Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So which MMORPG should I play?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    What are you looking for in an mmo?

If you want a very simple and easy game, but is highly repetitive and ends in a competition to see who can dress up their barbie the best way, then play World Of Warcraft.
    Out of every mmorpg which is done in that style (tank/healer/dps), WoW is by far the best, yet ironically the one of the oldest.

If you want an mmo which is actually fun and end in huge 1000 v 1000 fights in which you will actually fight for territory and the expansion of you alliance over others, or an incredibly in-depth economy and market, then play Eve .
    In my opinion Eve is by far the best mmo and the only one that actually seems to have some future vision and is constantly improving.

Sounds like an extended version of O-game.

And at the thread

• 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    ...according to whom? :rolleyes:
    Who says that all mmo's have to play like EQ/WoW?
    Oh that's right, no one. But people like you, who believe it and play/pay for these games make the devs keep on cloning EQ/WoW.
    Its a shame i dont actually pay for these games or play them alot
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Sounds like an extended version of O-game.
    Nothing like it.
    In eve you do control the ships etc and the planetary part is done by very few people and only game in a few months ago (Eve has been going since 2003).
    Here is an in-game shot I took a while ago:

(Original post by gingerben)
    Its a shame i dont actually pay for these games or play them alot
    Therefore they can't be very good
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    EvE.

Next.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    GTFO WOW fans

all about runescape for lyf !
    Runescap3 is obv best since it haz party hatz lolol!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Vindictus is a nice one to start with it. Also AVA or Crossfire.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Guild Wars 2. Nuff Said.
    Seriously though, look it up. Looks like its gonna be amazing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wait for GW2, its coming out in a month or 2. If you can't then DO NOT get Eve, it sucks. SW:TOR/WoW are miles better. WoW is probably the best though.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomgeeza)
    Wait for GW2, its coming out in a month or 2. If you can't then DO NOT get Eve, it sucks. SW:TOR/WoW are miles better. WoW is probably the best though.
    People who say EVE sucks generally just suck at playing it.

EVE is hard. We need a whaaaambulance here!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed WoW, that game lasted a good 3-5 years.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Call me old school but I still play EQ1.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ...better than WoW's story/any other mmo.
    Well that really isn't hard now is it seeing that no other really both with a story

Oh holy ****, you have no idea about the potential Eve has.
    Over 50% of the Eve map, and area you will have never been into, is controlled by players who will be part of huge player alliances and in a never ending power struggle. Complete sandbox PVP endgame is unrivalled to any other game. You can help either ruin or make someones month/year with your actions, and the intensity of the PvP is insane as all the fights have consequences and of course, no re-spawning.

rift = bad WoW clone with a gimmick.
    I have to say, you don't make sense.

He played EvE for a month, if AFTER a whole month of playing a game, you find it boring, THAT IS A FAIR thing to note, I am sorry but that is a valid opinion. If a game needs MONTHS of playing just to get some entertainment, something is wrong. Just because he played 1 month does not make his opinion invalid. If you enjoyed it first month, great for you! If he said he played it maybe 1 day, I'd say, yeah okay... Infact, main reason I didn't get into EvE is because, of the amount of investment/grind required (time wise) - I mean I don't say it to put the game down, even the veterans who have been playing this game for years on, agree it is a huge timesink sometimes with relatively no action - but that can be some peoples cups of tea, if you enjoy the strategic/political and economy side of a game. We are not dumb, we understand EvE is a very sophisticated game with unrivaled depth compared to the normal fantasy games, but please do not be so patronising that our opinions are incorrect - people find different things fun. Look at Chess, can take you a lifetime to master, but how many of you actually use Chess as a pastime (Probably <1%).

Anyway, on the MMO subject. From my understanding this is how it fairs.

The only 2 FANTASY type MMO's worth playing is probably WoW and Aion (it has changed drastically, trust me!). Rift I guess if you like the medieval style, but I thought it was generally a bit more boring, but it has such great feedback, maybe I should say 3.

After that, wait for GW2 - pre-ordered it!

DAOC/EQII although great, I think they are great for having played it at the time/nostalgia imo (kind of how D2 is for me!).

DCU/other instanced based games, never interested me.

So..

GW2, then WoW/Aion/Rift really. If you do play Aion, it is F2P but if your connection is decent, play on the american servers (I am, no issues) - no restrictions, unlike EU.

TERA may be for you I guess, but I disliked it because, I felt the combat mechanics made no sense with its sense of "freedom/aim" combat, as you don't feel free at all, battling seemed to stiff (should have been more like C9/Dragon Nest even...) - something tells me TERA is a very incomplete game so I will not be pursuing that, despite my original hype..

Diablo 3 is round the corner, but it is more MORPG.

Anyway, HF with whatever you choose.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was going to suggest EVE, but then I saw that the TSR MMO demographic actually appears to have good taste and suggested it before I could
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ma2k5)

He played EvE for a month, if AFTER a whole month of playing a game, you find it boring, THAT IS A FAIR thing to note, I am sorry but that is a valid opinion. If a game needs MONTHS of playing just to get some entertainment, something is wrong. Just because he played 1 month does not make his opinion invalid. If you enjoyed it first month, great for you! If he said he played it maybe 1 day, I'd say, yeah okay... Infact, main reason I didn't get into EvE is because, of the amount of investment/grind required (time wise) - I mean I don't say it to put the game down, even the veterans who have been playing this game for years on, agree it is a huge timesink sometimes with relatively no action - but that can be some peoples cups of tea, if you enjoy the strategic/political and economy side of a game. We are not dumb, we understand EvE is a very sophisticated game with unrivaled depth compared to the normal fantasy games, but please do not be so patronising that our opinions are incorrect - people find different things fun. Look at Chess, can take you a lifetime to master, but how many of you actually use Chess as a pastime (Probably <1%).

The only 2 FANTASY type MMO's worth playing is probably WoW and Aion (it has changed drastically, trust me!). Rift I guess if you like the medieval style, but I thought it was generally a bit more boring, but it has such great feedback, maybe I should say 3.

DAOC/EQII although great, I think they are great for having played it at the time/nostalgia imo (kind of how D2 is for me!).

So..

GW2, then WoW/Aion/Rift really. If you do play Aion, it is F2P but if your connection is decent, play on the american servers (I am, no issues) - no restrictions, unlike EU.

TERA may be for you I guess, but I disliked it because, I felt the combat mechanics made no sense with its sense of "freedom/aim" combat, as you don't feel free at all, battling seemed to stiff (should have been more like C9/Dragon Nest even...) - something tells me TERA is a very incomplete game so I will not be pursuing that, despite my original hype..

Eve requires next to no mastery at all; I managed to sub my trial account on the 12th day by buying a PLEX in game; I did this by hitting up a maller and neuting out some guys paladin who recruited me into his corp; got nice goods that I sold off and just started rinsing punishers and rifters for even more tears.

Your game style changes, but if you are smart, and probably either a sociopath or psychopath, eve the game for you.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    EvE is certainly the most hardcore MMO out there, I wanted to enjoy it but got fed up after a couple of weeks flying around to places that were totally disconnected from each other.

WoW and Runescape gave me the most enjoyment, and to those saying that WoW is about dressing up barbies and EvE isn't, you really need a wake-up call WoW isn't as good as it was, however. Gear acquisition is far too easy, but that's not really a concern to the OP for a good month or two
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    the main MMOs I've played recently are EvE, WoW, Rift and SWTOR.

EvE like people have said is good but hella time consuming and tbh i really didn't enjoy it for the first few weeks but after that it did get a lot more interesting.

WoW is always going to be a good one to play, personally i find the end game gets very old very fast but if you've never played it before defo worth checking out.

Rift had potential but didn't reach it, would avoid.

SWTOR is my new mmo and I am really enjoying it, they brought out a bunch of new stuff in a recent update and the leveling process is by far the most enjoyable of any mmo I've played plus the legacy system makes it worthwhile to level different characters. Endgame is a lot more enjoyable than WoWs imo, for instance they recently introduced a world event that revolves around a killer plague and as a reward for taking part you can get various items that although mainly cosmetic are pretty sweet, PvP is going from strength to strength and with the incoming introduction of ranked warzones it is going to get a lot more competitive which is always a good thing, don't really PvE so can't comment but one thing i have heard is the storylines for the raid instances are pretty entertaining rather than a lot of other mmos which is basically "kill this dude cause he be a baddy!"
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    mmorpg....hmm..

haven't found any good ones in particular, probably because I rarely play any mmo's.

I played runescape, requested but declined to be a Moderator as I didn't have the time.

Wow is a good game...but I think it's getting old.....I'm old school.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ma2k5)

So..

Eve is complex and the tutorial is somewhat ****.
    This means that people can miss out on the best part of the game, which is called "0.0".
    Also, their is no "grind" needed. The entire skill system is set up so you can have a life outside of the game.

The problem with the games you list is that if someone is bored of the tank/healer/dps combat, then every fantasy mmo is out of the question as Aion and Rift are just Korean takes on WoW. The same goes for Tera. All of them have terrible level design/no level design, boring and tedious quests, and very dull and slow combat.

The only mmo that could be fun would be Kingdom under fire 2 as it is completely different and fast paced as you cut through swarms of enemies rather than attacking the same stupid monster for a minute.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd really not recommend Eve to someone who's new to MMOs. I feel that this graph illustrates why

Honestly I'd wait for GW2 and give that a try seems to me to have an "easy to play, hard to master" vibe to it. If you can't wait till 2017 or whenever GW2 will be released give TERA a try, by en large it follows the traditional MMO setup but it has hack'n'slash style combat and a cool Guild v Guild pvp system, plus an end game political system.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Ben)
    I'm a big fan of LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online) absolutely fantastic game! Also free to play (if you don't mind grinding points to unlock later questpacks)
    LOTRO lost it's appeal to me a couple years ago. I used to be a massive addict (to the point where I had 9-10months playtime on one character alone :facepalm:). Definitely not as good as it used to be at launch and the following years.

I'd echo the sentiment of waiting for GW2 to launch, looking forward to that

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 23, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.