The Student Room Group

Why aren't males treating females like Ladies anymore?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Forget that
I'm sorry, I really was appreciating what you were saying until the first reason you give is 'rap music' :colonhash:
Really? The number of times this is used in various arguments is ridiculous. It should be the pop music industry that should be held responsible,
aired far more often and many young children listen to it and are influenced by the ever increasing sexualized language.
I know many would probably disagree, but i think it's wrong to blame the whole of society's problems on a genre of music

I completely agree, it's as if it's okay for white musicians (both male and female) to objectify women and we blame rap for the degradation of society.
Original post by cl_steele
couldnt agree more, damn civil rights..
but sarcasm aside, dont comlain about not being treated like a lady if you all wish to be treated like men.. the two are mutually exclusive.

Nah I'm not, re my post after the one you quoted there. All I want is to be treated like a person -- I don't think too many females expect to be treated like a 'lady' nowadays anyway, whatever a 'lady' is. Just, they hope to be treated with respect!
Reply 122
Original post by Nightstar-27
I don't understand why me wanting to be treated as an equal means I should be treated like I'm scum. I don't want men to treat me like I'm a fragile flower and go out of their way to do things for me but at the same time I don't want to be treated like I'm ugly or hideous because I don't wear revealing or sexual clothing and I don't want to be treated like a sex object when I'm even a little bit dressed up. I just want to be treated with respect and like I'm a human being. I try to be polite and kind to everyone I meet regardless of gender and I value people on their personality and skills other than what sexual organs they have and how attractive they are, and I wish to be treated the same.

So you want me to treat you like I treat other guys?
Because the majority of women no longer act like ladies. They like to be seen as independent and not needing a guy to hold a door open for them.

Edit: Just realised the same point has been made before, nvm.
Original post by hmon93
I completely agree, it's as if it's okay for white musicians (both male and female) to objectify women and we blame rap for the degradation of society.

Thanks for agreeing but i personally would never mention race into an argument like this,
besides it's out of context- there are plenty of pop artists who are not white
Reply 125
I hate how ignorant a lot of people are, thinking rap is all about "money and bitches". This is basically the latest **** to come to mainstream music. Saying that, on this thread people havent genrally had this view which im pleased about.
Reply 126
Original post by jackmikeMon
X

Kind Regards

OP, if you're going to generalise about men, why don't we generalise about women?

Is it only men that judge women? I don't like how groups of women bitch amongst themselves about other people's partners, I don't like how they'll say 'oh he's too ugly for her' or 'oh she's not good enough for him'.

I don't like how women judge men's appearance as though they were a piece of meat on display at a butchers'.

I don't like how many women can't be bothered to make the first move, yet like to play mind games.

generalising is fun...
Well, I'd like to ask 'Why should males treat females like ladies?'. What's the point? I can't think why on earth you should treat somebody differently because of their gender. I like to treat people, like people.
I guess women have developed a more masculine attitude these days, so it's just a reaction maybe. Although in my sixth form, a lot of the guys are quite respectful to girls and open doors for them, letting them walk through first and holding stuff for them. That's just my sixth form though :smile:
Reply 129
Original post by T-Toe
That's 'Chav Night' at a university. The girls have pillows stuffed under their vests.

Yeah but uni students act the same but in different clothes.
Reply 130
Original post by Stefan1991
Do people do that? Some people consider that a swear word and offensive, so obviously some people are going to be offended. But then again some won't. As I've said before, it is not a compliment to say that you would have sex with a certain girl, because guys would have sex with anyone so it's not exactly unique or special.
It's less a compliment but a statement of intent.

As I've said before, the OP wasn't really explaining what exactly he was talking about so no one really has an idea what he means.

But males simply stating their interest has it's roots in the animal kingdom, where males will signal that they are interested in mating with that female using a mating call or whatever. There is the chance the female will be interested also depending on the suitability and attractiveness of the male. Therefore if 20% of the females he says it to answer favourably, then you can not blame him for using a tactic he only has to use 5 times in order to be successful.

Is it not better for people to state their true intentions rather than second-guessing each other into eternity? Ending up with both parties unsure if the other wants to have sex or not, and therefore nobody has sex and everyone loses. Some girls will take being acknowledged by an attractive male that they are a suitable sexual partner, a compliment.

I'm sure some people would take that as a compliment and I'm also sure that sometimes they say it as a statement of intent. But guys who do say usually come/ sway up to me and blurt it out before leaving again. That doesn't suggest they intend to do anything. But going back to the title of the thread, wouldn't it be nice for a guy to at least attempt the slightest bit of romance before he tries to get off with a girl? Or am I just being a hopeless romantic?
Reply 131
Original post by roodootoo
I'm sure some people would take that as a compliment and I'm also sure that sometimes they say it as a statement of intent. But guys who do say usually come/ sway up to me and blurt it out before leaving again. That doesn't suggest they intend to do anything. But going back to the title of the thread, wouldn't it be nice for a guy to at least attempt the slightest bit of romance before he tries to get off with a girl? Or am I just being a hopeless romantic?

But romance would suggest a desire for some sort of emotional/ long term relationship, when both parties may just want sex. And wouldn't it be contrived, disingenuous and cliched acting like you're trying to be romantic with someone you don't even really know?
I think the way in which women are treated is wrong, and it is mostly by 'groups' of men, who appear to be uneducated, or not educated enough.

I think this points out a remark which Derren Brown pointed out, which is that if a person is part of a crowd, or an anonymous crowd. They make decisions which they would morally never make alone.

Also speaking as a gay male teen, I think that women are still treated the same way by men, joked about, as being less able. When infact, alot of the people making these jokes have women as their superiors. Men in general just need to stop acting like top of the food chain smart asses, and learn more about equality.

If we're ever to progress in society, equality is a must, aswell as knowledge. Face it the less educated amongst society generally have more extremist ideas, for instance my parents are not well educated, and are also homophobic to a degree, and have views which an educated person could easily break down.

Media is also another concern, too many adverts are aimed towards men, seeing them as the target audience, and of course to sell things to men, appease their dick. If media took a step back and stopped being so old fashioned regarding advertisements and general marketing we might get the message across that women aren't meant to dress just to please men, or dress in a manner which provokes sexual remarks. I don't think I've once seen girls/women do that regarding a man? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the female mindset seems to be the superior in this area.

Anyway, rant over, to conclude my main reasons behind this behaviour is male decisions when in group compared to moral decisions made alone, aswell as media advertisement, also more education about equality is required if we're ever to move forward as a society.
Well...that's not true...at least for me!!!
Reply 134
Original post by desijut
I hate how ignorant a lot of people are, thinking rap is all about "money and bitches". This is basically the latest **** to come to mainstream music. Saying that, on this thread people havent genrally had this view which im pleased about.

Whatcha talkin bout Willis?

Money and bitches has been a part of rap since the late 80s. I agree that it's not the core part of rap but don't start blaming mainstream hip hop because the two old school artist people constantly like to talk about (2pac and Biggie) both rapped about money and bitches. It isn't just YMCMB and even YMCMB talk about a lot of different subjects, it's just the money and bitches one, which most people like, are the most popular. There's nothing wrong with rapping about money and bitches. If you aren't getting either sure I can see why it would irate. Everything doesn't have to be talking about how you grew up in the hood, the troubles you went through and social commentary. Sometimes all people want to "do Is Screw Drink Bru, With The Crew, On The Avenue" or to speak a little more modernly "Start with straight shots and then pop bottles Flirt wit the hood rats then pop models".
In my experience most guys I know treat me as an equal, it's only the occasional idiot who ever makes sexual remarks towards me or my friends however I don't generalise that to mean that all lads are dick heads.

If a guy doesn't hold a door open for me or give up his seat for me on the bus, I don't care, I'm perfectly capable of standing, similarly if they do either of those things I'm not going to throw a hissy fit and complain about how sexist it is, I'll say thank you because he's being polite.

On the whole "young women dress in revealing clothes to please men" I don't :P if I dress in a short skirt, I do it because it makes me feel good about myself, I don't feel like I'm expected by society to do so, I will dress in a certain way to please myself because it boosts my confidence.
Reply 136
Original post by blu tack
Wait, so you think women should be treated like meek and mild damsels in distress? No thanks. Respect and good manners are important for everyone, not just women. Hold the door open for me because I'm a person, not because I'm female.

No I'm not saying they should, I'm just saying they used to treated that way but because of changing attitudes, that is no longer the case. You're manipulating what I actually said, I'm saying that a lot of people today, regardless of gender do not have good manners.
Reply 137
Original post by Sisu
Whatcha talkin bout Willis?

Money and bitches has been a part of rap since the late 80s. I agree that it's not the core part of rap but don't start blaming mainstream hip hop because the two old school artist people constantly like to talk about (2pac and Biggie) both rapped about money and bitches. It isn't just YMCMB and even YMCMB talk about a lot of different subjects, it's just the money and bitches one, which most people like, are the most popular. There's nothing wrong with rapping about money and bitches. If you aren't getting either sure I can see why it would irate. Everything doesn't have to be talking about how you grew up in the hood, the troubles you went through and social commentary. Sometimes all people want to "do Is Screw Drink Bru, With The Crew, On The Avenue" or to speak a little more modernly "Start with straight shots and then pop bottles Flirt wit the hood rats then pop models".

cooool, tupac and biggie means it's been there since late 80s, money and bitches may have been on their agenda but it wasn't their main topic, it was a little side part compared to the other **** they talked about, whereas the main aim for "artists" now is, "ok let's talk about ****ing this bitch, and oh look I've got lots of money". Yes they used to back in the day, like "I get money" by 50 cent was sampled from audio two, but that line was part of a normal verse. Maybe Hip Hop has evolved, it used to be more meaningful and deep, im not saying some arent lyrically talented, but compared to their predesecors(however you spell it) they are nothing whici is sad. Saying hip hop is the cause of this **** in the thread is stupid..

Had to google YMCMB lol, of course they arent the only ones, never denied it, but saying rap/hip hop is all about money and bitches is bull****
chivalry is dead alright ....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZRflz-93JA

realest video ever
Oh I wish we knew..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending