The Student Room Group

Why aren't males treating females like Ladies anymore?

Scroll to see replies

The people moaning about sexism, you're being absurd.

Is it really that bad that a guy wants to hold a door for you? Is it remotely bad that he pulls out your seat when eating at a restaurant? Should men no-longer give up their seat to a female on a bus?

Whilst it may be sexist, it's not bad sexism, it's positive sexism, they're doing nice things, why not appreciate it - if you don't like it you can ask politely that you're quite capable of doing these things, but there is absolutely no need to have a mini bitch-fit about it. The world is slowly turning into a place where nice things are becoming a rarity.

Some men are being chivalrous just to be nice and not because they want to hop into bed with you because you've got a pair of boobies.
Reply 141
Original post by unique193
She is more precious than rubies.
11 Her husband can trust her,
and she will greatly enrich his life.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.

13 She finds wool and flax
and busily spins it.
14 She is like a merchant’s ship,
bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household
and plan the day’s work for her servant girls.

16 She goes to inspect a field and buys it;
with her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She is energetic and strong,
a hard worker.
18 She makes sure her dealings are profitable;
her lamp burns late into the night.

19 Her hands are busy spinning thread,
her fingers twisting fiber.
20 She extends a helping hand to the poor
and opens her arms to the needy.
21 She has no fear of winter for her household,
for everyone has warm clothes.

22 She makes her own bedspreads.
She dresses in fine linen and purple gowns.
23 Her husband is well known at the city gates,
where he sits with the other civic leaders.
24 She makes belted linen garments
and sashes to sell to the merchants.

25 She is clothed with strength and dignity,
and she laughs without fear of the future.
26 When she speaks, her words are wise,
and she gives instructions with kindness.
27 She carefully watches everything in her household
and suffers nothing from laziness.

28 Her children stand and bless her.
Her husband praises her:
29 “There are many virtuous and capable women in the world,
but you surpass them all!”

30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last;
but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised.
31 Reward her for all she has done.
Let her deeds publicly declare her praise.

perfect description of what a real lady was back in the days. thats from the bible by the way :smile:

Pure perfection indeed.
Reply 142
Original post by jackmikeMon
As I have grown up I have inevitably gained a more in-depth understanding about general intimacy. But in doing so, I have come to recognise a gradual detioration of respect from men towards the opposite sex, which I believe has been gradually breaking down for at least several decades. I find this is especially the case amongst a seemingly large majority of many of my male acquaintances at college, and, although they are not aware themselves that I resent them for it, some of the attitudes they express towards females I find are terribly disrespectful.

Do you consider yourself a social conservative?
Reply 143
Original post by MTR_10
Do you consider yourself a social conservative?

To a certain extent, yes.
Reply 144
Because women don't treat men like men, perhaps?! When will women realise that they insult men in so many forms? The women complaing about sexism - they're not complaining when they get a fat wad of cash from the man in the divorce are they? They go very quiet then.

The wannabe WAG culture.

The sense of entitlement British girls have. Pure ugly.

Looking at men like moneybags and respecting them for that rather than being good men.

There are so so so many things I could come up with if I wasn't feeling mentally exhausted right now.

Women in this country have no class either. They dress like trash, act like blokes ... no individuality.

They manipulate their sexual power to their benefit.

They respect ********s and look down on nice guys.

They don't deserve respect.
(edited 11 years ago)
oh yes because women never talk down to men, or laugh about about them behind their back to their friends, or get wet over half naked men.

Just watch an episode of Loose Women and see them bitching about how inferiour and useless men are or talking about how hot some man is and you will see it works both ways. You talk about rappers saying "bitches" and stuff well you get Beyonce/Lady Gaga/Jessie J and their like that go on about "girl power" and how they are better than men all the time aswell. When rappers refer to bitches and hoe's they don't mean all women just the ones that whore themselves about let's be honest those types of women are gold digging bitches.

It's a joke and a bit of banter man the **** up and move into the 21st century
Reply 146
Original post by jackmikeMon
To a certain extent, yes.

Me too. Problem is most people in the UK are not. Or at least most young people are not.

What to do about it?
Reply 147
Equality presides.
Reply 148
Original post by Jimbo1234
Because most women nowadays are not ladies :redface:

These women drink like men, act like men, sound like men etc. These women would actually feel uncomfortable if they were treated like ladies.

That's what I was gonna say! Well said, Jimbo! :smile:

I think if women actually thought of themselves as ladies, men would treat them as such. Men treat women based on how they act and present themselves to society. Back then, in Victorian ages for instance, they were all elegant and dressed like ladies, they didn't do men's jobs either, that's why men were forced to treat them like these delicate creatures. Nowadays, women do men's work, which has stripped their femininity.

Also, modern media is solely based on objectifying women and young guys are easily impressionable hence more jerky men mistreating women.
Reply 149
Personally I think its kinda creepy and socially awkward for a guy to treat a girl like a "lady" in these days and times. Sure its preferable to treating women like sex objects, but really some people need to loosen up and not treat girls like some precious flower.
Reply 150
Original post by Carecup
Personally I think its kinda creepy and socially awkward for a guy to treat a girl like a "lady" in these days and times. Sure its preferable to treating women like sex objects, but really some people need to loosen up and not treat girls like some precious flower.

That's a good point. Although you say that - but then when you implement that kind of attitude into your every day life you will always get aggro back about not being polite to the opposite sex. In so many scenarios.

I mean look at that ship that sunk recently. Costa coffee I mean concordia ... all the women were like ' how dare the men go before us and our babies ! '

That's what happens when you don't give women preferential treatment.

Basically you're damned if you respect them and treat them as 'ladies' and you're damned if you don't!
because of the whole "men and women are equal" thoughts.
yh they deserve equal rights but hat doesn't mean a guys should be thoughtless as **** and forget how to act to a lady.
(edited 11 years ago)
ITT: People argue about exagerrated stereotypes of both men and women.

Coming from a girl who isn't afraid to wear a knee-length dress on a night out when all my friends are nearly showing their bums, I've been subject to comments from some people making fun of the fact that I'm so covered up - men and women, by the way.

Yes, women are pressured to dress themselves up as sex objects and act a certain way which results in, naturally, men treating them in a derogatory fashion.

However, not only do I believe this pressure comes from both sexes equally, but that you can't generalise the sexes in such a way.
You could also say, why don't women treat themselves like ladies anymore? Some, not all, women have very little self respect and do not act like 'ladies' in the way they dress, behave, talk etc. So when these women put across that attitude, can we expect men to treat them like ladies?

Quick Reply

Latest