Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

British citizenship?

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was born in Gemany, but moved to the UK 8 years ago. I have a german passport but i wanna am i eligible for dual nationality( british and german) im 16 btw
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why? You can live & work with no issues if you have a German passport, since it's an EU country...
    Unless you have plans to work in Bermuda or something..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know but i applied for this programme and it asked if i had a uk passport and i said i was eligible for it, so if i get on it i will have to apply for one, but im not even sure if i am eligible for it lol
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ququ-pops)
    I was born in Gemany, but moved to the UK 8 years ago. I have a german passport but i wanna am i eligible for dual nationality( british and german) im 16 btw
    They need to make a English grammar test for you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i dont think you are eligible, coz your only 16 and there is no reason for you to need to be a national of 2 countries. also they are both in the EU, so you can travel to both countries any time.
    And the main reason people have dual Nationalities is because their partners have a different nationality.
    i think you are eligible for a UK passport but not dual
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You could apply but i think you have to be 18 to officially apply. Otherwise i think you might be a naturalised british citizen already.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...p/eligibility/
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...alnationality/

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fizzyXD)
    i dont think you are eligible, coz your only 16 and there is no reason for you to need to be a national of 2 countries. also they are both in the EU, so you can travel to both countries any time.
    And the main reason people have dual Nationalities is because their partners have a different nationality.
    i think you are eligible for a UK passport but not dual
    Each country has different rules on dual/multiple citizenships, but some countries don't have restrictions on dual/multiple citizenships, and it's possible for someone to hold citizenship of several countries at any one time.

I don't know what Germany's law is, but if Germany allows dual citizenship, then the OP could claim UK citizenship without giving up his German citizenship. He would therefore be a dual citizen. The UK allows dual/multiple citizenships.

I have dual UK and US citizenship but I've never lived in the US, it's because my dad is American, and he registered me and my siblings for US passports/citizenship at birth. My mum doesn't hold US citizenship though, being married to someone doesn't give you the right to dual citizenship, and were my parents ever to move to the US (highly unlikely), my mum would have to live there for several years before becoming a full citizen.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i dont really mind giving up my german nationality, I just wanted to know is it possible if I could get a british passport considering how long i lived here and everything even though my family is german
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    anyone?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You have lived here for more than the five years required to apply for naturalisation, however you are under 18, so you cannot apply yourself.

You would have to wait until you are 18 to apply yourself.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    i dont really mind giving up my german nationality, I just wanted to know is it possible if I could get a british passport considering how long i lived here and everything even though my family is german
    you dont have to give up german citizenship
    you can get a british passport
    although you are underage so someoen else would have to apply for it for you...
    look at the links i posted it give syou full info
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guyss

sorry to ask but i got into the programme i was trying to get into and its for british people or people who can get british passports!
    All the websites i look at dont make sense and say that i either have to get naturlized, but am not old enough and i need to apply for it ASAP, i need help URGENTLYYYY
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guyss

sorry to ask but i got into the programme i was trying to get into and its for british people or people who can get british passports!
    All the websites i look at dont make sense and say that i either have to get naturlized, but am not old enough and i need to apply for it ASAP, i need help URGENTLYYYY
    you have to get someone older than you to do it for you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How though, an how long will it take, I'm really stressing out
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    One of your parents or legal guardian has to fill out form AN for you, assemble the required evidence (guide AN) and pay the fee. You also need to obtain two references for a section of form AN, one from any person with professional standing (minister of religion, doctor, teacher, etc.) and another one from a person with professional standing who is also a british citizen (obv. they may both be). You also have to provide evidence of knowledge of life in the UK, by taking a Life in the UK test (as I guess your level of English is above Entry 3 ESOL so you are not eligible for the citizienship courses). UKBA say they try to make a decision within 6 months, however they may take longer.

You can download form AN, the booklet and the guide (really read this, it's the most clear and reliable information you can get!) from http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...aturalisation/. For the Life in the UK test have a look at http://lifeintheuktest.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/.

Upon acquisition of a foreign nationality you automatically lose your German citizenship as per German law. However, you can apply for an exception (which is always granted afaik) by requesting to retain German citizenships because of existing strong ties with the country (such as your already mentioned German family ties). I think you may best look at the BMI website (http://bmi.bund.de) for information on that. However, it is important that you get this exception before you are naturalised so best check this at the same time as the naturalisation process.

Good luck!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its okie, I dont need it anymore, thanks for the help though

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 12, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.