Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why is every song about love...

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    why don't musicians use music to talk about struggles that people face in their lives around the world
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    Spend an hour listening to Cannibal Corpse, love doesn't feature too much in their lyrics. You'll feel much better afterwards, honest :ninja:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Every song isn't about love.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    its what all the 12 year olds think they are in currently and need music to reflect their deep feelings.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    loove makes the world go round
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're talking about songs on the raido - they're not about love, they're about lust.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KorbenDallas)
    Every song isn't about love.
    *Not every song is about love
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because so many people want it
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not every song is but it features as a theme more than a lot of other possibilities because many songwriters write based on their emotions and love is a strong emotion that a large number of people can relate to.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I find that most songs in the charts now seem to be about sex, rather than love.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Love songs are commercial?
    Listening to music makes me think of people i know so its only logical for songwriters to write about what they know, have experienced, for a lot of people the creative process is way of venting emotions. Doesn't everyone have a few songs that they turn up very loud when they're really angry or upset or completely elated :P
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is why i prefer music without lyrics.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inadilemma)
    I find that most songs in the charts now seem to be about sex, rather than love.
    (Original post by Steezy)
    If you're talking about songs on the raido - they're not about love, they're about lust.
    why don't musicians use music to talk about struggles that people face everyday.

(Original post by kezzida)
    Because so many people want it
    i don't think so some people just enjoy being loners..sad i know
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingsarecool)
    why don't musicians use music to talk about struggles that people face everyday.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:

I'm pretty sure this isn't about love.............
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Some songs are about everday struggles. Or about losing someone. Or about world problems. Fact is, for most people, love is a huge thing and definitely a worthy topic for a song.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of musicians who sing about everyday struggles among other things!

E.g.

..Political, you see.

Songs about love are popular because that's one of the strongest emotions you can feel, something that most people can relate to, and therefore an interesting thing to write about. Love songs tend to sell well too.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Like love?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    why don't musicians use music to talk about struggles that people face in their lives around the world

Most rap artists rap about the troubles they've had or face.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    In terms of commercial success, love songs are generally great for capturing the hearts of the public. Even if it's written terribly, it's something that a lot of people can relate to. Similarly, songs about "the club" are popular too, but more because it's something to get people in a good mood.

For some reason, when I try to think of songs I listen to that aren't about love, I end up with "Nan, You're A Window Shopper" by Lily Allen O_o

There's plenty of good songs not about love though, it's just that love is a universal subject. Looking at my Top 50 songs on iTunes that aren't about partying or love, there's topics such as rough urban areas, trying to make a change in life, satire involving the lack of originality in how teen girls act, and for some reason a song about a neighbourhood slag. However, a lot of my songs are about love or partying, and it's weird how these subjects are ones that pop up so often in music.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 17, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.