Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Android vs Windows Phone

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't really afford a 4s so thats out of the equation i think, especially as the new phone is supposed to be coming out in a few months. Wouldn't want to be spending loads an iphone contract when for most of the contract i will be on the old model.

So its android or windows. I used to have a htc legend and quite liked it. I found it a bit buggy and glitchy at times and never really used the marketplace for apps. I mainly just used internet browsing and facebook/twitter on it. This made me thing i should consider a windows phone (like the look of the lumia in white) as it is supposed to be very good for social network integration. I was just wondering if times had changed though and there are now must-have apps on android that make that a better purchase? Any examples? (not really into gaming, but am into music)

Phones: so i think the best choice on windows phone is the lumia. Is the new lumia 900 a lot better than the 800? There are some good deals on it atm.

On android it is a bit less clear cut. I have tried an S2 and found i much preferred the HTC interface, texting on an S2 wasn't as intuitive and neither was just navigating the phone's standard features. I also found it rather big so wouldn't want anything bigger like the new HTC One X. So i guess that leaves the new Xperia S or the Sensation XE? Both can be had for 20-26 pounds a month at phones 4 u which is my budget.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Social media integration is excellent on WP7, the unified contact list is a very cool feature for example and in the messaging app you can quickly switch between texting and Facebook IM threads with the push of a button. The interface is great, very smooth and fluid, and I'm yet to run into any lag after 6 months of owning my Lumia. The difference between the 800 and 900 is pretty much larger screen size (But not resolution, so while it's bigger it won't look as sharp) and the addition of a front facing camera. Unless you really want the extra camera, the main consideration is your preferred form factor.

It does have it's shortcomings though. App selection is really poor when compared to Android and iOS, but you said you don't download many apps so that's not likely to factor in as much. It also has worse multitasking implementation than the big two, it seems very random in terms of which apps keep running in the background and which don't. Music, which you said is important, is hit and miss depending on how you look at it. Nokia Music is awesome, especially mix radio's offline caching, the playlists I've listened to have obviously had some thought into finding the best of that genre. However the hardware itself isn't the greatest- if you're a casual listener using basic headphones, you'll never notice any problems and probably won't be able to tell the difference between the Lumia line and any other smartphone, so nothing to worry about. However if you're an audio enthusiast with high bitrate files and a proper set of cans, the shortcomings of the Lumia's DAC are quite apparent when compared to other options.

Going by what you've said in the OP, the Lumia line sound like they'd be a great fit for you. If you get swayed over to Android, the HTC Sensation XE would definitely be my recommendation. Rock solid in terms of hardware and software, my only issue with it is the involvement with Beats, but that's just my personal gripe and the Beats earbuds are admittedly the best headphones ever bundled with a phone (I'd still sell them off immediately if you're really concerned with audio and get a better set with the money though :ahee:). However wait until May 3rd before buying, the Galaxy S3 gets announced then and that's likely to send the prices of all other Android sets through the floor.

tldr; The Lumia line sounds like a good match, I'd go for it (:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Social media integration is excellent on WP7, the unified contact list is a very cool feature for example and in the messaging app you can quickly switch between texting and Facebook IM threads with the push of a button. The interface is great, very smooth and fluid, and I'm yet to run into any lag after 6 months of owning my Lumia. The difference between the 800 and 900 is pretty much larger screen size (But not resolution, so while it's bigger it won't look as sharp) and the addition of a front facing camera. Unless you really want the extra camera, the main consideration is your preferred form factor.

It does have it's shortcomings though. App selection is really poor when compared to Android and iOS, but you said you don't download many apps so that's not likely to factor in as much. It also has worse multitasking implementation than the big two, it seems very random in terms of which apps keep running in the background and which don't. Music, which you said is important, is hit and miss depending on how you look at it. Nokia Music is awesome, especially mix radio's offline caching, the playlists I've listened to have obviously had some thought into finding the best of that genre. However the hardware itself isn't the greatest- if you're a casual listener using basic headphones, you'll never notice any problems and probably won't be able to tell the difference between the Lumia line and any other smartphone, so nothing to worry about. However if you're an audio enthusiast with high bitrate files and a proper set of cans, the shortcomings of the Lumia's DAC are quite apparent when compared to other options.

Going by what you've said in the OP, the Lumia line sound like they'd be a great fit for you. If you get swayed over to Android, the HTC Sensation XE would definitely be my recommendation. Rock solid in terms of hardware and software, my only issue with it is the involvement with Beats, but that's just my personal gripe and the Beats earbuds are admittedly the best headphones ever bundled with a phone (I'd still sell them off immediately if you're really concerned with audio and get a better set with the money though :ahee:). However wait until May 3rd before buying, the Galaxy S3 gets announced then and that's likely to send the prices of all other Android sets through the floor.

tldr; The Lumia line sounds like a good match, I'd go for it (:
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I am slightly concerned with apps though, because really I don't know what I am missing. I might have a look through the android thread and see what the deal with apps is.

I am a partial audio enthusiast, in that i really care about good quality bass as I listen to a lot of deep/tech-house music. I have a pair of pioneer headphones for that but do need a good set of in-ears too. I know what you mean about beats, completely over-priced for what they are but like that they are thrown in free with the XE. Tbh, only thing putting me off the XE is that the Lumia and Xperia S look so much better, especially in white.

Thanks for the tip about waiting until the 3rd May, good idea.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think WP7 is a great platform, or will be at least. At the moment theres far too much unused space and not enough customisation. For a platform that prides itself on simplicity, you often find yourself taking longer to do something simple than you would on another platform. The lack of apps is another issue that some can't get over. Given that you said you used a Legend before, id suggest trying one of the more recent Android handsets before making your mind up. They really have come on leaps and bounds since then though, like every platform, its not without its bugs and such.

Ive had pretty much every OS out there bar Symbian and I'm not happily swanning along with android...and waiting for a beastly Note to appear at my door any day now. Give both platforms a go instore or something and see which impresses you more.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think Windows tends to be more optimised with the phone. Sure, Android allows for more customisation but not everyone wants that. I'm particularly impressed by the Lumia 900, particularly with it's hardware and not using Symbian for it's OS. It'll make it more accessible for the general market and a great way back to Nokia being a major player.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You can't compare Android phone vs Windows phone these two are completely different in league for me windows phone is more of business phone then android will be, but Android is much more fun, fast and better.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bengalisoldier)
    but Android is much more fun, fast and better.
    On the subject of speed, I actually tested my Lumia 800 against my flatmate's Galaxy S2 when I first bought it, and it consistently felt snappier and more fluid in everyday tasks, and I'm yet to experience any lag whatsoever. Android phones come in ridiculously powerful configurations and will obviously be able to trounce a WP7 device at intensive tasks, but people overlook how well a properly optimised single core phone can run when the hardware and software and integrated well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    On the subject of speed, I actually tested my Lumia 800 against my flatmate's Galaxy S2 when I first bought it, and it consistently felt snappier and more fluid in everyday tasks, and I'm yet to experience any lag whatsoever. Android phones come in ridiculously powerful configurations and will obviously be able to trounce a WP7 device at intensive tasks, but people overlook how well a properly optimised single core phone can run when the hardware and software and integrated well.
    I've heard this exact same thing on many reviews on YouTube and on tech websites. Apparently Windows Phone 8 will be released later on this year, probably Q4. I know they want to add front-facing cameras (I think the Lumia 900 will be the first to have one on a Windows Phone). I can't remember, but I think the next batch of WP devices will house multiple core processors (most likely dual-core).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    it's because all android apps are written in java, if they were written in something like C they would be mega quick
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    About the apps; Windows is really not as established as Android, but it will be soon enough. I've noticed that there's an equivalent app for each Android app, if it's not exactly the same.

Worst thing about Windows; no Temple Run! Yet I would never swap my Lumia for an iPhone. It's too amazing.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would say go for an Android phone much better than a windows phone
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Favourite Worst Nightmare)
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I am slightly concerned with apps though, because really I don't know what I am missing. I might have a look through the android thread and see what the deal with apps is.

I am a partial audio enthusiast, in that i really care about good quality bass as I listen to a lot of deep/tech-house music. I have a pair of pioneer headphones for that but do need a good set of in-ears too. I know what you mean about beats, completely over-priced for what they are but like that they are thrown in free with the XE. Tbh, only thing putting me off the XE is that the Lumia and Xperia S look so much better, especially in white.

Thanks for the tip about waiting until the 3rd May, good idea.
    There's apps for pretty much anything you can think of Android if you look hard enough. It's particularly good at integrating with your PC. For example, I can play all my music, access all my files, and even directly control my computer from my phone.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 21, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.