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The formidable defence was carved open 5 or 6 times and there were two open goals missed and some woeful finishes to boot when one on one with Cech.

What matters it the scoreline.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow_kisses)
    What matters it the scoreline.
    Tell me where in my post I dismissed the scoreline :cookie:
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tell me where in my post I dismissed the scoreline :cookie:
    I actually agree with you, im feeling bloody confident next week. I dont expect Barca to **** up so many chances.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnharris19944)
    I actually agree with you, im feeling bloody confident next week. I dont expect Barca to **** up so many chances.
    If Chelsea go through they will absolutely deserve it. Barca couldn't take their chances and Chelsea got one chance due to unbelievably poor defending and took it.

I fully hope and expect Barca to do a number on the Blues next week but if they can't there is nowhere to hide. They had the easiest draw and bottled it.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    If Chelsea go through they will absolutely deserve it. Barca couldn't take their chances and Chelsea got one chance due to unbelievably poor defending and took it.

I fully hope and expect Barca to do a number on the Blues next week but if they can't there is nowhere to hide. They had the easiest draw and bottled it.
    I agree the first game even though Chelsea defended pretty well they still got sliced open numerous times and well if not for some big time choking could have been pretty bad for them. Barca really miss Villa i think the guy makes sure defenders cant just collapse in the box as he can hit the ball pretty darn well from afar and can punish you which well i dont think any of the Barca players really can right now.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:

Yeah, but how many chances were stopped you muppet?
Updated: April 23, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football match discussion threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.