The Student Room Group

AQA stats 1

Can i use the calculator where i am able to do stuff on it directly without having to show working on stuff like:
standard dev
normal dist
regression
correlation
binomial dist

So, can i just write the answer down and get full marks or do i have to show my working?
Reply 1
Yes, if you get the correct answer you will be awarded full marks, this exception only occurs in Stats modules.

Quite risky though mind.
You have to show your working to show you understand the method. The calculator is there to check and to speed stuff up, i.e you would show them what the standard deviation formula is, what your values of each variable are and then you can write in the answer and that should get you the marks.
Reply 3
Original post by claret_n_blue
You have to show your working to show you understand the method. The calculator is there to check and to speed stuff up, i.e you would show them what the standard deviation formula is, what your values of each variable are and then you can write in the answer and that should get you the marks.

You're allowed to write down the answer and show no working. If correct, you're automatically awarded full marks.

This only occurs in Stats modules.
Reply 4
Original post by f1mad
Yes, if you get the correct answer you will be awarded full marks, this exception only occurs in Stats modules.

Quite risky though mind.

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp-ms/AQA-MS-SS1B-W-QP-JUN09.PDF
3a (the lot of them)
On stuff like that, it's just a chore having to go through the booklet to get the correct ans.
Then on questions like 3b, you can't do it on the calc, so you use the z equation to work it out.

It saves you so much time, which is never a bad thing in a exam ... :tongue:
Reply 5
ok, just found this:

No Method Shown
Where the question specifically requires a particular method to be used, we must usually see evidence of use of this method for any marks to be awarded. However, there are situations in some units where part marks would be appropriate, particularly when similar techniques are involved. Your Principal Examiner will alert you to these and details will be provided on the mark scheme.
Where the answer can be reasonably obtained without showing working and it is very unlikely that the correct answer can be obtained by using an incorrect method, we must award full marks. However, the obvious penalty to candidates showing no working is that incorrect answers, however close, earn no marks.
Where a question asks the candidate to state or write down a result, no method need be shown for full marks.
Where the permitted calculator has functions which reasonably allow the solution of the question directly, the correct answer without working earns full marks, unless it is given to less than the degree of accuracy accepted in the mark scheme, when it gains no marks.
Otherwise we require evidence of a correct method for any marks to be awarded.
Reply 6
Original post by uxa595

Like I said, examiners are aware of these powerful graphical calculators which work out the answers in the tap of a few keys.

Quick Reply