Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Normalising Databases?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone good at normalising database? I need to do it for my coursework and just don't get it at all.

So yeah.... comment and give advice if you know how to do it?

Thanks very much
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Anyone? I got to know pretty soon as the deadline is approaching quickly!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What part of normalization do you not understand? What is the level of your database knowledge?

You are trying to organise your data structure (e.g. the tables and fields) such that redundancy can be eliminated (e.g. not storing the same data twice, not duplicating fields to represent the same thing multiple times, not storing unrelated data in the same table, etc). First remove any duplicate fields in a table (e.g. telephone1, telephone2, telephone3) to a new table such that there is only one field in that new table and rows it contains will represent the multiple instances [1NF]. Then make all tables cohesive; that is, making each table represent a unique construct, then add a primary key (a field that uniquely identifies each record in the table), and foreign keys (using the primary key of another table as a field to show the records are related) such that there are no relations which are many-to-many [2NF]. Then remove any fields in a given table are not part of the construct and so are not dependent on the primary key, and therefore not defined by the primary key [3NF].

I hope this helps, but is difficult to explain without examples as once you're used to it, it becomes very intuitive.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.