Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Weird tingling and numbness in my back?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have a weird tingling feeling in my back and sometimes it feels numb. It seems to cover quite a small area, and is located on the right side of my back just under my shoulder.

This has been happening for about a week now. Should I be worried? I don't really want to see a doctor about it because I'm really busy with exam revision.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds kind of like the bottom of my back when I've got the nerve trapped...

Go and see a doctor. You're not so busy with exam revision that you can't spare half an hour, I'm sure.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Could be a whole range of things.

How severe is the pain?
    How often do you have the pain?
    Where exactly is it? For example, toward the top of the shoulder blade or right down on the bottom edge of the shoulder blade.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elwyn)
    Could be a whole range of things.

How severe is the pain?
    How often do you have the pain?
    Where exactly is it? For example, toward the top of the shoulder blade or right down on the bottom edge of the shoulder blade.
    It's not really painful, just irritating. It just feels tingly. It comes and goes at random points in the day. I'd say it's more toward the bottom of the shoulder blade.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onion man)
    It's not really painful, just irritating. It just feels tingly. It comes and goes at random points in the day. I'd say it's more toward the bottom of the shoulder blade.
    It's unlikely to be anything serious, as said above probably either a trapped nerve or musculoskeletal issue. But if you are concerned or the pain gets worse or more frequent you may want to consider an appointment with your GP.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elwyn)
    It's unlikely to be anything serious, as said above probably either a trapped nerve or musculoskeletal issue. But if you are concerned or the pain gets worse or more frequent you may want to consider an appointment with your GP.
    Will this go away on its own?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I got that all the time! It feels like you've pins and needles in your back, yeah? It was a trapped nerve in my case, GP sorted it out.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Will this go away on its own?
    It's hard to say. If it is as a result of straining the scapula or something like that then it probably will over time. If it is something a little more complicated then maybe not.

If you find you can't live with it as it is at the moment go see your GP when you can.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elwyn)
    It's hard to say. If it is as a result of straining the scapula or something like that then it probably will over time. If it is something a little more complicated then maybe not.

If you find you can't live with it as it is at the moment go see your GP when you can.
    Actually, I just remembered I was lifting some heavy boxes last week to help my parents move some things. And this definitely began afterwards, could this be the cause of whatever I'm experiencing?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I just remembered I was lifting some heavy boxes last week to help my parents move some things. And this definitely began afterwards, could this be the cause of whatever I'm experiencing?
    Most probably. In that case it's most likely a muscular problem. Are you having any trouble with movement of the arm? Can you raise and lower it? Can you push and pull things? All without the pain getting worse?

If the answer to those questions is yes, give it a week or so. If it's still the same go see a doctor.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elwyn)
    Most probably. In that case it's most likely a muscular problem. Are you having any trouble with movement of the arm? Can you raise and lower it? Can you push and pull things? All without the pain getting worse?

If the answer to those questions is yes, give it a week or so. If it's still the same go see a doctor.
    I don't have trouble moving my arm and I can raise and lower it and push and pull things. However, when I do these things the feeling seems to be slightly more intense.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't have trouble moving my arm and I can raise and lower it and push and pull things. However, when I do these things the feeling seems to be slightly more intense.
    Then it's nothing too serious. Give it a week, don't do any more heavy lifting, if it's the same see a doctor.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I recently had that exact problem. I went to see a physio, who gave me some exercises to do and the problem has completely gone. Go and see somebody, then stop worrying. It is nothing serious. Something to do with my shoulder blade being in the wrong position - very easily fixed.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amhorangerdgerriug)
    I recently had that exact problem. I went to see a physio, who gave me some exercises to do and the problem has completely gone. Go and see somebody, then stop worrying. It is nothing serious. Something to do with my shoulder blade being in the wrong position - very easily fixed.
    Ah, well that makes me feel less worried.

Also, I know this is kinda off-topic. But how do you pronounce your username? xD
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah, well that makes me feel less worried.

Also, I know this is kinda off-topic. But how do you pronounce your username? xD
    Am-ore-anjerd-jerriug glad I could help with the shoulder problem by the way
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amhorangerdgerriug)

Hello my name is Anthony. Can u please list the exercises ur doc had u doing? In detail please. Thanks

Hello my name is Anthony. Can u please list the exercises ur doc had u doing? In detail please. Thanks

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 30, 2014
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.