The Student Room Group

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ACCOUNTING AND ECONOMICS DEGREE IN TERMS OF......please help

...in terms of job prospects and reputation. Need to decide on uni course..pleaaase help
Reply 1
Usually one decides based on interests. Both an accountant and an economist may be unemployed, both can earn a lot of money and both can be seen by other people as "stupids".

You have to decide in terms of what attracts you more. Those are very different profesions, it is very difficult to compare.
Reply 2
Original post by McRoj
...in terms of job prospects and reputation. Need to decide on uni course..pleaaase help

depends on what u wanna do in life?
Common misconception: Accountants earn a lot of money.
Not to say that after your accounting degree you'll still have do a load more of exams and practice before you're an qualified accountant.
Reply 4
Original post by Emo_Rhino
depends on what u wanna do in life?

i'm pretty sure that the person wants to get into a finance related job.
Reply 5
Economics > Accounting in terms of jobs and reputation.
Reply 6
are very very different paths, economists can't do accounting and accountants can't do economics.

Maybe if you compare finance with economics you can do something. In that case I would choose economics because is more intelectual stimulating.

Really you can't compare those careers, is like comparing Medicine with Engineer WTF:s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by Econla
are very very different paths, economists can't do accounting and accountants can't do economics.

Maybe if you compare finance with economics you can do something. In that case I would choose economics because is more intelectual stimulating.

Really you can't compare those careers, is like comparing Medicine with Engineer WTF:s-smilie:

what the hell are you talking about?

medicine and engineering are completely different economics and Accounting are very similar.

both to do with finance and numerical.

that's not true economists can become accountants.

i think OP wants to know which degree is better for the average finance job.
Reply 8
Original post by non

medicine and engineering are completely different economics and Accounting are very similar.

I have never seen in REPEC for example a specialization in accounting for economists :smile:, on the other hand go to see the courses in an accounting programme, with luck they have 2 courses in economics.

Now check the requirements in most finance masters, the do not consider accounting as a good preparation or comparable to finance.

FINANCE IS NOT ACCOUNTING. They are related but an accountant do not need to know about CAPM, to say something.

I am Engineer with major in Finance, I took 3 accounting courses plus 12 in finance and 8 in economics and I can tell you that accounting is just a tool for finance and I never saw or used accounting in my economic courses besides national income accounting :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by yothi5
Economics > Accounting in terms of jobs and reputation.

How? Why? Convince me please
Reply 10
Original post by Econla
Usually one decides based on interests. Both an accountant and an economist may be unemployed, both can earn a lot of money and both can be seen by other people as "stupids".

You have to decide in terms of what attracts you more. Those are very different profesions, it is very difficult to compare.

Well, i have a belief that days of interests are million years gone....it's more about money,opportunity cost,and maximizing whatever investment you're making now. And i know that you are aware that some interests can doubtlessly lead you into your ''grave.''
And well,if it may interest you,I school in Ghana and my senior high school results were accounting~A
econs~A
business mgt~A
further math~A
So the fact is that i want to put interest aside and make the best out of my chances....would be glad if you'd say sth.
Original post by McRoj
Well, i have a belief that days of interests are million years gone....it's more about money,opportunity cost,and maximizing whatever investment you're making now. And i know that you are aware that some interests can doubtlessly lead you into your ''grave.''
And well,if it may interest you,I school in Ghana and my senior high school results were accounting~A
econs~A
business mgt~A
further math~A
So the fact is that i want to put interest aside and make the best out of my chances....would be glad if you'd say sth.

Accountancy is probably more stable and easier to get a job but the job won't pay as much as if you do get a job in economics.

The likelihood is you probably wouldn't actually become an economist with an economics degree - as there aren't many job vacancies for them. The same principle stands for most other financial jobs though, to be honest.
Reply 12
Original post by non

I do not think you understand what economics is. I majored in Economics and took accounting courses, so I can compare: They have very little in common.

Accounting is a very basic math, but a lot of rules how to apply it. Economics is a very high level math, and very different application. As Economist you need a lot of statistics, as Accountant you need zero statistics, but you may need to know law.

Econ does not have much to do with finance, unless you specialize in finance. Otherwise anything is "numerical", including chemistry and biology

Of course, they can also become astronauts. Or jet pilots. Or ship captains. But it is a very different story.

Then he should go for a Finance degree.
Reply 13
Original post by hassi94
Accountancy is probably more stable and easier to get a job but the job won't pay as much as if you do get a job in economics.

The likelihood is you probably wouldn't actually become an economist with an economics degree - as there aren't many job vacancies for them. The same principle stands for most other financial jobs though, to be honest.

very very helpful....thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending