Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eating 5-6 times a day is a fitness myth. You won't burn more fat doing this!

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Here's a link explaining why. Don't believe the hype, not to mention eating that many times a day is impossible for most working people.

http://www.aviva.ca/article.asp?articleid=260
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This speeds up your metabolism, and combined with cardio you will burn more fat rather than eating 3 big meals. Breakfast should be your largest meal of the day.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b41nzy)
    This speeds up your metabolism, and combined with cardio you will burn more fat rather than eating 3 big meals. Breakfast should be your largest meal of the day.
    Okay, in case you didn't read my first link.....Here's another for you.

http://www.theiflife.com/eating-more...ur-metabolism/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I read the first and that was just 1 source compared to the many saying it does work.

Even if it doesn't speed up your metabolism it helps stop snacking in between meals which is how a lot of people put on weight.

I've never described this diet as a way to burn more fat. Exercise obviously is the way to burn more fat, but the 6 meal a day way of eating is a great diet to aid in weight loss and has produced good results.

End of the day, it works.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Problem is, I'd end up eating 5-6 full size meals...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I read the first and that was just 1 source compared to the many saying it does work.

Even if it doesn't speed up your metabolism it helps stop snacking in between meals which is how a lot of people put on weight.

I've never described this diet as a way to burn more fat. Exercise obviously is the way to burn more fat, but the 6 meal a day way of eating is a great diet to aid in weight loss and has produced good results.

But realistically, who can stop and eat 6 meals a day? Breakfast, OK! Lunch, Ok! Dinner, Ok! But what about the other 3 meals? A person who works from 8am until 5pm is going to find it impossible to eat 6 meals a day, every 2-3 hours. That is why I agree with these articles, as it's impossible to stick to a diet like this! And not to mention, we eat to live, not live to eat. It's also more money to spend on more food, and in all honesty them people who follow the 6 meal a day diet have a calorie deficit because they're eating smaller meals.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it helps stop snacking in between meals which is how a lot of people put on weight.
    This.

This is the main reason why it works. So, in actual fact, it does (in a roundabout way) help to burn fat.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hearty_Beast)
    Problem is, I'd end up eating 5-6 full size meals...
    Exactly, which is what a lot of people do. Because most people eat until they are full and usually a 'small snack' isn't enough.

Plus as OP said, it's not feasible for most working people to do.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What would a typical six small meals be then?? Would it not just all be like snacks anyway, what's the difference?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEnigmaUK)
    But realistically, who can stop and eat 6 meals a day? Breakfast, OK! Lunch, Ok! Dinner, Ok! But what about the other 3 meals? A person who works from 8am until 5pm is going to find it impossible to eat 6 meals a day, every 2-3 hours. That is why I agree with these articles, as it's impossible to stick to a diet like this! And not to mention, we eat to live, not live to eat. It's also more money to spend on more food, and in all honesty them people who follow the 6 meal a day diet have a calorie deficit because they're eating smaller meals.
    Protein shakes/meal replacement shakes?

The idea is that you eat six smaller meals. Not six large ones. You wouldn't actually be spending more money on food. Instead, you'd simply stretch out your daily food throughout the day so you'd be eating the same as you would be on a daily basis if you were only eating three meals.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

I tried to give you pos. rep but ended up negging you by accident! Sorry, I'll fix it by rating one of your other posts

To the OP, surely if the meals are decent food, they would be better than snacks which are essentially crap?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're a trained fighter or athlete, then understandably it's easier to eat 6 meals a day, and for an athlete it would probably be beneficial for energy. But for a normal working person it's nearly impossible, if not impossible to eat that often during the day. Even if you're a student it's still difficult (but doable) because of classes and what not. But for a 9-5 worker, it's near on impossible to do, and you'd soon get discouraged and lose motivation to follow that type of diet. At the end of the day, losing weight has always been about burning more than you consume.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KCosmo)
    I tried to give you pos. rep but ended up negging you by accident! Sorry, I'll fix it by rating one of your other posts

To the OP, surely if the meals are decent food, they would be better than snacks which are essentially crap?
    Yeah it would be better, but then when will you have the time to make these meals and eat them during the day, everyday? You have to have an abundance of motivation, and TIME! to follow a diet like that. 4 meals a day is hard (but doable) for a working person, but 6 meals is ridiculous. Even a working person would have to stick to a sandwich at lunch, because who has the opportunity to make a meal and stick it in the oven or use a frying pan to cook up something?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If one is eating three proper (and when I say proper I mean nutritional) meals a day, they will not feel the need to snack. If people have the ability/willpower to have 6 smaller meals than they'd be able to just not snack in between meals. It's not this impossible thing.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The difficulty that i find, is portion sizes. What is acceptable for a small portion sized meal?

Can anyone shed some information on how big a meal should be, something that could be related in terms of weight, or size, which is generic for all meals?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Actually, it's not a case of "it does work" or "it doesn't work" or "it's a myth" it's a case of it might work for you try it and see.

I eat every 3 hours or so, and it works for me. Keeps me feeling full, keeps the cravings at bay and I'm losing weight.

(Original post by TheEnigmaUK)
    Utter crap. If you have time to take a piss at work you have time to eat a meal. A protein shake and a banana? Done. 350 calories worth of mixed nuts? Done.

Why is it more money to spend on food? You are eating the same amount of food but instead of 3 bigger meals its six smaller ones.

I'm not saying you're wrong im not saying I'm right but you clearly have never tried this and if you have tried it you didn't do it properly.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    My mother actually went on a diet in which she had to eat 5 meals a day. (lots of protein in them as well but essentially normal food). She did it for 12 weeks and of course at first she moaned and complained about work etc but where there's a will there's a way.

At the end of it she lost like 2 stone? So I wouldn't say it just ~doesn't work~

Edit: you count that link as a reliable source?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicharito14)
    The difficulty that i find, is portion sizes. What is acceptable for a small portion sized meal?

Can anyone shed some information on how big a meal should be, something that could be related in terms of weight, or size, which is generic for all meals?
    Take your total calories for the day and divide by 6. Not rocket science.

lol negged, sorry, let me re-state that.

I KNOW DUDE, MATHS IS SO HARD! LETS CURL SOME SETS BRAH!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicharito14)

You could think about it in terms of calories?

Say your need to be consuming 2000 calories a day, you'd divide that by the six meals and you'd have, roughly, 333 calories per meal. You'd need to make sure you were consuming 'good calories' though. As obviously two packets of crisps don't count as a meal. :p:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    yep because I'm really going to eat all of my protein over a couple meals...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 10, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.