Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Its pretty simple, no job- no access beyond customs

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just had my first payslip of the new tax year and I'm now paying a significant amount more, per month.

If our current economic position is so poor (which I do not disagree) why are we still allowing people who do not have jobs to enter the UK from the EU (and non-EU) who do not have jobs and will have to claim benefits?

No job- no entry????

It's hardly revelational, is it??
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think we should leave the EU and take a leaf from Australia's book. You can come here if you have served a profession, with all the qualifications and paperwork for a number of years on your own counrty.

Trades like plumbing, electrical and other building professions have to be retrained for in the UK to our standards (payed for by themselves). Massive fines for anyone carrying out work without the proper certificates.

You also can't drive here for more than 3 months on a foreign license.

English speaking is compulsory. Not to the point where you can write a novel, just enough to be able to read road signs and converse with English people properly.

Just my ideas. Not sure how that stacks up with reality but that would be my ideal
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I smell daily mail.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I would mean pulling out of the EU which most people do not think is economically beneficial.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamimi)
    I smell daily mail.
    What's your opinion then? I stay as far away from the daily mail as I can.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    I would mean pulling out of the EU which most people do not think is economically beneficial.
    We're held hostage with some hypothetical threat of no trade should we leave. However did we manage before the EU? There was no such thing as trade before the EU.

Now it's forcing some nonsense ACTA cock and *******s on us. Bloody foreigners.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamimi)
    I smell daily mail.
    Are you disagreeing people come to the UK and claim benefits?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    What you're suggesting would be the nuclear option. With EU migrants, we are legally obliged to accept them into the country to work - if we do not accept that, we have to leave the EU, and that is a totally different debate.

As per non-EU migrants, they do need to jump through various hoops to get into the country, and admittedly I am unfamiliar with the procedure. However, we have an obligation as a developed and humane country to accept asylum seekers at the very least; I am unsure whether you target them with your proposition?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 331sam331)
    I think we should leave the EU and take a leaf from Australia's book. You can come here if you have served a profession, with all the qualifications and paperwork for a number of years on your own counrty.

Trades like plumbing, electrical and other building professions have to be retrained for in the UK to our standards (payed for by themselves). Massive fines for anyone carrying out work without the proper certificates.

You also can't drive here for more than 3 months on a foreign license.

English speaking is compulsory. Not to the point where you can write a novel, just enough to be able to read road signs and converse with English people properly.

Just my ideas. Not sure how that stacks up with reality but that would be my ideal
    Yeah that sounds good,
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyGreenAtheist)
    if we do not accept that, we have to leave the EU, and that is a totally different debate.
    What, just like when we didn't accept the financial transaction tax? I didn't see Germany and France doing much about it......

We are still a powerful country in some ways- we just dont have politicians with balls to act like it!
    • 167 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyGreenAtheist)
    What you're suggesting would be the nuclear option. With EU migrants, we are legally obliged to accept them into the country to work - if we do not accept that, we have to leave the EU, and that is a totally different debate.

As per non-EU migrants, they do need to jump through various hoops to get into the country, and admittedly I am unfamiliar with the procedure. However, we have an obligation as a developed and humane country to accept asylum seekers at the very least; I am unsure whether you target them with your proposition?
    I say just stop all non-EU immigration - including asylum seekers. However, only accept non-EU immigrants if they are going to make an active contribution to Britain and take part in British culture. That's it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    dey took our jerbs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've always agreed with the Australian system. It still gives people a chance to move there.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    We're held hostage with some hypothetical threat of no trade should we leave. However did we manage before the EU? There was no such thing as trade before the EU.

Now it's forcing some nonsense ACTA cock and *******s on us. Bloody foreigners.
    Free trade, free movement of capital and labour are good for growth, they allow us to use our resources more effciently. Intellectual property rights are also very important to allow the devlopment of new products. Ideally the whole world should sign up but it makes sense for the developed world to lead the way since we benefit most from new technology.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    Free trade, free movement of capital and labour are good for growth
    Well they haven't been too cushty for the UK, have they?

Free movement? How many from the UK move abroad to Europe, compared with the numbers who come here?! 30,000 vs 500,000 ??
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the biggest issue is not whether you've got a job when you enter (after all it's fairly difficult to drag a job with you between countries) but rather what kind of job you can reasonably expect to get when you're here.

It's nonsense for the government to go on about building a highly skilled workforce and a well educated population - when you're essentially importing people with low skill levels and poor education. People claim that we want people to do 'the jobs that brits won't do', but that's utter nonsense. No one's advocating that we should educate the people who are already here badly so that they'll make better cleaners. Likewise we should only let people enter the UK if they already have the requisite education/abilities.

In that regard internal EU movement of people isn't a huge problem - most other EU countries have high levels of education and even those with lower incomes will likely catch us up in the next couple of decades. A way bigger issue is immigration from countries with a massive gulf between their income levels and the UK's, for example, those in South Asia, which makes up over 20% of all immigration to the UK. 60% of Pakistanis and 70% of Bangladeshis live in low income households - compared to a rate of 20% for white people. Essentially we've imported a massive underclass and I'm not sure how anyone thinks that's a good idea, either for those already living here or those who've immigrated.

I think a points based system (we actually did have one till a few years ago) makes a lot of sense - I would also not be adverse to having people sit an entry exam - maybe a mathematical and verbal reasoning test.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.