Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Words or Numbers

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: World of numbers of words
    Numbers
    43.33%
    Words
    56.67%

• 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Based on a conversation I was having today . . .

Would you rather live in a NUMBERS world with no words, only basic communication, but computers and science etc?

Or . . . in a WORDS world with no numbers, so no technology, but art, music, and culture?

On the poll: Numbers means only numbers, words means only words. :rolleyes:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your poll isn't very clear - are you voting "numbers" for NO numbers, or ONLY numbers?

I voted words, because I'd want to live in a world of words with no numbers.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Live in a world with numbers and use computers to send messages to people.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    my bad read it wrong
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xyonzz)
    Live in a world with numbers and use computers to send messages to people.
    There are no messages. People have cameras on their computers to express basic emotions by facial expression or grunting but no more.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    if numbers exist then you can't not have communication. The alphabet itself is a number system, each letter corresponds to a number, a specific sequence of these numbers conveys a message.

silly thread is silly.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilyas)
    if numbers exist then you can't not have communication. The alphabet itself is a number system, each letter corresponds to a number, a specific sequence of these numbers conveys a message.

silly thread is silly.
    Silly thread is hypothetical and based on preference to the numerical or literary . . . not actually reality.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You needed words to ask the question but we wouldn't be able to answer it without numbers. :hmmmm:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    numbers!... i love maths!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHansa)
    You needed words to ask the question but we wouldn't be able to answer it without numbers. :hmmmm:
    True, which is why things would be crap with only one, now shut up and choose
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtfCharlie)
    True, which is why things would be crap with only one, now shut up and choose
    1223356699090877676665765645324 35667768799098089879768786767565 65765555555555555555555555577777 77777777 777777746766585664545 34667658568788976698809978878787 687876887987090908 89897853423246794563580653468976 43213457890754685435787685656565 7878789895 i 4576877986 e 456677

Does this answer your question?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Or . . . in a WORDS world with no numbers, so no technology, but art, music, and culture?
    pretty sure you need numbers to make art and music, how else could you convey timing or a beat in music, also no musical instrument could be invented without the concept of numbers, and for art how can you create a good picture without proportion and perspective?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can't really answer the question for reasons pointed out by others :P I personally prefer to use words. I'm capable with numbers, accepting an offer for Accounting and Finance at Bath, but I enjoy words more. They're much more expressive, if less practically useful.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingkongjaffa)
    pretty sure you need numbers to make art and music, how else could you convey timing or a beat in music, also no musical instrument could be invented without the concept of numbers, and for art how can you create a good picture without proportion and perspective?
    Music has been created from very little, also, singing. Some cave art and art from before civilisation id very beautiful too . . .
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can still comunicate with numbers, binary etc. Or sign language... Or brail, the list goes on.

Numbers describe the universe.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Words - I'm better at English than Maths
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    On the poll: Numbers means only numbers, words means only words. :rolleyes:
    Are you sure that you haven't taken 'Philosophy' to mean 'Chat'?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Are you sure that you haven't taken 'Philosophy' to mean 'Chat'?
    This.

Your question doesn't actually make any sense. I fear that you may not understand how language works, and invite you to read: Philosophical Investigations by Ludvig Wittgenstein.

I recommend a lot of people to read that.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes OP, negging me will bring lots of sense to your mundane, idiotic and frankly dull thread. Congratulations on failing at philosophy. Feel good?^^
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think some people have taken this a little too seriously. Its like a thought experiment, its obviously not supposed to be literally possible.

Simply do you prefer the concept of numbers or words is how I understand it. Whether either are possible to reduce to separate things is irrelevant, to mention the implausibility is pedantic and childish on your part...

In my opinion I choose words, I personally find works of literature inspiring above all others, although I do sort of understand the allure of the "universal language" of numbers

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 23, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.