The Student Room Group

Half of Britons 'want to relocate abroad'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
definitely leaving the uk, 90% of people here are lazy and ****ing stupid.

crap weather and im sick of being in the same place.

either canada, US, or somewhere hot.
Original post by int92

I am thinking the same. Slowly warming to the idea of the Caymans for a short overlap :colone:

Someone doesn't like warmer climates? :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
I've already been to Canada several times and have family in Ontario. This culture of binge drinking hasn't translated over there. The people are cheerier, more positive and generally have more depth than I find most do in this country. That's not to say everything about Britain is loathsome, there's many aspects I love - but my experience of Canada has been far brighter than my life here and I'd love to get away from the lemmings that surround me.

Canadians and Americans lack depth, they are overly cheerful little drones who live in soul destroying suburbs who vote for conservatives until they decay and die. I think you are going way OTT on how great Canada is, when you finally spend tens of thousands to move to Canada you will realise that it is really very similar to Britain.

I'm not sure what conversation you managed to have with a Canadian but here is a typical conversation with a canuck

Hello how are you today

Canuck - 'ice hockey'

Yes it is cold this time of the year

Canuck - 'ice hockey'

Yer partner is having an affair at the office.

Canuck -'ice hockey, molson beer'
Original post by Space Needle
Canadians and Americans lack depth, they are overly cheerful little drones who live in soul destroying suburbs who vote for conservatives until they decay and die. I think you are going way OTT on how great Canada is, when you finally spend tens of thousands to move to Canada you will realise that it is really very similar to Britain.

I'm not sure what conversation you managed to have with a Canadian but here is a typical conversation with a canuck

Hello how are you today

Canuck - 'ice hockey'

Canuck - 'ice hockey'

True dat.
Australia is top of the relocation destinations followed by the US, Canada and New Zealand

How very British would rather move to the other side of the world,where they speak English, then move somewhere closer to home and learn a new language.:tongue:
Original post by Beebumble
How very British would rather move to the other side of the world,where they speak English, then move somewhere closer to home and learn a new language.:tongue:

I know, but it's very funny really - I think many people underestimate the cultural differences between our nation and other Anglophone nations. Sure, we speak the same language but I think to go and live in the USA for example would probably be even more of a culture shock than to go and live in a country where English isn't spoken. Indeed, I lived in Mexico for a year and found myself more comfortable there than when with Americans - because in fact I had more in common with Mexicans (sense of humour, for example) than with Americans; and even though I'd only be learning Spanish for a couple of years at the time, I improved quickly enough to make it less of an issue than most people think. The differences between Americans and Britons, however, as far as I'm concerned, are less easily overcome!

A lot of people think that because we watch American TV shows and films that we know what it would be like to live somewhere like the States; but I think the reality is in fact very different. Same story with Australia, Canada, NZ etc., which may partly explain the migration reversal that Australia's been witnessing recently.

Personally I can see myself living abroad in the future, but in France, Italy, South America etc., not in another English-speaking country.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 186
Original post by jonnythemoose
x

I have recently been interested in the idea of living in Chile, since it seems to be a pretty flourishing nation compared to the rest of South America (yes brazil has a bigger economy but also a bugger rich/poor divide), and it has amazing landscapes. The prospect of learning spanish doesn't seem to daunting either, since it uses the roman alphabet.

And yes people do underestimate the cultural differences between the UK and USA, especially if you go to a place like Texas or Kentucky.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 187
People should realise that family is the most important thing. not the weather.

If people want to move, they should move closer to their families.
Original post by Space Needle

Hello how are you today

Canuck - 'ice hockey'

Canuck - 'ice hockey'

He speaks the truth.
Original post by digitalfever
Really? I did just that this weekend.

My claim was that the general population is less reliant on the necessity to do so. Not that nobody did.
Reply 190
Original post by int92

lol
Reply 191
Original post by Cyanohydrin

Well places like Edinburgh are not a "grey hole". It just isn't. It has been voted as the most liveable city in the UK. The best large city in Europe. Top 25 city in the world. Top 10 city in the world. Best city in Northern Europe. And so on. When I walk around Edinburgh I cannot move for tourists who love the place. Pretty much the entire city is a UNESCO world heritage site. We have loads of culture - the festival, opera, theatre, political activism, fringe, film festivals, hogmany, tatoo it is a ****ing great place to live. As for Toronto and Chicago - yeah I would much rather live here. Do these places have over 1,000 years of history? Do they have a castle on a huge dormant volcano? No. Plus London is better than all those cities that you mentioned - in fact those cities do not have anything close to what London has. Toronto particularly is somewhere I found a disappointment.

No, just no.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2011/08/liveability-ranking

http://www.mercer.com/press-releases/quality-of-living-report-2011

Note: I don't actually have a problem with the city, I think it's perfectly nice. However I do have an issue with people using false information and not doing any research into their claims.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 192
Original post by int92

If you don't like the weather in Britain, you're definitely not going to like the weather in Canada.
Original post by No Man
If you don't like the weather in Britain, you're definitely not going to like the weather in Canada.

Well it depends where in Canada, weather here in Vancouver is unbearable with rain since it gets more rain then UK all year round.

Other cities like Calgary though only get an average of one rain day a month, it's really sunny in some parts of Canada. Weather in Canada during summer though does hands down BEAT the UK, I think the person meant the weather in the UK all year round.

The average temperature for the summer in the UK was like 16c during the last few summers from what I remember with constant grey clouds, not that summery at all.
Original post by Norlami
No, just no.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2011/08/liveability-ranking

http://www.mercer.com/press-releases/quality-of-living-report-2011

Note: I don't actually have a problem with the city, I think it's perfectly nice. However I do have an issue with people using false information and not doing any research into their claims.

Vancouver ranked 3?! :eyeball: lolwut

Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
My claim was that the general population is less reliant on the necessity to do so. Not that nobody did.

Nope loads of Canadians also do that. Well in the cities anyway, not too sure about the thousands of towns with populations of a 1000 scattered all across Canada though.
(edited 11 years ago)
:frown: Don't move to Manitoba! The winters are extremely harsh! If you think rain is bad try having to leave your house in a parka, snow boots, two hats, two pairs of mitts and that's not counting the long johns under your jeans just because it's -40 outside.
Reply 196
complaining is our national passtime, I happen to quite like it here. may not be perfect, but it is home. I don't understand how you could truly be happy living abroad, no matter how nice another country is, you will always be an outsider there.

and you know how much we complain about immigration over here? yeah, I doubt it is much better abroad. just because you want to move doesn't mean they want you there.
Reply 197
Original post by lucaf
complaining is our national passtime, I happen to quite like it here. may not be perfect, but it is home. I don't understand how you could truly be happy living abroad, no matter how nice another country is, you will always be an outsider there.

and you know how much we complain about immigration over here? yeah, I doubt it is much better abroad. just because you want to move doesn't mean they want you there.

So what you're saying is that even though Britons may not like the country, they're basically just stuck here?
Reply 198
Original post by mixy
So what you're saying is that even though Britons may not like the country, they're basically just stuck here?

no, of course people can move. it is just a lot of people are all "the grass is greener on the other side". I am sure most people who actually move considered it properly and made the right choice, and will be happier abroad than they were here. the rest of the 50% of the country that want to leave? not so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending