Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

FOOD AND DRINK: The Alphabad, The Alphabest!

Announcements Posted on
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    In this thread, we ae-bee-see-dee-ee-eff-gee our way to deliciousness and disgustingness alike!

Yes, in this thread, we explore the best and worst that the alphabet has to offer in the realm of food and drink!! But how does this work? Pah!! It's easy, you guys! EASY!

One person will suggest a letter of the alphabet. The next person will then have to pick a food or drink they utterly adore, and one they utterly despise, starting with that letter!!

So if I was to say, "What's Your AlphaBAD and AlphaBEST of LETTER A?" (and yes, I would use that godawful title) - the next person might respond,

"Jesus Christ, what a stupid title. But...

ALPHABEST: APPLE CRUMBLE

ALPHABAD: ARTICHOKES

WHAT'S YOUR ALPHABEST AND ALPHABAD OF LETTER Y?"

And so on, and so forth. Doesn't need to be in alphabetical order, just your choice!!

So let's get us started, team!!

WHAT'S YOUR ALPHABEST AND ALPHABAD OF... THE LETTER B?
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Alphabad: Bananas
    Alphabest: Burgers

Alphabad and best of the letter S?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    ALPHABEST:
    Snackajacks. Most people despise em, but I'm gonna just come out and say it goddamnit. I LOVE EM. The Salt and Vinegar Snackajack ones to be precise (ooh double S AlphaBest).

Sausage Rolls (the mini party ones in the freezer aisle) are also up there with the S God's a mon avis

ALPHABAD:
    Sugar Snap Peas. YOU TASTE AWFUL. How can you be the same colour as so many other great veggies and taste like that? Huh? HUH?!

Scallops are also pretty foul I'd say. Sorry but anything you have to add loadsa stuff to, then swallow ASAP is not a delightful dish to me!

ALPHABEST AND ALPHABAD OF...F!
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe you don't like scallops Dani. Disappointed!!!

F
    BEST: French baguette. Warm. Oh my, even the smell of it is enough to wet my whistle. I'll eat it on it's own, just with butter, slices of ham, dipped in balsamic. It's beautiful.

BAD: Frogs legs. Taste like chicken? I didn't think so. Anyway, even if it is a BIT like chicken..it's still frog, you're eating frog.

Best and bad of..P
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelissaJayne)

F
    BEST: French baguette. Warm. Oh my, even the smell of it is enough to wet my whistle. I'll eat it on it's own, just with butter, slices of ham, dipped in balsamic. It's beautiful.

BAD: Frogs legs. Taste like chicken? I didn't think so. Anyway, even if it is a BIT like chicken..it's still frog, you're eating frog.

Best and bad of..P
    Scallops are like Oysters right? Only tried Oysters once, but I just didnt get em... Its the whole, slide off the shell and swallow as quick as you can that doesnt appeal. Maybe its a 'keep persevering till you like it' kinda thing?
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dani_1991)
    Scallops are like Oysters right? Only tried Oysters once, but I just didnt get em... Its the whole, slide off the shell and swallow as quick as you can that doesnt appeal. Maybe its a 'keep persevering till you like it' kinda thing?
    They're NOTHING like oysters. I hate oysters! Scallops are a lovely shellfish, almost sweet in flavour. Perfect with something like a pea flavour. I pan fry them really quickly on a hot pan and they get a caramelised layer on the outside. You don't have to swallow them whole at all, think you got mixed up here
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

F

Best and bad of..P
    Alphabest: PASTA i LOVELOVELOVE it

Alphabad: Peas...particularly MUSHY peas

Whats the alphabest and alphabad of the letter C?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    They're NOTHING like oysters. I hate oysters! Scallops are a lovely shellfish, almost sweet in flavour. Perfect with something like a pea flavour. I pan fry them really quickly on a hot pan and they get a caramelised layer on the outside. You don't have to swallow them whole at all, think you got mixed up here
    OMG YEARS OF SCALLOP AVOIDANCE FOR NOTHING! I'll have to try them! THANK YOU SO MUCH <3

C...

ALPHABEST: Cereal. Pure and simple. I love cereal. So many varieties, so little time. My favourite dinner as a child was 'cereal dinner' where I'd have as many bowls as humanly possible and then feel very sick. I went to Uni armed with 11 boxes of different cereals and regularly revisit these dinner sensations
    Also, Crab Meat, which I've (sort of) recently discovered, and bloody love it. So much better than shredded crab.

ALPHABAD: 'Cream of' Soups. You know the story. But actual food that starts with C? CRANBADBERRIES.

HOW ABOUT...M?
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    ALPHABEST: MUSHROOMS.
    Seriously, I don't think I go a day without getting my Button, Oyster, Chestnut, or Shiitake fix!

ALPHABAD: MAYONNAISE.
    The most abused foodstuff in the world. What started off as a simple super-thin spreadable has become this disgusting SHOTGUN-APPLIED DELUGE OF FAT!!

ALPHABAD AND ALPHABEST OF: G?
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    ALPHABEST: MUSHROOMS.
    Seriously, I don't think I go a day without getting my Button, Oyster, Chestnut, or Shiitake fix!

ALPHABAD: MAYONNAISE.
    The most abused foodstuff in the world. What started off as a simple super-thin spreadable has become this disgusting SHOTGUN-APPLIED DELUGE OF FAT!!

ALPHABAD AND ALPHABEST OF: G?
    My M's would have been the exact same. Good choice fine sir.

G:
    ALPHABEST - Ganache. Anyone who knows me knows how I LOVE my truffles. And that melting chocolate experience. Ganache cannot be beaten when it comes to this. So decadent and rich, hell yeah it's high in calories but it's so good you only need a little amount. Every thing in moderation!

ALPHABAD - Greek salad. I hate olives, don't think much of Feta. And all it's got going for it after that is some leaves and the occasional cherry tomato. Goes without saying really.

bad and best of..T
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Alphabest- Tiramisu. Espresso dipped lady fingers, thick whipped cream and a chocolate ganache? Divine.

Alphabad- Tripe. Wrong on every level.

Best and worst of V?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    V...

ALPHABEST:
    Vegetables! (though I know that's a group not a single item, but it just needed to be said! Vegetable soup maybe?) More singular...
    Vanilla Yoghurt, really nice with fruit or granola

ALPHABAD: Vegetable Juice. Can't STAND it. I get fruit juice; I don't get vegetable juice.

HOW'S ABOUT...W?!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ALPHABEST: Watermelon. My god, the DELICIOUSNESS. So sweet, juicy and refreshing. One of my favourite fruits of all time. also up there is watercress (for salads, not the god awful soup).

ALPHABAD: Walnuts. I HATE walnuts.

HOW ABOUT N????
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    Best: Naan bread. Not shop bought, a proper calorie laden Indian takeaway one. All the varieties. Soaked in good curry sauce. Hard to beat, no?

Bad: Nutmeg. Only acceptable to me when blended with other spices so in essence, i can't really taste the nutmeg at all. I hate overly nutmeg things, if I go out and order a rice pudding dessert and the swines sabotage it with a heavy amount of nutmeg, I think I'll cry.

tricky one..Z
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's actually easy for me Melissa.

ALPHABEST: Zero and Zagnut Bars

Almond nougat covered in white fudge.... peanut butter covered in wafer and toasted coconut... THESE ARE BARS OF HEAVEN. The former is my ultimate fave, but the Zagnut follows close behind.

ALPHABAD: (Coke) Zero

Of all the variants of Pepsi or Coke (and even supermarket own-brand "zero/Xero" whatever), Coke Zero is the worst by a long shot. With an odd copper-like taste that doesn't refresh but instead gives a cloying, weird iron-like tinny aftertaste once swallowed, I have no qualms drinking Diet Coke, so god knows what they did to create this.

HOW ABOUT ALPHABAD/ALPHABEST OF THE LETTER... Y?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    BEST

Yolk. The moment the yolk spills over the bacon in a sarnie. :drool:

WORST

Yum yums. A poor version of doughnuts.

Letter S?
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rep for Yolk!

S
    best: Sandwiches. Where would we be without them? From BLT to Turkey and stuffing sarnies, they are a part of every day life. And so tasty.

bad: Soup (Cream of) I'm not a Soup fan as it is, unless it's a thick and chunky one that's actually like proper food and not a flavoured water. But cream of Soups are generally VILE. I adore mushrooms in every form but this soup, speaks volumes.

R
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    BEST
    Rashers. The moment rashers are spilt on by egg yolk in a sarnie :drool:

WORST
    Ryvita. It's Cardboard.

Letter D?
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    BEST
    Rashers. The moment rashers are spilt on by egg yolk in a sarnie :drool:

WORST
    Ryvita. It's Cardboard.

Letter D?
    BEST: Dougnuts. Hot, soft, doughy, sweet, cloggy goodness.

BAD: Dry crackers. The fact that they are so awful without a topping or cheese upsets me. If I can't eat you on your own, your existence is questionable.

Letter A
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    BEST: After Eight. :coma:

WORST: the joke that my dad makes every time someone eats an After Eight.

'It's not 8 yet, what are you doing?'

ACTUAL WORST: Aniseed. Not a fan of anything aniseed flavoured.

E?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 9, 2012
New on TSR

Which unis have the poshest students?

See what students perceive to be the classiest establishments in Britain

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.