The Student Room Group

Is Newcastle fine art any good?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ghostly
Do you know anyone else who is going? I don't know anyone :frown:

nope nobody, youre the only one.
one girl in my class had an interview three weeks ago but hasn't heard back, and i know another lad who got an offer but turned it down.

ive looked on YouGo too, nobody on there seems to be doing art there either!
Reply 21
Original post by daaayul
nope nobody, youre the only one.
one girl in my class had an interview three weeks ago but hasn't heard back, and i know another lad who got an offer but turned it down.

ive looked on YouGo too, nobody on there seems to be doing art there either!

oh, i know someone else who had an interview but hasn't heard back yet. have you sorted out accommodation?
Btw, what did they ask you about your interview?
Reply 22
Original post by ghostly
oh, i know someone else who had an interview but hasn't heard back yet. have you sorted out accommodation?
Btw, what did they ask you about your interview?

Oh I'm not applying for accommodation as I live 20 minutes away from the uni :biggrin:

And my interview only lasted around ten minutes! I was asked why newcastle, if I tend to work mainly with paint, what I've learnt during art history, and then I was asked to talk about two of my paintings.

What did they ask you?
Reply 23
Original post by daaayul
Oh I'm not applying for accommodation as I live 20 minutes away from the uni :biggrin:

And my interview only lasted around ten minutes! I was asked why newcastle, if I tend to work mainly with paint, what I've learnt during art history, and then I was asked to talk about two of my paintings.

What did they ask you?

noway, lucky :eek: i really hope i get a bathroom in my room!

I was asked about the same things except the painting question, seemed to be focused more on art history. So you just have to pass foundation?
I didn't do foundation :/ Also, what are we suppose to bring with us? Apart from clothes etc haha :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by ghostly

I was asked about the same things except the painting question, seemed to be focused more on art history. So you just have to pass foundation?
I didn't do foundation :/ Also, what are we suppose to bring with us? Apart from clothes etc haha :smile:

Yeah just a pass! I was so happy that they didn't ask for higher!
I have terrible alevels too so I never thought I'd get an offer :smile:

And I'm guessing you mean what you hav to bring for the first day?
I have no idea! probably the basics like sketchbooks haha

I'm sure we'll get a materials list before we start?

What do you focus on? Like painting or sculpture etc?

Not looking forward to the art history exams either! :frown:
Reply 25
Original post by daaayul
Yeah just a pass! I was so happy that they didn't ask for higher!
I have terrible alevels too so I never thought I'd get an offer :smile:

And I'm guessing you mean what you hav to bring for the first day?
I have no idea! probably the basics like sketchbooks haha

I'm sure we'll get a materials list before we start?

What do you focus on? Like painting or sculpture etc?

Not looking forward to the art history exams either! :frown:

ugh me neither, i hate exams :frown:

eeerm, i'm more into installations, but i had mixed media pieces in my portfolio so i guess i like that too haha
You like paintings right? What kind of paintings, abstract or?
btw, where are you doing your foundation atm, london?
Reply 26
Original post by ghostly
ugh me neither, i hate exams :frown:

eeerm, i'm more into installations, but i had mixed media pieces in my portfolio so i guess i like that too haha
You like paintings right? What kind of paintings, abstract or?
btw, where are you doing your foundation atm, london?

Yeah painting is what I'm best at, and I tend to paint like expressive/realism haha tbh I haven't really developed my own style yet :biggrin:
However saying that I've recently been doing a bit of video/installation and print and I've also done a bit of glass work before!
But definitley painting is what I prefer to work in :smile:

and I'm just doing my foundation locally in sunderland, nothing too fancy

Where abouts are you from then? Far away from newcastle?
Reply 27
Original post by daaayul
Yeah painting is what I'm best at, and I tend to paint like expressive/realism haha tbh I haven't really developed my own style yet :biggrin:
However saying that I've recently been doing a bit of video/installation and print and I've also done a bit of glass work before!
But definitley painting is what I prefer to work in :smile:

and I'm just doing my foundation locally in sunderland, nothing too fancy

Where abouts are you from then? Far away from newcastle?

Yeah, really far! haha, i live in birmingham :smile:
Out of the people that you know who have applied to newcastle, are they all doing foundation atm? feel kind of left out haha
Reply 28
Original post by ghostly
Yeah, really far! haha, i live in birmingham :smile:
Out of the people that you know who have applied to newcastle, are they all doing foundation atm? feel kind of left out haha

Well one girl on my foundation course applied but hasn't had an offer yet, and one other lad who does a levels got an offer but he withdrew

Where else did you apply and did you get offers from them?
Reply 29
Original post by daaayul
Well one girl on my foundation course applied but hasn't had an offer yet, and one other lad who does a levels got an offer but he withdrew

Where else did you apply and did you get offers from them?

he rejected newcastle? where is he planning to go?
Yeah, i applied to quite a few foundations just in case haha, most of them in london (e.g st martins etc), and my local one, birmingham. got offers from them, but only got 2 from unis, newcastle and london. the rest rejected me because i didn't do a foundation, some refused to even look at my complete portfolio :frown: where else did you apply?

Btw, why did you decide newcastle in the end?
Reply 30
Original post by ghostly
he rejected newcastle? where is he planning to go?
Yeah, i applied to quite a few foundations just in case haha, most of them in london (e.g st martins etc), and my local one, birmingham. got offers from them, but only got 2 from unis, newcastle and london. the rest rejected me because i didn't do a foundation, some refused to even look at my complete portfolio :frown: where else did you apply?

Btw, why did you decide newcastle in the end?

The only reason he turned it down was because he wanted to do foundation first so he decided to do that.

erm I applied to Glasgow, Dundee, Leeds and York.
Didn't want to go to Glasgow in the end as I didn't like the sound of the course and I'd only major in painting rather than being able to experiment :frown:
Dundee offered me to go into the second year but I didn't like the art department there, was a bit crappy and looked run down :/
got an offer for York but it's my back up plan and I missed the portfolio send off date for Leeds, wooops!

and I've always wanted to go to Newcastle, their course sounds unreal and perfect for me, love the fact art history is a big part of the course too, much more than a majority of unis.
and then loved the studios and the building and everything about it.
and the fact it's pretty high end uni made it better :biggrin:

how about you? what made you pick Newcastle?
Reply 31
Original post by daaayul
The only reason he turned it down was because he wanted to do foundation first so he decided to do that.

erm I applied to Glasgow, Dundee, Leeds and York.
Didn't want to go to Glasgow in the end as I didn't like the sound of the course and I'd only major in painting rather than being able to experiment :frown:
Dundee offered me to go into the second year but I didn't like the art department there, was a bit crappy and looked run down :/
got an offer for York but it's my back up plan and I missed the portfolio send off date for Leeds, wooops!

and I've always wanted to go to Newcastle, their course sounds unreal and perfect for me, love the fact art history is a big part of the course too, much more than a majority of unis.
and then loved the studios and the building and everything about it.
and the fact it's pretty high end uni made it better :biggrin:

how about you? what made you pick Newcastle?

haha i almost missed the portfolio deadline for newcastle! did you want to go to leeds at all?
and i really liked the pieces people were making at newcastle, their degree shows are amazing :smile: it's quite different to other unis, and this seems a bit weird but tutors etc at newcastle are so much more organised haha
do you think doing a foundation helped a lot, is it really different to a levels?
Reply 32
Original post by ghostly
haha i almost missed the portfolio deadline for newcastle! did you want to go to leeds at all?
and i really liked the pieces people were making at newcastle, their degree shows are amazing :smile: it's quite different to other unis, and this seems a bit weird but tutors etc at newcastle are so much more organised haha
do you think doing a foundation helped a lot, is it really different to a levels?

nah didn't really wanna go to Leeds :/
and yeah Newcastle seems really professional, like the way they teach you and the way they set out their exhibitions :biggrin:
and i didn't want to do foundation tbh, kinda forced into to it but I don't regret it at all! totally improved my painting from it and improved my thought process when it comes to projects :biggrin:
but id say if you can get into uni without foundation then do it :smile:
and it is completely different to alevel, it's a bit more like uni than college.
Reply 33
Original post by daaayul
nah didn't really wanna go to Leeds :/
and yeah Newcastle seems really professional, like the way they teach you and the way they set out their exhibitions :biggrin:
and i didn't want to do foundation tbh, kinda forced into to it but I don't regret it at all! totally improved my painting from it and improved my thought process when it comes to projects :biggrin:
but id say if you can get into uni without foundation then do it :smile:
and it is completely different to alevel, it's a bit more like uni than college.

ah that's good :smile:
i guess i'll see you at uni :biggrin: if you pass and i get the grades haha
Reply 34
Original post by ghostly
ah that's good :smile:
i guess i'll see you at uni :biggrin: if you pass and i get the grades haha

yeah i guess so!
well im dale so keep an eye out for me! :biggrin:

and goodluck with your exams!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by daaayul
yeah i guess so!
well im dale so keep an eye out for me! :biggrin:

and goodluck with your exams!

haha, i'll look out for you. And thanks, you too :biggrin:
Reply 36
Original post by ghostly

Hi, I've got my interview at Newcastle for Fine Art next week. Just wondering if you could give a bit more information about the interview? What questions did they ask you regarding art history? Thanks :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by fioro.tom
Hi, I've got my interview at Newcastle for Fine Art next week. Just wondering if you could give a bit more information about the interview? What questions did they ask you regarding art history? Thanks :smile:

From what I've heard they're pretty quick, mine was around ten minutes!
When I went in they had picked two of my paintings and asked me to talk about them so make sure you know your work inside out!

They'll also definitley ask why newcastle, that's when I mentioned how I liked that they did a large part of the course based on art history and he then asked what I've learned about from looking into the history of art

That's all I was asked based on art history.
I was also asked if I focus more on painting and then that was it!

Got an offer a day later!

Are you doing foundation or alevels?
Reply 38
I finally got an offer today, 2 weeks after my interview! To be honest i was sure that I was going to be rejected and was so gobsmacked when I got the email. Conditional on Foundation pass , no mention of a-levels :smile:

Like Dale, I was asked why I wanted to study at Newcastle. I told them that I loved how the course places so much emphasis on Art History, so much more so than any of the other courses that I have applied to. After all , Art today has its roots in Historical works , so its only natural to learn about its evolution. I think that course sounds so interesting and different to many other Fine Art degrees.

They asked me to briefly discuss my portfolio, choosing a couple of pieces of work to elaborate upon.

All in all it was a nice interview, nothing too formal. They made me feel at ease and in the end it lasted for 25 minutes mainly due to my gob getting carried away lol.

Good luck for those still with interviews to come. :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by Royalmia
I finally got an offer today, 2 weeks after my interview! To be honest i was sure that I was going to be rejected and was so gobsmacked when I got the email. Conditional on Foundation pass , no mention of a-levels :smile:

Like Dale, I was asked why I wanted to study at Newcastle. I told them that I loved how the course places so much emphasis on Art History, so much more so than any of the other courses that I have applied to. After all , Art today has its roots in Historical works , so its only natural to learn about its evolution. I think that course sounds so interesting and different to many other Fine Art degrees.

They asked me to briefly discuss my portfolio, choosing a couple of pieces of work to elaborate upon.

All in all it was a nice interview, nothing too formal. They made me feel at ease and in the end it lasted for 25 minutes mainly due to my gob getting carried away lol.

Good luck for those still with interviews to come. :smile:

Ah congratulations!
I'm pretty sure I'll see you in september!
Can I ask what it says on ucas? Does it say 'pass' or just that you obtain your foundation? Mine doesn't physically say pass but I'm pretty sure they mean all I have to do is get my foundation to get in I.e. Pass

Quick Reply

Latest