Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Parents cutting internet / kicked out over university

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I have an offer from University "x". My parents want me to go to this University "x". But I have plans for a gap year, and then reapplying to other universities with courses that I would enjoy more. Now, if I decline this offer my parents threaten to cut the internet after 9pm / kick me out, now I use the internet lots, for researching and other stuff, the internet will play a bigger part when I am self teaching A level subjects and I learn better late at night.

Does anyone have any advice? Like 2 modems in one house or something similar? Sure I could do the researching part during the day, but if I come to a problem I won't be able to do anything until the next day. I won't be able to do 2.5 A levels in 1 year while working somewhere to pay for accomodation somewhere.

Thanks
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mobile broadband / mifi?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Seems kinda crazy. Move out? Or, as you suggested - buy your own internet subscription. If they kick you out, sit outside their house, begging.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Work before 9pm?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think this seems like something you should resolve with your parents rather than try and get around, they might still find out and still kick you out.

There's a problem if your parents won't let you make your own decisions about uni.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Mobile broadband / mifi?
    It could work unless they do kick me out.

(Original post by Steezy)
    Seems kinda crazy. Move out? Or, as you suggested - buy your own internet subscription. If they kick you out, sit outside their house, begging.
    Problem is I don't have the time for a job to pay for accomodation while studying 2.5 A levels in a year.

(Original post by thefunktopus69)
    Work before 9pm?
    Yeah I think thats the only alternative to it, any idea about the kicking out problem?

(Original post by suggsina)
    I think this seems like something you should resolve with your parents rather than try and get around, they might still find out and still kick you out.

There's a problem if your parents won't let you make your own decisions about uni.
    Problem is I don't know how to solve it. They are dead set on me going to University "X" even though I don't like it or the course.

Thanks so far guys.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why do they want you to go to university X and study course X so badly?

Have you tried discussing the pros and cons with them?

Sadly, disobeying them and finding ways around the internet blockage will not do you any favours and it's only masking the problem.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    accept being kicked out,but before you leave make sure the network is unprotected and subsequently use this internet in the backgarden when they asleep
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Live in the garden shed underneath the pile of stuff that nobody touches, and sneak in and out at night for food. Set up wireless internet and an extension cord so you can surf in the shed.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tell your parents that you want your own life. It's not up to them to decide things for you, sure they can help to guide you, but they cannot make the final decision. You are clearly old and responsible enough. Maybe even threaten to move out, or live with a friend for a week and see how they like it then. Im terms of your internet problem, I would tell them, that you need the internet to study to get a-levels if you do change your mind and go to uni this year, or even if you take a gap year. They wouldn't really want to hinder that I hope. Uni isn't for everyone - don't feel pressured to go.

Tell them that you do not wish to go this year, but it may be a sensible idea to compromise and say accept the offer, because I think I'm right in saying that you still don't have to go.. but you should check that! And as other people have said, maybe invest in a dongle/usb internet device, that you can use as and when in emergencies just to check something.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlemissmidget123)
    Tell your parents that you want your own life. It's not up to them to decide things for you, sure they can help to guide you, but they cannot make the final decision. You are clearly old and responsible enough. Maybe even threaten to move out, or live with a friend for a week and see how they like it then. Im terms of your internet problem, I would tell them, that you need the internet to study to get a-levels if you do change your mind and go to uni this year, or even if you take a gap year. They wouldn't really want to hinder that I hope. Uni isn't for everyone - don't feel pressured to go.

Tell them that you do not wish to go this year, but it may be a sensible idea to compromise and say accept the offer, because I think I'm right in saying that you still don't have to go.. but you should check that! And as other people have said, maybe invest in a dongle/usb internet device, that you can use as and when in emergencies just to check something.
    If I say I want my own life then I would be forced to move out. I know what you are trying to say, but they aren't bothered about me moving out thats the problem, and I can't afford accomodation.

Thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I want to know what uni 'x' is :L

But could you not say you've accepted it and leave it at that just until you get your results?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You need to grow a pair and stand up to your parents. You're obviously not cut out for education so they need to stop forcing you. Honestly, I dont know why many parents force their children to go to University when they themselves barely have a primary school education.

Get real or get lost.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalallaa)
    I want to know what uni 'x' is :L

But could you not say you've accepted it and leave it at that just until you get your results?
    It is Queens Belfast. I want to go over to England/Scotland for University, but first I want to take a gap year.

But I have no intention of going to the University, they won't kick me out until after I finish my current A levels, it is after I finish them is the big problem, I have no where to go.

Thanks.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get a dongle?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering why you applied there in the first place if you had no intention of going there at all? Or is that just a recent thing?

Anyway, it's YOU going to uni and it's going to cost YOU £9000 a year so go on a gap year and go study in at a place you'd enjoy more doing a course you'd be more interested in. Do you have any friends or relatives you can ask to move in with?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloydRix)
    It is Queens Belfast. I want to go over to England/Scotland for University, but first I want to take a gap year.

But I have no intention of going to the University, they won't kick me out until after I finish my current A levels, it is after I finish them is the big problem, I have no where to go.

Thanks.
    What did you plan to do on your gap year?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just a thought, though, I'm assuming you're from NI since you say you 'want to go away'. Queens is a good uni, and it's going to cost you less than half the amount per year - is that why they want you to stay, maybe? That they know it means you'll have a lesser loan + be able to possibly not need to go to halls which saves money too? :/

You really just need to talk it through with them, though, I wouldn't really want to stay here either.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Futurism)
    I'm just wondering why you applied there in the first place if you had no intention of going there at all? Or is that just a recent thing?

Anyway, it's YOU going to uni and it's going to cost YOU £9000 a year so go on a gap year and go study in at a place you'd enjoy more doing a course you'd be more interested in. Do you have any friends or relatives you can ask to move in with?
    It was more to do with that I didn't do Maths A Level while, Queens allows for other subjects, I had a chance of getting in compared to other universities such as UCL etc.

Possible but I don't think that it would be long term.

(Original post by lalalallaa)
    What did you plan to do on your gap year?
    Do Maths, Further Maths A level and AS Physics and reapply to universities in England / Scotland.

Thanks for your help so far.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just miss the grades so that you cant go to uni x this year, and then take a gap year, resit the stuff your doing this year (they cant kick you out while doing A levels) and then they might see that you should be able to do what you want, if not and they still want you to go to uni x then reapply to the unis you want for the courses you want and tell them that you applied to uni x for the course they wanted you to do, then they wont be able to give you grief while your studying and then you can go to wherever you want and what the hell can they do about it when you will be leaving by the time they find out?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2012
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.