Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sleep!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014

Hiya,

Due to stressful circumstances, I got 2.5 hours interrupted sleep last night (on a hard floor with my head on a beanbag).

As a student I did this in the knowledge I could nap during the day, but I've no idea how to go to my 9-5 job and stay alert.

I don't like Redbull/energy drinks, and I don't have ProPlus.

Any ideas?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    lots of coffee? O_O
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hiya,

Due to stressful circumstances, I got 2.5 hours interrupted sleep last night (on a hard floor with my head on a beanbag).

As a student I did this in the knowledge I could nap during the day, but I've no idea how to go to my 9-5 job and stay alert.

I don't like Redbull/energy drinks, and I don't have ProPlus.

Any ideas?
    Don't drink caffeine. You'll be energetic for a while and then you'll just have one almighty crash. (Made that mistake at college). Eat some crisps and hope you don't fall asleep! Tiredness comes in waves, so if you do an all nighter, you'll feel like hell at about 7am, but then you'll feel totally fine at about 10am (Just an example), then you'll become tired again later on. Just fight through the tiredness waves with high carb/sugary foods.

That's what I do, it tends to work for me
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Willpower
    Keeping yourself busy
    Maybe sleep a bit more before work
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just keep working. Eat and drink plenty to keep your energy levels up. A half hour nap during the day can help - longer than that tends to be counterproductive, so set an alarm. Believe me, when you have no alternative it's possible to survive on about a couple of hours' sleep for several days, although obviously your decision making and coordination will suffer a bit. The joys of being a junior doctor! (yes it does still happen in some specialties - the NHS just has to fiddle what it counts as work - just because I'm in the hospital at 3am seeing patients doesn't mean I'm counted as 'working' from the point of view of pay or the European working time directive!)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.