The Student Room Group

Northumbria MA social work entry exam

i have my exam next week. all i have been told is to read the guardian on certain days and to take a look at the social work journal. has anybody already done an exam like this for social work? what could i read up on to help? what sort of things should i excpect in the exam

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have this exam aswell and would like more information too, I think they tell you to read up so you can familiarise yourself with current issues in the media with regard to social work but thats just a guess. Im hoping I can pass to get an interview
Reply 2
I have this exam coming up, how did yours go?
Reply 3
The excersice was ok, I didnt pay attention to time very well so was concerned about my answers and came away feeling like Id done rather badly....but Ive jsut recieved an email inviting me to interview on the 16th...needless to say Ive had a massive smile on my face all day. Good luck with yours
Hi, I had the interview today too, how did it go? i feel mine was awful! my mind went blank when i was in there, but the questions were okay, and I had planned well but what i wanted to say just didn't come out.

did they tell you how long it would be until we hear back? The woman i had said she didn't know but could be about a month or so, they wait after they have interviewed everyone :s.
Reply 5
Felt mine went badly too but just had a conditional offer sent by email!! They didnt say how long it would take to find out, they just said 'soon'.
Reply 6
I think I must have had the same woman as you Laura, she said about a month but i got an email the next day offering me a conditional offer so I was quite suprised to hear back so soon.

I thought the interview had gone badly, I wasnt expecting those questions and was suprised at only being asked a few questions and I was late and flustered and as usual just got petrified everytime they asked a question.

Congratulations Daniel guess Ill be seeing you in January, have you heard yet Laura?
Hi. I was interviewed earlier this month - and still haven't heard. I rang up Admissions this afternoon to double check as I was told "two weeks", and was informed that emails would be sent next week "at the earliest". After reading that you've already had offers I'm assuming that I'm in the "thanks but no thanks" pile of emails to be sent out next week :frown: Congratulations to you both. It seems a great course. However I'm still hoping I'm quite high up on a "reserve list" for places not taken up by those already sent offers ...
Reply 8
Surely they would just tell when you phoned if you weren't accepted? They may not give out all the offers at the same time, hope you get good news. I wasn't accepted when I applied to another uni 2 years ago so you will get there eventually whatever happens!
Reply 9
Same with me I applied on this course when I finished my BA and wasnt accepted.....always bothered me so tried again....dont give up if you havent gotten on though.

Has anyone else heard anything? Just awaiting my written offer, any ideas what conditions might be?
Reply 10
I am still awaiting the written offer, when I got the email it said details of the offer would be sent out last week, received nothing yet though.. Apart from an email about uni accommodation which also gave me a student number.. Didn't have much experience when I wasn't accepted 2 years ago, they even told me afterwards that my interview went really badly!
Reply 11
Yeah I got the same not interested in uni accomodation though...was hoping to have gotten the letter by now Ive seen on the NHS bursary website that they are open for applications and want to crack on getting things sorted. Ive read some of the other threads and the conditions all seem to be pass CRB check, get approved funding and get relevant degree result so pretty straight forward.

I never got to the interview my first time round I remember doing the written exercise and coming away knowing I hadnt gotten through plus I had no experience.
Reply 12
I have read some uni's ask you to do a health check aswell as part of the condition?! Yeah I hope they crack on with confirming offers/sending out paperwork etc so we can start with bursaries/living arrangements as I have to move myself from London. Don't fancy uni accom either, done my fair share of that! Quite glad I didnt get into Goldsmiths last time looking back, I think Northumbria is a much better place to study and feel much more ready for it having gained more experience..
Reply 13
Yeah I had read about the health check but I thought it was a joke...surely they cant refuse you on the course if you dont pass a health check?

I expect it wont be till the end of the week when we recieve letters with it being the jubilee week.

I agree 25 feels much to old to be going into halls. So your not from up here thats quite a big move. This time I applied at Durham and Northumbria not heard anything from Durham, I got a 2:2 so think was a bit outside of the requirements and its just a bit far out to travel every day.

Its a shame there arent any others starting in January on here.
Reply 14
Yes the health check seems a bit extreme and something extra to worry about! Its a big move but one I want to make as all my family live in the area and I did my BA at Newcastle and enjoyed it.

I Didn't even realise Durham did the Social Work MA but not surprised to hear they may rule out people with a 2.2. I am a bit nervous about the academic side of things as since graduating in 2007 the only slightly academic thing I have done is an NVQ in Health and Social Care, felt a bit strange doing that after a BA but I think the interviewers were quite impressed with it, otherwise they seemed very hard to impress so I was very surprised to get the offer!

Hopefully some other people who have been given offers will post, I am relieved to hear you are also awaiting the written confirmation though as I was getting a bit worried about not having received it yet!
Reply 15
I was starting to think I had read the email wrongly and wasnt actually given an offer...so its good to know Im not the only one waiting.

Yes I was worried after taking the written exercise when the tutor said they were looking to see if we seemed ready to study at a postgraduate level...I graduated in 2009 and havent done anything academically since. im sure its bound to be a shock especially with the amount of work they keep mentioning.

I live in the area and have a son so moving was out of the question
Reply 16
Thought I'd say hi and tell you that I've also got a conditional offer. You'll be glad to know that I've not received any proper letter either!

I had to read my email a couple of times to check I was reading it correctly! Hopefully they'll send out stuff soon!

I'm from Newcastle too and have a baby, hopefully that'll be fine though!
Reply 17
Hi glad to see someone else has gotten on the course....congratulations. Its good to know we are all still waiting on confirmation letters.

Yea my son will be just turning 1 when we start in January so Ive just started looking into nurserys etc. Im sure it will be fine...was a bit concerned about the amount of work required and having a baby to look after aswell but Im sure we'll manage.
Reply 18
They have made it sound like a lot of work, I'm getting a puppy in a couple of weeks and am worried how I'm going to manage with that! Still waiting for further confirmation, good to know we are all in the same boat regarding that though
Reply 19
Congratulations to you both for getting a conditional offer too! I think it's quite a competitive course to get on!

My little girl will be approaching two by the time we start the course, so hopefully it will be fine.

I'm looking forward to the course starting, I think they have a introduction/meet up for the course in Nov?

Xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending